Meter on a private pole

outdoorbloke

Hi we installed a private pole out the front of our land as it was easier than trying to run the fire through a tree to the existing pole.

we are getting told by the "sparky" that we can't have the meter on our pole and it needs to go on the existing pole and our pole is just a hop point for the overhead wires.

our pole sits about 30 cm from the existing wires and the sparky has said that if we want to have the meter on our pole we have to get the pea to re run the mains via our poles.

our pole sits roughly midway in the existing span is there any reason they can't just tap the mains mid span. I don't really trust this "sparky as he also tried to tell me 6mm2 was fine for the mains cable. I went with 16mm2

Tapping mid-span is a no-no, applies stress at the worst point in the span.

We have a private pole in much the same position as yours (more like 1.5m from the main run), it's just a hopping point for the cable to make the route more aesthetic.

Why don't you want the meter on the PEA pole?

I wouldn't worry, they want the meter on their pole, any problems are theirs.

I'm sure you could get the meter on your pole, but any cabling going to it would be PEA's responsibility and they would expect you to pay for installing it.

They may even want the pole to be an official PEA pole, ours just happen to be stamped "PEA" :smile:

I just checked out the electricians work and wow thailand scares me . He has run back to the PEA pole and pre tapped the neatural and active ready from them to install the meter.

So there is now an active wire on the pole at touchable hight with only a piece of tape to stop people getting fried. Talk about dangerous good thing I make a habit of trying to avoid power poles 

PVC tape is a pretty good insulator. Like you, I'm not overly happy with live ends just taped up, but in reality it's not going to kill anyone unless they decide to unwind the tape.

I can't comment on the timing for your meter, it took a week to get our temporary meter so suspect similar timing but much depends upon the local office.

Visit the PEA first thing Monday with your Blue Book and request a supply. You may need to "lubricate" the process a little.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:06 PM, outdoorbloke said:

Mainly cause the neighbors yard where the PEA pole is a bit of a jungle so can see it causing some issues in the future.

Unfortunately the PEA pole is not in the neighbor's yard, it is in the "PEA right of way" and ,although it you would expect that you neighbor would want to keep it aesthetically pleasing, it is not his responsibility.  You see government crews clearing the brush from the right away beside roads all of the time.