UK releases advisory for families dealing with criminal deaths in Thailand

webfact

UK releases advisory for families dealing with criminal deaths in Thailand

By A. Azim Idris 

LONDON: -- IN wake of a spate of deaths involving its citizens in Thailand, the British government has issued an advisory guiding relatives on how to go about handling crime-related deaths in the Southeast Asian country.

The United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office published the advisory on Wednesday offering steps the next-of-kin should take when dealing with the authorities involving cases of murder, manslaughter, or deaths under suspicious circumstances.

The advisory provides bereaved families with a general idea of the administrative processes involved in matters like post-mortems and police investigations, right up to burial and repatriation.

Full story: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/04/uk-releases-advisory-families-dealing-criminal-deaths-thailand/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2017-04-20

"The British government has issued an advisory guiding relatives on how to go about handling crime-related deaths . . "

No. 1    Don't bother to try and contact the UK Embassy in Bangkok, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

I have to say that the British embassy here in Thailand seem to do very little for their citizens unlike say our American cousins. It was the same in the Middle East as everyone knew who was British you are on your own and got very little assistance if you got in trouble, which was easily done, such as driving.

Rule 1. Inform all friends and next of kin not to believe the account given by local authorities under any circumstances.

Rule 2 - any would be victims have a social media account, and document any dody dealings / persons there.

Rule 3 - don't bother expecting the embassy to help / search for truth.

End ?

56 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

"The British government has issued an advisory guiding relatives on how to go about handling crime-related deaths . . "

No. 1    Don't bother to try and contact the UK Embassy in Bangkok, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

There is only Bangkok due to budget cutbacks or there lame excuse for cost effectiveness in centralizing everything to Bangkok.?  

On a related note, has anyone published a list of guidelines that I could send to my relatives back home that would help them avoid getting schnookered by scammers should I bite the bullet here in LOS?

I sent them an email a few years back just before open heart surgery, instructing them to cremate me here and don't bother repatriating the ashes (along with where to find, and what to do with my assets), but it wasn't based on any specific knowledge I had at the time.

For example, how to order the cremation, paperwork to be filled out, where to get it done cost effectively, what places and entities to deal with, and which ones to avoid, etc...  I imagine (may be wrong) there are all kinds of ne'er-do-well entities that prey on family back home when tragedy strikes, and I'd like to advise them how to avoid those pitfalls.  Also handy would be airline policies for bereavement travel, etc.  Anything to lessen the financial sting.

To be fair, I suspect the embassy can help with a lot of it, but I doubt they have cost mitigation as one of their priorities.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

On a related note, has anyone published a list of guidelines that I could send to my relatives back home that would help them avoid getting schnookered by scammers should I bite the bullet here in LOS?

I sent them an email a few years back just before open heart surgery, instructing them to cremate me here and don't bother repatriating the ashes (along with where to find, and what to do with my assets), but it wasn't based on any specific knowledge I had at the time.

For example, how to order the cremation, paperwork to be filled out, where to get it done cost effectively, what places and entities to deal with, and which ones to avoid, etc...  I imagine (may be wrong) there are all kinds of ne'er-do-well entities that prey on family back home when tragedy strikes, and I'd like to advise them how to avoid those pitfalls.  Also handy would be airline policies for bereavement travel, etc.  Anything to lessen the financial sting.

To be fair, I suspect the embassy can help with a lot of it, but I doubt they have cost mitigation as one of their priorities.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bereavement-information-thailand-murder-manslaughter-and-suspicious-deaths

14 minutes ago, BangkokNicky said:

That's a good start, but they don't mention any specific company names, attorneys or government facilities.

And I'm more concerned with a natural death, especially in one of the expensive private hospitals.  I'm concerned the hospital will pressure the family to use their recommended vendors (at a significantly higher cost- with daily cold storage fees and all) to make all the arrangements when it would be much cheaper to have my body sent to a government run facility for cremation.

Edit:  And, on an aside- I'm a Yank.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's a good start, but they don't mention any specific company names, attorneys or government facilities.

