Udon Thani parking at airport or nearby for a week

4MyEgo

I would imagine right now that the parking at UTH may be chock full already. They have introduced a ticketing system similar to Bangkok airports but that fills up quickly. They are still constructing additional parking towards the east end of the terminal and have expanded the off-road, 'river side' parking on the exit road which is free but not really secure.

If not too late for you, I can take a look tomorrow when I go for my Burger King fix!

10 hours ago, Happy Go Lucky said:

Should I do that too? ??

Sure, go for it! :w00t:  I forecast there will now be approx 22 posts stating you will need a work permit though!  :bah:

Cheers!

Hi all

Flying out of Udon Thani for a week and was wondering if there was any parking at the airport or nearby that was secure as it beats getting dropped off and picked up.

Tuktuk will get you there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your replies and offers.

I found a couple of old posts in TVF forums and others on Google.

Apparently you can park in the secure parking area which is undercover.

Its about 50 metres passed the left of the exit doors, apparently you have to see the limousine desk just outside the exit doors, they give you a ticket, take you there, chain your wheel and upon your return you simply pay them the 100 baht per day, apart from the 100 baht per day, I like the fact that you get to keep the keys, the reason I want to park my car there is the convenience of not having my father-in law not drive our car back home and pick us up, that and wanting to vomit from taxi drivers not knowing how to drive and speeding of course.

I will be going to Udon Thai after the silly season, i.e. let all the crazy's go back home, and will check it out while there. 

As for parking in the normal spaces if you can find one, I read that some people had their vehicles moved and had to pay fines.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Its about 50 metres passed the left of the exit doors, apparently you have to see the limousine desk just outside the exit doors, they give you a ticket, take you there, chain your wheel and upon your return you simply pay them the 100 baht per day, apart from the 100 baht per day, I like the fact that you get to keep the keys, the reason I want to park my car there is the convenience of not having my father-in law not drive our car back home and pick us up, that and wanting to vomit from taxi drivers not knowing how to drive and speeding of course.

I will be going to Udon Thai after the silly season, i.e. let all the crazy's go back home, and will check it out while there. 

As for parking in the normal spaces if you can find one, I read that some people had their vehicles moved and had to pay fines.

Good to know that the secured, covered (and chained) parking is still available. I hadn't heard about it for a while so suspected it had been done away with now they have ticketed parking. Good to know the parking procedure too as I may use that myself. If it is only 100 baht/day. it is a steal as ticketed, secured (not chained), baking in the sun daily parking is 200 baht/day.

The ones that are getting wheel-clamped, towed and fined are the ones that can't read the new signage and are double-parking in the very small '20 minute free' parking zone opposite the old terminal that's only supposed to be used for people doing drop-off and pick-up. Or they can leave someone in the car to make sure they don't get clamped if the farewell or meet and greet extends to a cup of coffee or a bowl of noodles.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sorry to tell you it's now 200Bht per day and now they don't chain your wheels, I used to leave my car there for a month at a time but at 6000 rather than 3000 too expensive

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good to know that the secured, covered (and chained) parking is still available. I hadn't heard about it for a while so suspected it had been done away with now they have ticketed parking. Good to know the parking procedure too as I may use that myself. If it is only 100 baht/day. it is a steal as ticketed, secured (not chained), baking in the sun daily parking is 200 baht/day.

The ones that are getting wheel-clamped, towed and fined are the ones that can't read the new signage and are double-parking in the very small '20 minute free' parking zone opposite the old terminal that's only supposed to be used for people doing drop-off and pick-up. Or they can leave someone in the car to make sure they don't get clamped if the farewell or meet and greet extends to a cup of coffee or a bowl of noodles.

I only read this on a couple of old posts, cannot confirm if still available or is 100 baht, but when I go and check things out next time I am in Udon Thani, I will update this post, that is unless a recent user of the secure parking can confirm beforehand.

