Need advise about what to do with a dog that belongs to another neighbor

Samacha

Hello I am living in khon kaen and I am 29 years old. My father is from Australia  and mom is Thai. My situation is like this, I have a dog that always keep coming to my home. Must be a month now. It started to come to our home last month ago, we have a 2 dogs outself. A lebrador retriever and a Thai ridgeback both 6-7 years old. Now this golden retriever keep coming to us. We found out who the dogs belong to but it keeps coming to our house. Well now it stays here for 1 week and the owner came pick him up , and he takes him back and he comes to us again in about 1 day or even 6 hours. We fed him the first time and also brought him to a vet when he was sick. I am not a guy that would let a dog to starve or die because he stays out in the rain. The thing is this back and forward, come here for around 1 week and go back for 1 day at most, and come back again..... It's now the 5th time by today..... Yeah as I am writing now on this forum he came back again. Today when I got up I saw him sleeping in front of our gate lol. I asked around the area and shop and they told me the family he is with don't take care of him and let him stay on the street. He eats bones etc.....and always is full of bugs when he comes to us. Our other 2 dogs we keep them at home locked and let them go for a walk only to do their business etc.... So we had to clean and wash him every time he came to our house that golden retriever..... Now that's my situation lol what should I do lol? I ask them every time to pick them up, even phoned them and also even brought him their, but he keeps coming.  You see we even asked if we could buy that dog, because what I can see its that those Thai family can't take care him, let him stay outside and let him eat rubbish and bones etc.....  It seems the hold neighborhood knows that the dog doesn't like it their lol. Last night he seems to even broken their gate and came to sleep here. Well any advise? I told the owner this:

hello again if you dont pick up your dog TODAY, we will keep him. He came again last night and slept here. He is been eating and taken care of here. Our family take care him and vet him. We dont like it when we take care of him for 7 days, then we have to give him back. It cost money to feed him, atleast 150 bath per day, so you can imagine how much it cost a week to take care him. And suddenly you pick him up after 7 days, we always tell you to pick him up on the first day. If you dont pick him up today, the dog will be ours and we wont give it back. So pick him up today if you want him, if not then we take care of him and you wont get it back. If you can't take care of your dog then we think you should give him away to a better home.

that what I wrote to them haha

so what it's your guy advise ? thank you for any kind of help or advise lol

He is a beautiful dog. Next time he comes...keep him in the house and when the owner comes for him, tell him you have not seen him. Keep him, if you don't he will end up dead. keep him and do the right thing.

Difficult for a falang like me to answer this one. It's a case of 'gut feeling verses Thai culture' and the two are often at odds with each other.

My gut feeling says that the dog 'knows a good home when he sees one'. and has decided you're it. And as cats often do, he's decided to move in. Dogs are usually very loyal to their owners, even if it is miss treated, so it is clearly unhappy with its lot and decided to move on. Personally I would be inclined to adopt him and give him a loving home.

But then you may well run up against Thai culture. Basically possessiveness and 'loss of face'. I my opinion, you'd be better served seeking advice from a Thai on that one, maybe starting with your mother.

But I have to say that their response isn't always what we'd like to hear I'm afraid.

Good luck with this one pal. It's a difficult call.

Edited by Moonlover

Very difficult problem as the dog obviously knows where it is loved but thais, generally,  are not a responsible people and they don't really care much about animals. You could ask the owner if you could 'buy' him? if he has no money to feed the dog a couple thousand might fix the problem?

Good luck and let us know what happens and thank you for being 'jai dii'

14 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Go and see the local headman and ask him to mediate the purchase of the dog, may cost a bottle or two but I am sure the dog will be worth it good luck.

27 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Nice mutt. Yep, offer the 'owner' some money but don't get bent over.

44 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Give the owner 1000 THB for the dog! That way he won't lose face in the village and will but him a case of Law kao!

As I said above we offered to pay him of course, but man he been here aready  for must be 25/26 days and the cost we take care him must be more then 2000 bath haha vet cost efc...,

1 hour ago, tonray said:

He is a beautiful dog. Next time he comes...keep him in the house and when the owner comes for him, tell him you have not seen him. Keep him, if you don't he will end up dead. keep him and do the right thing.

I have a couple of tips, both loosely based on tonray's suggestion above. The next time the dog comes to stay, treat him as your own and ignore the owner. If and when the owner comes around to reclaim him you have 2 choices.

1. If the dog is out of sight, you tell the owner that: 'Yes, he is here, but whenever you come near he hides and we don't know where'.

2. If the dog is in view you challenge the owner as follows: 'You leave our premises and leave the gate open. If the dog follows you, you keep him. If he doesn't, we keep him'.

Both scenarios would probably involve a face off.  But also you have, in effect, allowed the dog to make the decision.

Bold and a bit cheeky I know. But you never know do you?

49 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Go and see the local headman and ask him to mediate the purchase of the dog, may cost a bottle or two but I am sure the dog will be worth it good luck.

yes ,    this is the way to solve this problem.   Find the local chief ....  usually at the temple ...  explain your concern and that you'll give him 500 baht for the dog.  Let the chief negotiate with the owner .....  

this way it's official ....  you'll be seen as a good guy by the village ....  and he won't lose face ,  and he won't have any recall ... ( its a thai thing)

I had a similar situation. It was a nice but bedraggled dog. I solved the problem by giving the dog to a friend of mine who took good care of him. When asked about the dog, I said that I have not seen him lately. That was the truth.

Nice dog if you can afford to house and feed him and they cannot then it's a win win but yes maybe they will only think of themselves and lose face. Be nice to keep the dog but try to draw the line on this one as you may go bankrupt if other dogs notice the upgrade you provide.

10 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nice dog if you can afford to house and feed him and they cannot then it's a win win but yes maybe they will only think of themselves and lose face. Be nice to keep the dog but try to draw the line on this one as you may go bankrupt if other dogs notice the upgrade you provide.

Nice one. :smile: Yes, whatever you do, don't put out a 'welcome' mat in Woofese !!!!!

Edited by Moonlover

bad thing happen, the dog was run over by a car. The family picked the dog up at around 9pm last night. I found out by a shop owner that the dog was run over by a car around 2 am in the early morning. Was shock me as a farang the most is that the family just trow the body inside the bin. I just found out now and wanted to get the body a proper bury. Man I feel a guilty myself, if I didn't let him go he wouldn't have died. 

23 hours ago, Samacha said:

bad thing happen, the dog was run over by a car. The family picked the dog up at around 9pm last night. I found out by a shop owner that the dog was run over by a car around 2 am in the early morning. Was shock me as a farang the most is that the family just trow the body inside the bin. I just found out now and wanted to get the body a proper bury. Man I feel a guilty myself, if I didn't let him go he wouldn't have died. 

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Maybe the guy belongs in the bin? Bury him somewhere. 

P.S. Please don't start to feel guilty, it's obviously not your fault. Cheers

Edited by ajarngreg

• 3 weeks later...