Full Passport

My American Passport is full and I just mailed in to get a new Passport with more pages.  I am in USA now.  I called the State Department and this person told me what to do and while I was doing the paperwork I had to call again this this person gave me conflicting information.  I have my Retirement Visa and Non-Immigrant Visas in the old Passport good until Jan 2018.  The second person I talked to said they would punch a whole in my old Passport making it invalid as a Passport.  I think I can show both Passports when I deplane in BKK and use the new Passport when I renew in Jan 2018.  Is this the way it works?  The airline at PHL will ask me where my Visa is and I hope they are OK with me showing them the Visas In the old Passport.  Make sense?

Everything in your old passport will remain valid after it is canceled.

You will need to show the airline you re-entry permit or visa if you actually have a valid visa in your old passport. Then again on entry to the country and immigration will do the entry stamp in your new passport.

If you actually have an extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon retirement you will need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred to the new one.