1 minute ago, cjd said:

Sorry to tell you it's now 200Bht per day and now they don't chain your wheels, I used to leave my car there for a month at a time but at 6000 rather than 3000 too expensive

Thanks for the update, still cheap at that for a week if its in a secure spot for me.

Here is an update for those that wish to have long term parking at Udon Thani International Airport.

Drove there today 16 April 2017 and it has all changed, the old parking spaces are now all covered parking spaces, and there is a booth upon entry to the right which is for ticketed parking, you can park 24/7, and the day rate is 200 baht per day.

For those who want free parking its all the way over the other side of the road on the way out (one way) side and down an embankment, open parking only, no covered parking and below the road level.

As for the covered parking the 1st 25 minutes is free, then they charge you thereafter, don't know the amount but it would be pretty cheap as I saw 20 baht and 40 baht on the board as I drove past, but didn't pay to much attention to the prices as I just wanted to find out about the long term parking and was advised as above.

I would imagine right now that the parking at UTH may be chock full already. They have introduced a ticketing system similar to Bangkok airports but that fills up quickly. They are still constructing additional parking towards the east end of the terminal and have expanded the off-road, 'river side' parking on the exit road which is free but not really secure.

If not too late for you, I can take a look tomorrow when I go for my Burger King fix!

Did they open Burger King at Airport, I thought Central was going to be the New one, thx

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

All parking near the airport is now covered pay parking 24/7, sort of like a carport or Tesco/Lotus under cover parking.

There is however open parking for free on the other side of the road away from the airport, down the embankment.

I left my car there for 9 and a half days, at 200 baht a day it was well worth it for me, total cost 2,000 baht, car was a bit dusty, that's ok, but sure beats the hell out of catching a cab to and from for about the same amount with the way those guys drive, and my ranger fitted all 4 big and 4 carry on bags without a hitch.

Happy long term parking.......

I also parked my SUV at the airport for 3 nights in April to fly to Chaing Mai and found the undercover ticketed parking easily available and secure enough for my needs.

I had also checked out the off-airport parking in a shed on the southern section of the ring road before arriving at the airport. It was reported in an old thread on ThaiV at 100 baht for 24 hours. There were some cars there in a mini hangar like shed, but the place was devoid of any security (3pm ish on a Sunday .. in fact devoid of any staff at all! Showed all the signs of being a business that had failed. My vehicle would have hopelessly insecure there, so forget about it even though it might be free (goodness knows how you get to the airport with no staff present and an open front gate).

Air Asia will now re-start a service to Chiang Mai in June from my local Ubon Ratchatani airport which means no need for me to drive to Udon or Khon Kaen. KK has one service a day by Air Asia to Chiang Mai - very cheap and full/near-full there/back respectively, but the return leg is at an unsocially early hour). Udon Thani's Nok Air service to Chiang Mai in an 80 ish seater turbo prop is also useful service to Isaanites, having a very flexible 3 times a day coverage early/midday and early evening. I found it a bit expensive and the plane is a bit cramped (but that's not a no-no on a 1 hour flight). The plane had only about 20 people on it outbound to CNX on Sunday evening (the Sunday after Songkran) and 35 coming back the following Wednesday mid-day. I expect Nok will shave the service in the near future if that capacity is anything to go by. Roughly speaking the AA service from KK was 1,000 baht and the Udon service about 1,500 baht (per leg) - both return journeys were booked about 10 days pre and at least one leg benefited from a promo fare on one leg.

KK's covered parking is in a multi-storey which gets very full but allows neutral gear parking to cope with that. 150 baht for 24 hours and with an off-airport facility at 100 baht.

Why did I not drive all the way to CNX from Ubon (actually Sisaket)? It's well more than a days drive now I'm no longer in my 20's ... or 30's/40's/50s. Also I had a potentially tetchy family of 4 others in tow on both occasions. I found that I (and they) could easily accommodate the drive-fly/fly-drive in one day.

Edited by SantiSuk