BMA backs away from street food ban, but adds conditions

webfact

Am I seeing things here? Common sense from a Thai government?? If the vendors are being regulated fairly to suit both them and pedestrians, then great, I just hope for their  sakes, that the government make sure the BiB keep their greedy paws well away.

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't know why Thais come out with really stupid, unpopular ideas and then immediately do an abrupt about face to get to something approaching common sense once the general populace start screaming.

We had it with the pick up trucks, with policy changing by the hour, and now on a matter of great importance to many people and the city itself, we are getting it again.

And Given Bangkok has been voted the best street food in the world, trying to get rid of it would be most unwise.

Its not only the poor people that keep kicking a man when he is down. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

sellers must comply with the law,” Wanlop said.

And therein lies the smell of the BS: they will avoid complying, the BMA will avoid enforcing. And while stalls obstructing free movement on the pavement are a damned nuisance, the real, and neverending issue, is that of motorcycles riding, and parking, on them.

maybe if the government is so quick to change its mind about minor issues, we should push for the bigger ones. Such as visa requirements and other silly requirements that us farang have to keep meeting or we are kicked out. I know for a fact my wife, who is Thai, is bored of having to keep going to immigration everytime my extenstion comes up. It is about time they give 1 yr to people who are married, 5 yrs to 10 yrs to people who are married and can prove cash in the bank.

What is wrong with having street food in areas that can be cleaned properly once a day rather than everywhere where someone can set up a street side cart where there is no running water and no where to dump rubbish except in the gutter.
I don't eat street food, in fact I rarely eat Thai food, neither hold any appeal for me visually or taste wise.
Let it stay, let it be local but at least let it look and feel clean.

You don't eat it or find it visually appealing. Very well you still would allow it to stay if it can "look and feel clean". Since you don't eat it How about not worrying about what Thais expect and enjoy.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:07 PM, edgarfriendly said:

i guess the rats squeaked loud enough that they wouldnt be able to breed like rats if there was no filth left night after night for them to feast, piss n shit all over

I like your rosy outlook on life! 

On 4/20/2017 at 1:24 PM, cunningstunt said:

Exactly, slurping chicken soup with smelly backpackers and stoned aging hippies is not particularly enticing

Smelly backpackers? Having been one myself many moons ago I can honestly say that I never met one that smelled, and nor have I since.

Besides, unless you're fresh off the boat you should know by now that LOS really stands for Land Of Smells so if your olfactories are easily offended you're probably in the wrong place.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:38 PM, robblok said:

Its a standard tactic all over the world.. bring something up that shocks everyone .. then come back with a milder version and get done what you really wanted to do.

How much salary do you want (most would say more so there is negotiation room). This is similar. 

I think you are giving them a little too much credit.....