And I'm more concerned with a natural death, especially in one of the expensive private hospitals.  I'm concerned the hospital will pressure the family to use their recommended vendors (at a significantly higher cost- with daily storage fees and all) to make all the arrangements when it would be much cheaper to have my body sent to a government run facility for cremation.

Edit:  And, on an aside- I'm a Yank.

Looking at this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/helping-british-people-abroad-murder-and-manslaughter/consular-support-for-those-bereaved-through-murder-or-manslaughter-abroad-web-version 

Seems like they do sweet fa but nothing surprise me these days at all .. 

1 minute ago, BangkokNicky said:

That's why I think it's important for those of us who live here to send clear instructions in advance to family back home who may have to make arrangements very quickly after a long flight- and knowing nothing about the lay of the land and the potential for being scammed at every turn.

I'd like to update the instructions I sent a couple of years back with some more details.  The less they have to worry about and spend because of me- the better.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's why I think it's important for those of us who live here to send clear instructions in advance to family back home who may have to make arrangements very quickly after a long flight- and knowing nothing about the lay of the land and the potential for being scammed at every turn.

I'd like to update the instructions I sent a couple of years back with some more details.  The less they have to worry about and spend because of me- the better.

Agreed with what you are saying but unlikely to happen .. With the British Embassy .. 

Just now, BangkokNicky said:

Agreed with what you are saying but unlikely to happen .. With the British Embassy .. 

I used to have some Yank co-workers who were long stay in Thailand and would have guided the family in case of my demise, but we're going by the wayside one by one, so I'm feeling need to take on more of that responsibility in advance.  Counting on strangers, even at an embassy seems a little hit-and-miss.  Can't blame them.  Only because it wouldn't help my family.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Go here: http://www.pattayamail.com/ourcommunity/what-happens-if-you-die-in-thailand-41287

I have used Allison Monkhouse twice in the past 2 years to take care of everything. They are very helpful with reasonable fees. They liaise with the applicable embassy as well.

BangkokNicky, Im quite sure an easily read instruction letter to friends/ relatives/lawyer in case of death or terminal illness would do the job. One could also stipulate which hospitals you wish to be taken too and which Wat in case of cremation. You could find out costs before hand and add this. It's good to have your personal papers in order when you live abroad, alone or otherwise. 

8 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

No, they are too busy wondering how much they can get away with when it comes to charging for "they're services".

8 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

There isn't a British Embassy anywhere else in Thailand.

7 hours ago, clockman said:

It is called diplomacy. A round of cocktail party. And kowtowing.!

Yes and throw in trade tea parties benefiting big businesses looking for cheap labor its all a crock. I always sensed that upon retiring and deciding to live abroad my government wanted a pound of flesh before cutting the cord. Vultures.

Well i read the full story and included links. Most of the cause of deaths listed are quite clearly obvious. The so called tracking site has a couple of accounting issues- reduction of injuries by 160% - how can they be reduced by greater than 100%?, and  34 vehicle deaths is the "majority" of 83? I think not!! It calls the credibility of the whole site into question.

Nice to see some Brits on the ground telling how it is. its all about trade and parties with them. If you do have to deal with them watch out for K B an utter waste of time she is. While Tesco and others like them operate out there because of the cheap slave labor the average UK citizen has no one to help them when they need it. All you get is We do Not Get Involved in Local matters.

If they did do as they should we would not have so many British deaths which are murder most of the time. So could the British Embassy and Government be classed as aiding and abetting to crimes?

Perhaps  the website should say do not travel To, would be better to help UK citizens and others stay alive on holiday.

32 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

There isn't a British Embassy anywhere else in Thailand.

You are so right on this statement

I simply told my daughter, not to do anything, that will cost her money. Leave me to be burnt, and let me, in that way, travel all over the world. Don't bother bringing me back to the UK, i will still be dead.And in a quiet moment, read the prose 'Death is nothing' to herself. Get a picture of me and show it to my grandson as he grows.And for her to never forgot the great times we had when we lived in the USA and the fun at Disney World, and all the other holidays. Memories cost nothing.