Which Visa should I start with

Hi everyone

Simple question, I intend to retire to Thailand this year, my wife is a Thia/British citizen.   I know that there are a few options available to me to gain that initial visa to enter LOS and then do the necessary for a prolonged stay once I get to Thailand, but what advice do forum members have on that initial visa application?  Do I go for a  SETV, a METV, or a Non- Immigrant O visa; what has the least hassle attached? 

Many thanks in anticipation.  

If you plan on applying for an extension of stay here getting a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai would be your best option. You could also apply for a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of its issue at the embassy in London. No financial proof would be needed.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Do I go for a  SETV, a METV, or a Non- Immigrant O visa; what has the least hassle attached? 

A single entry non-immigrant visa based on marriage would be the best option. Once in Thailand you can apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage or retirement.

Avoid entering Thailand as a tourist because you would need to apply for a non-immigrant visa when in Thailand, which can be a pain, before applying for the extension of stay.

If you have at least the equivalent of 800K or an income of 65K you could apply for a non-immigrant 'O-A' (long stay) visa. It requires more paperwork hassle to get, but gives you 1-2 years in Thailand before needing to apply for an extension of stay.

• 2 weeks later...