O-A Visa NYC Consulate Report

Applied for a Multi entry O-A Visa from the New York City Thai Consulate :

1) Paperwork received by Consulate on March 31st, 2017 and Passport and Visa returned on April 14th, 2017, a full 2 weeks.

2) Consulate returned my original Medical Cert and Criminal Background check with passport.

3) The only thing of note was that  I had the Medical performed in Bangkok before my trip to the US even though the website states to get it in country of application. Without insurance here would have burned 2 weeks and likely anywhere from $250 to $500 bucks, in Bangkok less than $10 US and 30 minutes at my local clinic. Non problem even though I was worried it would not be accepted.

• Like 2

I did the same thing for my O-A from Thai Embassy London, I did have a letter from my GP in UK but noticed later that it had an out of date address on it and as I was back in Thailand ( and the medical certificate i had downloaded was in Thai and English) I decided to get a Thai version just in case.
As it turned out the Thai version was accepted and the gp's letter wasn't ( due to it's simplicity) so it was a good result for me.
I have posted this on here before as it's an easier and cheaper option.
Mine cost me 360 baht from a local hospital .

• Like 1

Something has changed at the New York Consulate

My last 5 O-A Visas from them have been done in 4 days max.   Day one received.  Day two processed.   Day three signed and mailed out. Day four received by me

Never have I received back any of the documents submitted but last October they really screwed up and sent my Passport back with an  "O" multiple.   I didn't notice that they forgot the "A"  until the IO at Swampy only signed me in for 90 days

New York readily admitted that they screwed up by forgetting the "A" but I had to go to the MFA in Bangkok to get it added to the visa and then was erroneously told that I could only have my "admitted 1 year" stamp  done at Chaengwattana, so another half day wasted there 

Can't help but think that maybe the New York Consulate General has gone the way of the Washington Embassy and outsourced the visa processing to a local hire, instead of a Thai Foreign Service Officer 

I had different results at the Thai Consulate Atlanta in January. I had a 10:00AM appointment. Paperwork checked. I paid my $80.00.

I was told to return at 3:00PM for pickup. Great Service. Friendly people. I'm very happy!

4 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Something has changed at the New York Consulate

My last 5 O-A Visas from them have been done in 4 days max.   Day one received.  Day two processed.   Day three signed and mailed out. Day four received by me

Never have I received back any of the documents submitted but last October they really screwed up and sent my Passport back with an  "O" multiple.   I didn't notice that they forgot the "A"  until the IO at Swampy only signed me in for 90 days

New York readily admitted that they screwed up by forgetting the "A" but I had to go to the MFA in Bangkok to get it added to the visa and then was erroneously told that I could only have my "admitted 1 year" stamp  done at Chaengwattana, so another half day wasted there 

Can't help but think that maybe the New York Consulate General has gone the way of the Washington Embassy and outsourced the visa processing to a local hire, instead of a Thai Foreign Service Officer 

I was surprised it took 14 days. My only other dealings with them was for a double entry Tourist Visa about 3 years ago that was done soup to nuts in 5 days. My only thought was that since it was Songkran they had a large number of Visas to process for tourists which accounted for the extra time.

But got the Visa I applied for in time for my flight so everything worked out in the end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomwct said:

I had different results at the Thai Consulate Atlanta in January. I had a 10:00AM appointment. Paperwork checked. I paid my $80.00.

I was told to return at 3:00PM for pickup. Great Service. Friendly people. I'm very happy!

Unfortunately you cannot get an O-A at the honorary consulates, Atlanta being one of them.

Just now, tonray said:

But got the Visa I applied for in time for my flight so everything worked out in the end.

Actually they did you a favor, since if you wan't to get two years out of your O-A,  getting it closer to your flight and arrival time is better

Problem is your report makes visa "timing"  via New York a bit iffy 

Fortunately  for me I will be dealing with the Los Angeles Consulate going forward and "knock on wood" there have been no reports of LA changing processing times  

I am in Thailand and going back to get an O-A in D.C. Since I'll stay 2weeks I worry about getting all my documents in time. My Police state records require fill out print, sign and mail. Is it possible to use a police record from a state I used to live in that can be obtained online? 

I read it's best to use the visa shortly after obtaining but I'll not enter Thailand until 3 months later.

19 hours ago, Jamin123 said:

Is it possible to use a police record from a state I used to live in that can be obtained online? 

As long as that state is in the Washington Embassy's area of jurisdiction and you use that address for your application, data sheet, and documentation.  The O-A visa and your passport can be returned to anywhere in the US using Express Mail

1. Alabama  
2. Delaware  
3. Florida  
4. Georgia  
5. Louisiana  
6. Maryland  
7. Mississippi  
8. North Carolina  
9. South Carolina  
10. Tennessee  
11. Texas  
12. Virginia