Help with Strategy to take Myanmar GF to US for a visit

Hi,

My Myanmar GF want to visit my parents in the US. We live in Thailand, She has an official passport and we want to get married to. Please don't freak out - those of you that have had a bad experience with marriage. We've been together 3 years - we're solid. That said - we just want to visit in the easiest and least hassle way possible. She could take some classes, we could get married either Thailand, Myanmar or the US (fiancé visa? or we could apply for a tourist visa) I've got an appoint with the US embassay next week, but I"m hoping someone can point me in the best direction before then. Thanks. Scott

OP - you should be fine.

Until there is any formal marriage arrangement - continue on the tourist visa track (or whatever the US equivalent is)

Post back after your US embassy appointment and let us know how you go.

And don't worry about others freaking out about the marriage...  I am a nearly 20 year expat here and in my experience you will be fine.

7 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

OP - you should be fine.

Until there is any formal marriage arrangement - continue on the tourist visa track (or whatever the US equivalent is)

Post back after your US embassy appointment and let us know how you go.

And don't worry about others freaking out about the marriage...  I am a nearly 20 year expat here and in my experience you will be fine.

LOL:

yea right,  and what does 20 years here have to do with anything??

I took my thai gf ( who I had a child with) back to the states in '98, we did the fiancé visa  and still took over 6 months to do everything, they give you one thing and they dont tell you the next step till you  have completed the previous one.  DONT do this route unless you plan on 1. getting married in the states, 2, staying in the states.  Same dont get married JUST to get a visa to visit the states

Since 9/11and now with trump, things have gotten much harder/slower.

does she have a good job, money in bank, Land/house, reference letters, sponsorship from someone in the states ( ur parents?) ?

Not saying it cant be done but.......

20 years here, PhuketRichard, means that I have personally known or been in contact with a great number of foreigners who have married Myanmar women, and have gone through the processes (whether before or after marriage) to get their spouse a visa.

I have been a witness to some of these and provided letters or reference or support to others.

Belittle me if you wish. I note you at least gave some helpful advice in your second post, in contrast to your flippant first post which offered nothing at all to the OP

Thanks AT,

Basically the US embassy gave me the documents I needed to get married in Thailand. The documents suggest that I go to the Myanmar Embassy to fill out similar paperwork for my gf. I had read another post where the forum member had succeeded with getting an agent in Myanmar, getting the necessary paperwork and then carrying out the marriage in Thailand. There was another post of someone who did exactly as stated and also had success. It makes sense to try that route first and see if it works. I just wish I had some more time now to do so. Thanks so much for your encouragement. It does mean something to be here 20 years and hear and see some success stories. Scott

Archived