‘Spirited’ attempt by Phitsanulok police to reduce road accidents

rooster59

‘Spirited’ attempt by Phitsanulok police to reduce road accidents

By The Nation

d22158533f9dc2a1b9b45e15dd92e80f.jpeg

Photo Credit: Phitsanulok Highway Police

Highway police in Phitsanulok earlier this week held a sacrificial offering for spirits to help protect motorists on an accident-prone section of a main road in Prompiram district.

Pictures of policemen offering a steamed pig head, a boiled hen, a bottle of liquor, a water bottle and some fruits have been widely shared and viewed on Facebook.

The rite was held on the road island off Highway No 11 at kilometre marker No 263+100 in Ban Padaeng village in Tambon Dong Pakham of Prompiram district.

Pol Major Winai Thanachote, an inspector of Highway Police Station 3 in Phitsanulok, said he and other officers at the station pooled money to buy the offerings and held the rite on Wednesday.

He said that section of the road saw many fatal accidents, as it is straight and about 50 kilometres long hence motorists often dozed off and crashed into roadside trees.

He said local residents felt uneasy about the frequent accidents and wanted to hold an offering rite for local spirits to protect motorists during the long Songkran holiday, so his police station acted on the people’s wishes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312382

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-16

I actually find this quite quaint, we know that they have some strange beliefs here, but hey if they think it might help and also elevate them within their local residents eyes then let them crack on I say.

My Mrs has some strange beliefs, she won't cut my hair on a certain day of the week, same goes for fingernails and toenails. so if they need doing I just wait for her to say it's okay :smile:

as it is straight and about 50 kilometres long hence motorists often dozed off and crashed into roadside trees."

learnt that long ago,Thai's can fall asleep anywhere,even at the driving wheel.

regards worgeordie

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I actually find this quite quaint, we know that they have some strange beliefs here, but hey if they think it might help and also elevate them within their local residents eyes then let them crack on I say.

Yes, but a little more policing may also be required. 

The offering and sacrifice is without merit if the intent and motivation of the heart is deceptive.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that once the ritual is performed, then the officers can partake of the offerings.  Could it be that they just wanted a convenient excuse to eat and get drunk using the goodwill offerings of their comrades at the station? After all, Thai drivers all have their amulets on the dashboard and Buddha scribblings on the headboard, so what need is there for all the redundancy?  It brings to mind the question "how much is too little and how much is too much"? With all the uncertainty I think I would find myself another religion with a more defined path! 

Forgive my pessimism but they would have far greater effect if they were actually spending their time preventing speeding and dangerous driving.

This is the sort of rubbish that makes the locals think they can now drive down this road with reckless abandon, because it has now been "blessed."

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

My Mrs has some strange beliefs, she won't cut my hair on a certain day of the week, same goes for fingernails and toenails. so if they need doing I just wait for her to say it's okay :smile:

Maybe you already know but i take it that day would be a Wednesday

That's because history says that all the barbers & ect cut the royal family hair

36 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Maybe you already know but i take it that day would be a Wednesday

That's because history says that all the barbers & ect cut the royal family hair

No I didn't know that, so thank you :jap: The other one is a Friday, that's the day of the week I was born.

2 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

After all, Thai drivers all have their amulets on the dashboard and Buddha scribblings on the headboard, so what need is there for all the redundancy?  It brings to mind the question "how much is too little and how much is too much"? With all the uncertainty I think I would find myself another religion with a more defined path! 

Yes, how about Islam, with its "defined path" to heaven and 72 virgins?

On 4/17/2017 at 9:19 AM, fittobethaied said:

The offering and sacrifice is without merit if the intent and motivation of the heart is deceptive.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that once the ritual is performed, then the officers can partake of the offerings.  Could it be that they just wanted a convenient excuse to eat and get drunk using the goodwill offerings of their comrades at the station? After all, Thai drivers all have their amulets on the dashboard and Buddha scribblings on the headboard, so what need is there for all the redundancy?  It brings to mind the question "how much is too little and how much is too much"? With all the uncertainty I think I would find myself another religion with a more defined path! 

Yes. You are correct. The offerings will be consumed following this prayer service and it will be shared if possible.

But I think you are quite wrong to assume that this is their prime motivation. I'm sure that they are genuine in their believe that their prayers can possibly be of help on this road, no matter how misguided you might think they are.

These kind of believes have been part of the Thai culture for what is probably thousands of years and predate Buddhism. In fact what your seeing here is Animism, not Buddhism. Why do you live here and show so little interest or empathy in the ways of this country and its people?

I am not a religious person either, but I am happy to tolerate their way of expressing their beliefs. They never question my none belief!

Find a religion with a more defined path? You might as well try shuffling a pack of cards back into rank and suit!

Archived