April Immigration and Embassy/Consulate Closures

A friend of mine seems to think that I won't be able to get a visa on arrival for Laos. Because of songkran she thinks the office at the border will be closed. I think she is wrong but it dose no harm in checking. So will the office be open on the 18th?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, juice777 said:

A friend of mine seems to think that I won't be able to get a visa on arrival for Laos. Because of songkran she thinks the office at the border will be closed. I think she is wrong but it dose no harm in checking. So will the office be open on the 18th?

They do not close for holidays. They are open every day of the year.

3 hours ago, juice777 said:

The visa on arrival office will open. The only difference is that, on public holidays, they will most likely add a $1 "overtime fee" to the regular visa price.

According to my month of April Bangkok Bank Calendar page the 17th of April is not colored as a holiday however the 13th and 14th are. Unless the colored dates are only meant for bank closures and not holidays, I am not sure.

April 2017.JPG

Edited by BobTH

Well I just called the Thai Immigration Hotline number and the nice girl there told me that they are open for business as usual on the 17th. Hum..... I guess we will see.

That is interesting. I was quoting an "expert" on a Facebook visa group who also claimed to have phoned for confirmation! As you say, we won't know for sure until the day itself. [emoji52]
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That is interesting. I was quoting an "expert" on a Facebook visa group who also claimed to have phoned for confirmation! As you say, we won't know for sure until the day itself. emoji52.png

Ok, a big apology to you brewsterbudgen. I was thinking that Monday was the 18th and I asked the hotline about the wrong date. I called back and they did confirm to me it is closed Monday.  Sorry again.

Ok, a big apology to you brewsterbudgen. I was thinking that Monday was the 18th and I asked the hotline about the wrong date. I called back and they did confirm to me it is closed Monday.  Sorry again.

No worries. At least we have a definitive answer now!
  • Like 1