Six seriously injured in accident on Bang Na-Chon Buri expressway

webfact

Six seriously injured in accident on Bang Na-Chon Buri expressway
By The Nation

CHACHOENGSAO: -- Six people were seriously injured when a pick-up truck crashed into the rear of a van that was slowing down to avoid pick-up truck that had overturned on the Bang Na-Chon Buri elevated expressway early Monday.

Police said the accident happened at 2.30am on the Chon Buri-bound lanes of the expressway in Tambon Homsilp of Chachoengsao’s Bang Pakong district.

Police said the van was chartered to take a group of young men to Lop Buri for the annual military conscripting process. 

Four men in the van were injured and taken to Chularat Hospital. Nine others were slightly injured.

Somboon Klinhuan, 49, said he spotted the overturned pick-up truck so he slowed down and was hit from behind by the pick-up.

The pick-up that hit the van was driven by Poolsak Suebsunthorn, 30. He and his wife were injured and taken to the same hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311125

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-03

Wife and I often use a bit of team work in the car, spotting potential hazards, calling out brake lights ahead, turning on the Hazard/4-way flashers for rapid decel, etc. 

Hurtling along a 60 mph / 100 kph, you are covering about 90 feet per second.  The average adult takes roughly 1.5 seconds to recognize and react to a hazard, during which time you've covered about 135 feet.  And then many lock the brakes up which, before or in absence of ABS, means you're just along for the ride.  Moderate speed and plenty of space gap is the key.  Easier said than done here though. 

29 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Wife and I often use a bit of team work in the car, spotting potential hazards, calling out brake lights ahead, turning on the Hazard/4-way flashers for rapid decel, etc. 

Hurtling along a 60 mph / 100 kph, you are covering about 90 feet per second.  The average adult takes roughly 1.5 seconds to recognize and react to a hazard, during which time you've covered about 135 feet.  And then many lock the brakes up which, before or in absence of ABS, means you're just along for the ride.  Moderate speed and plenty of space gap is the key.  Easier said than done here though. 

Are there speed/distance ratios in the Thai road rules? Moreover, does any Thai driver know them?

11 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Are there speed/distance ratios in the Thai road rules? Moreover, does any Thai driver know them?

I have seen painted separation markers on the roadway here somewhere, can't recall where now.  Might have been on the Bkk-Pattaya motorway.  Otherwise, doesn't seem to be a wide spread practice.  Then again, aggressive drivers in Los Angeles will jam their car into a gap, so not just an LOS thing.

Only a fool ignores the 2 second rule.

Pick a sign post or telegraph pole at the side of the road ahead of you and count out loud as the vehicle in front passes it    "GO second, one second, two second" and if you pass the object before you say two,

you are too close to that vehicle...I try for 4 seconds but there is always another d*ckhead wants to fill the gap in front of you.

I doubt if any locals know this above or could / want to comprehend it.

I've avoided many a near miss using this system, and helps you concentrate more what is happening ahead.

12 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

Only a fool ignores the 2 second rule.

Try to follow the 2 second rule in traffic here, and I guaranty you someone will slip into that space.  Probably half a dozen "someones" within a minute or two.  

I do the best I can, but I don't pass judgment on someone who gets caught out because advice from back home doesn't always work here.

"Six people were seriously injured when a pick-up truck crashed into the rear of a van that was slowing down to avoid pick-up truck that had overturned on the Bang Na-Chon Buri elevated expressway early Monday."

I'm sure this crash would have been avoided if the road was fixed and all the vehicles involved would have had their headlights on.:cheesy:

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

Try to follow the 2 second rule in traffic here, and I guaranty you someone will slip into that space.  Probably half a dozen "someones" within a minute or two.  

I do the best I can, but I don't pass judgment on someone who gets caught out because advice from back home doesn't always work here.

Not to mention, you'll get undertaken then when the road clears up the agressive undertaker will take 5 minutes to speed up.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Hell, it doesn't work that well "back home," either.  In the U.S., aside from someone else squeezing in, there are also the jerks behind you flashing their lights and laying on the horn because although you're going the exact same speed as the person in front of you, you're not riding up that person's bumper.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Have to agree with you on this one, no matter how hard I try to leave a healthy gap between myself and the vehicle in front any number of Somchais will fill that gap in a heartbeat, they think a safe gap from the vehicle in front is one that you wouldn't get a motorcy in sideways :wai: