Jump to content

Crappy Captiva from Chevrolet Thailand


Recommended Posts

Bought a fully loaded Captiva in 2012 for B1.5 million and it has been nothing but a lemon. The list includes problems with the wheels, brakes, AC, internal gears, transmission, GPS, engine lights and the list goes on. The dealership on Petchaburi Road says it is not their fault and Chevrolet Thailand says it is the dealership’s responsibility. Round and round we have gone.

 

With only 85,000 kilometers now on the car, I expected much better. I have asked numerous times via email and Facebook for someone in management to respond to my complaints. The customer service representative (on his 90 days probation period) has been the only one to respond. He explained that contact information for the management was confidential and he would be fired if the information was given out.

 

Customer service along with our Captiva is crap at Chevrolet Thailand. The Consumer Protection Board of Thailand said sorry, they only deal with matters less than three years old.

 

Been here since ’99 and should know better. Suggestions?

DSC_2067.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

 


Hi G.

Yes, what Transam said. Pass the issues onto someone else. Cruel, but how it works here.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
 

 

Already bought a Ford Ranger!  Just aggravated  insomuch that I grew up Chevys and was looking forward to owning one in Thailand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I thought it was a Fiat?  kinda explains why they are crap. Chevy in name only.

They are sold under the Holden badge in Australia, but they were developed by Daewoo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

They are sold under the Holden badge in Australia, but they were developed by Daewoo.

They seem to buy up brands and then stick their badge on them. Opel and Vauxall Spelling) being 2 recent examples. You don't seem to be getting any American engineering outside the USA. They are now trying to move all manufacturing to Rayong,Thailand from their base in the USA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, thequietman said:

They seem to buy up brands and then stick their badge on them. Opel and Vauxall Spelling) being 2 recent examples. You don't seem to be getting any American engineering outside the USA. They are now trying to move all manufacturing to Rayong,Thailand from their base in the USA.

Thought Vauxhall and Opel were always USA GM...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, missoura said:

Already bought a Ford Ranger!  Just aggravated  insomuch that I grew up Chevys and was looking forward to owning one in Thailand.

After the problems with a Thai manufactured Chevy you opted for a Thai manufactured Ford,  you appear to be a glutton for punishment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

They seem to buy up brands and then stick their badge on them. Opel and Vauxall Spelling) being 2 recent examples. You don't seem to be getting any American engineering outside the USA. They are now trying to move all manufacturing to Rayong,Thailand from their base in the USA.

Opel and Vauxhall have been part of GM for years and years, but operated independently.

 

Now recently sold to Peugeot, but I think permission is still required for the sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

I thought it was a Fiat?  kinda explains why they are crap. Chevy in name only.

diesel engine in the first model was designed by VM Motori (and built by GM Korea), which also made engines for FIAT trucks and vans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

owner of the first series here. 2008 to be exact. bought 2nd hand at about 100000 km

 

only big breakdown was the ECU last year, but other than that, just routine things, due to age (close to 10 years old)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to tell from the OP what exactly went wrong. Minor things or major breakdowns. "Problems" can be from a minor reset of the check engine light to major transmission failures. If Chevy service is bad, and it is off warranty, many good shops around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think your on your on own, but I guess that's what you think anyway. After 5 years the manufacture will claim you have had fair use from the car.

In the UK generally warranty is seen as 1 year, however consumer law says the purchase should be fit for intended use for a car that means a lot longer than a year, even so after 5 years unless the car been off the road a high proportion of the time your unlikely to get satisfaction.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Hard to tell from the OP what exactly went wrong. Minor things or major breakdowns. "Problems" can be from a minor reset of the check engine light to major transmission failures. If Chevy service is bad, and it is off warranty, many good shops around.

Both minor and a couple of major problems (transmission).  It gets old having to go to the dealership every month or so and spending a few thousand Baht for something that is not covered under a warranty.  The only thing we should have to do with this vehicle is to put gas in it and take it in for scheduled maintenance, especially with only 85,000 km showing. This has not been the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, missoura said:

Both minor and a couple of major problems (transmission).  It gets old having to go to the dealership every month or so and spending a few thousand Baht for something that is not covered under a warranty.  The only thing we should have to do with this vehicle is to put gas in it and take it in for scheduled maintenance, especially with only 85,000 km showing. This has not been the case.

Cars should be good for 100K kms. That's one reason why the warranty is 100K km / 3 years. I've had a few problems with my 2004 honda - mainly the air cond unit and airbag sensor....but its 240K kms already, so age and wear and tear take its toll.

 

Jap cars seem more robust (especially electrics) than other brands, even luxury euro cars like Benz. A toyota / honda is not the most exciting car, but problems are generally minor and they go forever if looked after well. Live and learn. I do like the ford ranger / everest line though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warranty is based on commercial decisions like the competitive offerings and the like backed up with warranty data to ensure the financial side is good. Cars should last decades if look after.

I have a Ford Ranger that 18 months old and has let me down twice, which I consider too many times, it's more than my others cars have let me down in 5+ years


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:

 

 Still arguing over the GPS. Chevy offered us  a replacement for only B49,000. I said no and took the car back with nothing being done.

 

I have received a few emails from Chevy saying sorry for the inconvenience but there is nothing more that they can do. Only after I emailed the CEO of GM together with Chevrolet Thailand did I receive an email from a 'senior' management person in Bangkok. We are supposed to talk after Songkran. Will see...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/04/2017 at 11:40 PM, colinchaffers said:

I think your on your on own, but I guess that's what you think anyway. After 5 years the manufacture will claim you have had fair use from the car.

In the UK generally warranty is seen as 1 year, however consumer law says the purchase should be fit for intended use for a car that means a lot longer than a year, even so after 5 years unless the car been off the road a high proportion of the time your unlikely to get satisfaction.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

A one year warranty in the UK would be very rare and uncompetative nowadays. Most are 3 to 5, Kia push certain items to 7 or 100,000 miles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me say it another way, the manufacture can give whatever warranty he chooses, say 3 years even so they are still liable for up to 6 years (in the UK) for complaints that are not due to wear and tear or misuse etc, I think a good example would be if in a car the crank shaft broke and destroyed the engine, you could rightly argue that it should not have failed and have replaced under warranty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a Captiva diesel in 2006. Was a very good vehicle with only doing normal services. Traded it of with 115,000 kms on a 2012 Captiva. Have some majors problems with pipes on the turbo and the shop says it is a problem with the newer Captivas. I believe they changed the manufactures of their motor parts. Hopefully the engine problems are over. As far as Chevy customer service forget it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...