Shane Warne To Retire

Old Croc

Warne set to retire from all cricket

Test cricket's greatest wicket-taker is set to pull stumps on his 15-year career.

Shane Warne will retire from all cricket at the end of the Ashes series after inevitably becoming the first Test cricketer to pass the hallowed 700-wicket mark in the Boxing Day Test in his home town of Melbourne.

The leg-spinner enters the pathenon of cricketing legends as arguably the greatest bowler of all-time.

While sheer figures support his claim as the best, it was his impact on the game itself which remains his most important legacy.

Warne revolutionised Test play through the dying art of leg-spin bowling, in an era dominated by fast bowling when drawn matches were the norm.

With Warne playing, successive Australian skippers including Allan Border, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting led Australia to an unparalled two decades of cricketing domination.

In recent weeks, in the twilight of his career, Warne almost singlehandedly bowled Australia to Ashes glory with extraordinary performances in Adelaide and Perth, fittingly clinching the decisive wicket to reclaim the Ashes at the WACA.

Captain Ricky Ponting said he'd never seen Warne bowl better.

But his career was one dogged by controversy including a series of high-profile affairs, which eventually led to the break-up of his marriage with wife Simone.

He was also banned from all cricket for a year in 2003 after testing positive to a banned diuretic at the 2003 World Cup in India.

He later claimed it was a pill given to him by his mum.

The leg-spinner played virtually no one-day cricket after returning from his suspension, focusing on the longer form of the game.

His retirement signals a changing of the guard, following the shock departure of Damien Martyn a week earlier, and the rumoured retirement of Glenn McGrath, also in the final Ashes Test in Sydney.

There's little doubt Warne could have played on into his 40s, but with his old friends and teammates stepping aside, and a new life beckoning, reclaiming the Ashes and reaching the magical 700-wicket mark in Melbourne remained the final accomplishments.

Ninemsn.

Edited by Old Croc

Hey Mods!.................Is this Thai related? Why is it still here?

You took down my thread for this 'apparent' reason....................are you going to be consistent?

This guy has had two threads closed, both about bar girls. One he posted in the soccer thread! (?)

Most are aware that the majority of threads in the sports forum are international in flavour and not specifically Thai related.

Fruitloops 90 odd posts are almost exclusively flames. His style is familiar to me as someone from elsewhere. I've been warned by mods about using the "T" word, so I won't do so here. :o

Hey Mods!.................Is this Thai related? Why is it still here?

You took down my thread for this 'apparent' reason....................are you going to be consistent?

This guy has had two threads closed, both about bar girls. One he posted in the soccer thread! (?)

Most are aware that the majority of threads in the sports forum are international in flavour and not specifically Thai related.

Fruitloops 90 odd posts are almost exclusively flames. His style is familiar to me as someone from elsewhere. I've been warned by mods about using the "T" word, so I won't do so here. <_<

Was that the Rolls Royce thread LOL

The great Muralli will be past Warnes tally in a few months!

But fair play, Warne, the second best spinner of his generation has done well!

One's a fine spin bowler, and the other is a dead-set chukka!!

You reckon? Must admit i'd never noticed any thing wrong with Podgy's action - must have a closer inspection during the next test!

You reckon? Must admit i'd never noticed any thing wrong with Podgy's action - must have a closer inspection during the next test!

He made short work of the Dodgers :o

Glen McGrath has now confirmed he will retire after the ODI World Cup in march next year.

This means the Sydney Ashes test will be his last 5 day game as well as Warnes. The retirement of the best ever non chucking spin bowler and the best ever fast bowler (by wickets taken), will happen similtaneously.

The two greats have taken 1254 wickets between them at an average of about 22.

:o:D

I was only a little kid when Lillee, Greg Chapell, and Marshy retired from test cricket in January '84 vs Pakistan. I can still remember crying as they left the field on that last day.

I've NEVER cried since :o , I will instead swill beer to artificially enhance my lasting memory as the 5th test draws to a winning end for OZ. :D

post-14723-1166874474_thumb.jpg

:o:D good for a laugh at least