Restoring vintage receivers & amplifiers.

LongJohn

I have several vintage receivers and amplifiers that need servicing. Does anybody know a professional or hobby electrician in Chiang Mai who is able to service 70's audio equipment (Pioneer, Sansui, Yamaha)? Someone who can measure, clean, recap etc...

Great kit in their day but sorry I don't know of repair guys for this stuff.

Back in NZ I had contact with guys that fixed valve amps and radios.  Old technology sure but the sound had its own 'warmth' that went with it.

A bit like listening/watching a BBC series called  Pennies from Heaven. Very old songs but with the 78 speed gramophone scratchiness.

Nostalgia.... always good to visit every now and then.

Second the post No. 3. 

Just be aware, it's in one of those rabbit warren maze sections where the physical mall exists, but the shops are scarce. 

There's also a working pinball machine in the building -- an Easter egg for you to find. 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Second the post No. 3. 

Just be aware, it's in one of those rabbit warren maze sections where the physical mall exists, but the shops are scarce. 

There's also a working pinball machine in the building -- an Easter egg for you to find. 

Yes, another vote for this shop in KSK. The shop owner builds his own high end speakers and has a lot of high end tube amps in the shop. 

1 hour ago, kilt said:

Yes, another vote for this shop in KSK. The shop owner builds his own high end speakers and has a lot of high end tube amps in the shop. 

Although I don't believe he does any repairs, he may be able to steer you in the direction of someone who can. Sometimes his mother runs the shop and she doesn't know anything... May take a couple of trips to catch the guy there. If you don't speak some basic Thai phrases, then take a Thai friend with you.

You could also try the shop on the moat in the plaza next to the Samsung Repair Center (just left of the Samsung center if you are standing in front). I don't believe he does repairs either but he's been around a long time and must have someone who repairs his stuff. 70's is solid-state so probably not difficult to find someone. Complete re-cap? Unlikely here, but in Bangkok certainly.