Udon Thani..Best hotel and airport car rental?

BruceMangosteen

Hello. I used to stay at the "Grand Choruiso" or something like that. Does anyone know if that's still the best hotel in Udon Thani and if so, what is it's current name? Rumor has it Centara took over management of it?

I'm also told by my partner that renting a car at the airport is no problem, "you can with ATM card". I found this remarkable, but anyhow any suggestions on which if any car rental outfit to use much appreciated. Mid size car with full insurance. 

Trip is for three or four nights. If there any new sites worthwhile please advise. Not interested in temples or landmarks, but something like a waterfall or car/motorcycle race scene interesting. No interest in farang bars or brothels(not farang or Thai or Laotian). Former scene easily avoided. Hopefully that's still true.. Any fine dining also of interest, not seafood or farang food. It's Udon Thani after all is said and done diba?

Thanks and God Bless You and OO. 

The car rental offices at Udon airport will only accept a credit card. Debit cards or cash are not accepted. All international car rental companies work like that so they can do a transaction against damages and then a charge back if everything is in order on returning the vehicle. You can only do the charge back with a credit card.

However across from the terminal you will see a coffee shop and they run a car rental service out of there and they work in cash. Last time I was in Udon I hired a Honda City from them. I know about it because when my debit card was refused by Hertz, the young lady took me to the cafe and introduced me. No doubt she got a commission. I have 3 mobile numbers for them. I don't know if it's against forum rules to post numbers but if you pm me I'll give them to you.

I don't have a credit card and have always used my debit cards in Thailand when renting cars (Sixt/Hertz). They take a large deposit against damage etc. and pay back on return so I guess Udon Thani is different.

Edited by Flustered

Some would probably disagree but if you want to be in the thick of it Pannerai hotel is best, better than Centara in my opinion. Then again when I was staying in Udon I would just grab a room in the Irish Clock massive room overlooking the street.

I don't have a credit card and have always used my debit cards in Thailand when renting cars (Sixt/Hertz). They take a large deposit against damage etc. and pay back on return so I guess Udon Thani is different.

From Hertz Thailand website.

CAN I USE MY DEBIT CARD IF I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD?

Hertz Thailand is requires a Credit Card for security deposit on the main driver’s credit card amount THB 10,000 for standard vehicles and rental fee when pick up a car at the counter.

From Sixt Thailand website.

* Valid credit card imprint is required at time of rental for Pre-Authorization security deposit of THB 20,000 (for small car group) and THB 50,000 (for premium car group)

Some would probably disagree but if you want to be in the thick of it Pannerai hotel is best, better than Centara in my opinion. Then again when I was staying in Udon I would just grab a room in the Irish Clock massive room overlooking the street.

I stayed at the Pannerai once. Never again. The bass speakers blairing out music from the bars next door is unbearable until 2am. Daytime also.

10 minutes ago, trd said:

I stayed at the Pannerai once. Never again. The bass speakers blairing out music from the bars next door is unbearable until 2am. Daytime also.

My old boy stayed there last month I was round everyday for a week didn't hear much in the daytime. I also thought they were pretty strict on midnight curfew these days. Also said some would disagree ;)

12 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Pannarai is very overrated and hugely over priced for thailand, have stayed once and never again and the buffet breakfast was very poor, best buffet is the centara, best room only hotel is The Lion King

Agreed! breakfast as close to inedible as it gets, unless you enjoy processed food! small pool & very basic rooms in a dubious location!

Doesn't help the question but despite what Hertz/Sixt print, I have never used a credit card, I do not have one. They (Phuket and Ciang Mai) have always deducted a 10,000 baht (or near) deposit from my Visa debit and then paid it back on return.

However, I bow to current knowledge and local experience.

4 minutes ago, magicroundabout said:

If it's any help I used Lek Car rentals last time and they didn't require a cc. From memory I paid a 5000 Baht deposit in cash. They delivered the car to the airport. It was all hassle free. Just Google the name

Should have said fully insured etc

14 hours ago, CGW said:

Agreed! breakfast as close to inedible as it gets, unless you enjoy processed food! small pool & very basic rooms in a dubious location!

Maybe you could suggest a hotel in Udon with a great breakfast, not basic hotel room and a big pool cos it sure aint the centara. 

Edited by starky

3 hours ago, starky said:

Maybe you could suggest a hotel in Udon with a great breakfast, not basic hotel room and a big pool cos it sure aint the centara. 

The Centara buffet breakfast is fantastic, never stayed in their rooms, as they are stupid expensive .

2 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

The Centara buffet breakfast is fantastic, never stayed in their rooms, as they are stupid expensive .

Actually the pool is pretty good too but the room I don't think is very flash unless you go with a suite and yeah then pretty expensive.  IMO no real stand out hotels in Udon just purely a matter of choice. I was living in hotels in Udon for 2 years before I committed to moving there. I think I've stayed in nearly all the ones in town. Much of a muchness.

Wife and I have stayed at the Pannarai, and liked it. It was loud as some other posters have noted. Our favorite by far is the Pajaktra Design Hotel. Not in the center of things. Quiet. Excellent restaurant on the roof. 4 star anywhere in the world for less than B2000. The deluxe is worth it

19 hours ago, Flustered said:

Doesn't help the question but despite what Hertz/Sixt print, I have never used a credit card, I do not have one. They (Phuket and Ciang Mai) have always deducted a 10,000 baht (or near) deposit from my Visa debit and then paid it back on return.

However, I bow to current knowledge and local experience.

Thanks for all the replies... Regarding this deposit from you VISA Debit Card...how is it paid back on return? Credit memo on your card? Any delays? Thanks and God Bless. OO.

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

Simply presented the same card and just as in any other shop refund, the money is transferred back.

It didn't use to be that simple. Credit memos using credit cards took 90 days, sometimes longer. However, I've not tried that using a Debit VISA Card so your indication is welcome news. God Bless You and OO.

Hire companies demand credit cards and not debit cards, because they can then charge you for damage on a credit card (amounts well over the 'deposit') without you having to agree. Many stories about people being charged heaps by car hire companies when their poorly maintained vehicle breaks while they drive (or if they have an accident). You can get credit cards with a limit and that is what I always did.  Likewise, someone mentioned LEK Car Rentals - they deal in cash and are good.

Someone also mentioned insurance, but let me assure you many car hire companies in Thailand dont maintain proper insurance policies - and their Ts&Cs allow them to charge your credit card either way.  Consumer Laws are very much non-existent in Thailand, so dont think you are ever covered by the car company's insurance policy.  

Open a limited credit card at another bank for car hire in places like BKK/Pattaya, and use companies like LEK in places like Udon Thani.