Chickens and heat

cooked

It hasn't reached catastrophicackle levels yet but we have begun to lose a chicken (Gai baan) every few days, it is indeed very hot. They also are not laying. I tried spraying water over them, they run away along with the ducks.

Is this heat stroke or are they succumbing to something else? They seem happy enough through the day, in the morning we find a dead one. The ganders are aggressive sods and will get eaten next week in the interest of bringing in new blood but I don't think that they are fighting the chickens.

The wife girls stopped about 4 weeks back its a weather related thing. Also be advised that there is a virus going about and she has lost about 50 and they were all vaccinated. The main government farming outlet between Prasat and Surin has the same problem.

You got a pond for the ducks and geese?

I wouldn't try spraying the chickens with water, they'll just get stressed. It's normal for chickens to reduce egg laying in this heat. You can tell if they're getting hot, they'll stand with wings lifted. Are your gai ban in a coop or free range? Just make sure they have free access to clean water.

Dying however is not good. You need to check for disease or bites. Chickens will avoid the geese so can't see it being that.

Just now, khwaibah said:

The wife girls stopped about 4 weeks back its a weather related thing. Also be advised that there is a virus going about and she has lost about 50 and they were all vaccinated. 

Where are you and this virus located?

Just now, grollies said:

Where are you and this virus located?

This virus is from Kap Choeng to Surin and as far east as Lamduan.. The breading stock of RR and Fog Horn Leg Horns are OK But she has stopped all selling of any bird.

8 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

This virus is from Kap Choeng to Surin and as far east as Lamduan.. The breading stock of RR and Fog Horn Leg Horns are OK But she has stopped all selling of any bird.

Keep 'em cooped and away from wild birds. I'm on Chon Buri/Chachensao border so it's a way away yet.

In the process of reducing numbers of RR from 170 to 6, missus fed up of selling eggs and I want the run for a workshop :sleep:.  Got 120 left.

Anyone in the vicinity want RR 9 months old, all vaccinated?

1 hour ago, grollies said:

Keep 'em cooped and away from wild birds. I'm on Chon Buri/Chachensao border so it's a way away yet.

In the process of reducing numbers of RR from 170 to 6, missus fed up of selling eggs and I want the run for a workshop :sleep:.  Got 120 left.

Anyone in the vicinity want RR 9 months old, all vaccinated?

Wife will not touch any more birds tell this over and then she will go back to the Surin Livestock Breeding and Research Center Na Bua Surin Thailand and get new breeding stock for 11 baht each with free vaccine.

An update. The unseasonal rain we have had is the number 1 cause for the chicken die off in lower isaan. Now that the rains have stopped and the weathers is back to normal for this area for this time of year...GUES WHAT ? Chickens are laying eggs like there is no tomorrow. The Fog Horn Leg Horn alongs with RoadIsland  Reds are busting lose.:partytime2:

On 4/19/2017 at 8:20 AM, khwaibah said:

The wife girls stopped about 4 weeks back its a weather related thing. Also be advised that there is a virus going about and she has lost about 50 and they were all vaccinated. The main government farming outlet between Prasat and Surin has the same problem.

Do you know what virus it is ?

You say your birds were vaccinated.

Was the vaccination done at the government farming facility (birds sold pre-vaccinated ) or did you vaccinate yourself ?

The main government outlet assumingly vaccinated and yet their birds are also dying !    What does that tell you ?

Has the vaccine failed - if so "Why ?"

Is the correct vaccine being given ?

If the vaccine requires a booster is that being given ?

As for the ducks ideally they should have water available in a container / trough / pond in which they can FULLY immerse their head.

The eyes are a part of the birds immune system as well as being needed to keep clean.   The nostrils easily become blocked if feed quality is poor ( dusty ).

I agree 100% with previous posts that spraying water on chickens just freaks them out, even ducks are not too happy with it.

For the ducks a clean pond is best, if this is not available then a small plastic or metal container deep enough for them to spoon dip their head and body; but keep the containers clean.   Alternatively a small breeze block pool that can be drained out.

Ducks have been known to suddenly stop laying if it rains and this is followed by a cold wind or the birds are in open houses and the fans are running ( wind chill ).

For the chickens perches for night resting should be used.

Good luck anyway.

Archived