Pattaya Police says no water throwing after 8pm

Rimmer

Pattaya Update: 19th at 1:30pm, just back from round one, its mayhem out there, 100s of people traffic at a standstill and that is just at the local 7/11 at the end of my quiet little soi in jomtien. And I am out of cigarettes, lol

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Pattaya Update: 19th at 1:30pm, just back from round one, its mayhem out there, 100s of people traffic at a standstill and that is just at the local 7/11 at the end of my quiet little soi in jomtien. And I am out of cigarettes, lol

I bought a carton, topped up the cars and motorbike tanks, phones, and the cupboards, then pulled enough cash out of the ATM for a week.  Ironically, reminiscent of things you do on Guam when preparing to ride out an approaching typhoon.  :laugh:

5 hours ago, hobobo said:

Unfortunately in Pattaya Songkran ends today (19th), but last night some idiots on Soi Buakhao continued to throw water well after 10 pm!

Yes, and because of those idiots the Thai Police are now coming down strongly on this. The Thai authorities moniter the internet and the mainstream media. 

There is now much talk on the internet about how visitors to Thailand don't like getting dirty cold water thrown over them when they're dressed up and on their way to a restaurant at 9pm.

I thought the Thais wanted to make Pattaya respectable..forget the sex trade, just stop ASSAULTING visitors and ruining their night..

In the past it did stop jus before sundown, albeit with a few pockets of nuttiness.  Don't miss it at all.  went once and that was enough.  It is just too disruptive every day.  You can't walk to a restaurant, go to the mall, ride a baht bus etc.  without getting soaked.  Fun for a day or two maybe if you are outside in your bathing suit, but all the other days, your clothes get soaked and then you are at the movie or mall or any other day time activity all messed up.  I even watched them douse some young little girl all dressed up as she was walking to work at about 6 AM.  She was dressed like a receptionist at a hotel, and the two jerks followed her, bowed and waied then doused her as she tried to scurry away. 

Songkran was awfully quiet in Pattaya as compared to past years.

There were no large stages on second road and the traffic was flowing, albeit slowly, but I remember second road to normally be totally gridlocked on wan lai day.

Not much problems getting from/to Jomtien either, and I even saw a handful of dry (!!!!) people walking on beach road.

Very few dancing in front of the bars.

2017 was the most disappointing Songkran I have witnessed so far.

On the positive side:

- most water throwing really stopped around 20:00 during the crazy week in Pattaya. good progress on that.

- the high powered water "cannons" (the blue ones that hurt) were also quite rare, well done police.

- there were police + soldier cordons frisking people for weapons, well done too.

Edited by manarak

On 19/04/2017 at 5:04 AM, hobobo said:

Unfortunately in Pattaya Songkran ends today (19th), but last night some idiots on Soi Buakhao continued to throw water well after 10 pm!

Pattaya is a lawless city, if they can not make Meter Taxis use their meters how the hell can they stop the water throwing???

On 4/18/2017 at 4:18 PM, darksidedog said:

Praise God! Some sanity at last. It all used to shut down when the sun went down, but as the article says, some people just don't know when to stop.

Yes it has always been stop after sunset, but it never stopped them and it did not stop them again this year. Why does this continue to go on and the BIB is not out on the road to stop it?  Stop illegal parking of buses and cars that cause so much traffic problems?