Educational institutions asked to foster integrity, ethics among children

webfact

4 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Sorry, but there are plenty of examples of children going on to achieve academically, despite the fact they had a shit home life with zero support, ...simply because they got what they needed at school, especially with younger children-primary ....who are more open to learning.

According to you, if a kid has a shit home life there is no point of them going to school because they won't learn anything?

Don't they teach bathroom etiquette at school??

8 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Sorry, but there are plenty of examples of children going on to achieve academically, despite the fact they had a shit home life with zero support, ...simply because they got what they needed at school, especially with younger children-primary ....who are more open to learning.

According to you, if a kid has a shit home life there is no point of them going to school because they won't learn anything?

BS, that is not what I am saying at all.

No one is talking about the ability to learn.  Of course all children can achieve that.

We are talking about ethical thinking and moral compass.

This starts at home, not school.

11 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

If I recall correctly, the topic of this thread is " an understanding of ethics, honesty, and integrity", not academic success.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"May, you have to learn ethics, honesty, fairness, respect, trustworthiness, and most important of all self-sufficiency. Or you have to go work bar on Soi 6 in Pattaya like your sister. Understand?"

Sit around play facebook--check makeup--sleep all day-cat call farangs and hangout

with friends and make money doing it..add in a few orange juices too....guess which they pick??

:wai:

My feeling is, that it will not work that easily.

Thai teachers need to be more pro active and less, I Am!

Less eating in classrooms and offices or playing on their smart phones during classroom session.

Teachers are responsible for guiding students in a productive and constructive way, not one of, IT DOES NOT MATTER. They are suppose to set an example of critical thinking in an unbiased fashion, within an academic environment, not in an unruly mad house, namely the SCHOOL!

Or fudge the exam results!

They should accept that they are wrong at times and should listen more to what the pupils have to say rather than indoctrinating the students with misinformation and lies.

Schools should also be far less corrupt.

Less school activities and holidays .

But sadly, the Thai mindset is not seemingly there.

Thai students, in general, are lazy, rude , disrespectful and undisciplined.

Not all Thai students are that way inclined. Many Thai students do want to learn and progress, but unfortunately they are being held back by unqualified, insensitive and uncompassionate teachers, hell bent on indoctrinating their minds.

We're in the 21 century! Wake up!

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If I recall correctly, the topic of this thread is " an understanding of ethics, honesty, and integrity", not academic success.

I'm afraid your recollection of the topic is a little hazy, it's actually about "Educational institutions" and their role as educators ....whose raison d'être or end game is the "academic success" of their students.

Should it be required, see topic title for more information....

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

BS, that is not what I am saying at all.

No one is talking about the ability to learn.  Of course all children can achieve that.

We are talking about ethical thinking and moral compass.

This starts at home, not school.

So are you saying 'if it doesn't start at home' then it doesn't start at all?

I would disagree with this, as kids spending 8 hours at school mon-fri probably spend far more time engaged and interacting with teachers and their fellow students in a rule-based, school environment than they do with their own parents.

Again, it's not uncommon for a kid to learn something at school on the subject of 'ethical thinking and moral compass' and then go to challenge their own parents thinking.... or at a minimum go on to become a 'better' adult than their parents due to the hard work and attentions of a good teacher.

How many kids have learned at school that it's wrong for their parents to touch them inappropriately?

How many kids have learned at school that it's wrong to bully or hurt other kids even when their own parents encourage them to do so?

It won't be long before this country is run by the Hasip - Hasip offspring of the mixed marriages that have been occurring for how ever many years, who have learnt about Ethics & integrity etc etc worked hard at school and are now eager to oust the old useless bureaucrats and make something of this country.   

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

50 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I'm afraid your recollection of the topic is a little hazy, it's actually about "Educational institutions" and their role as educators ....whose raison d'être or end game is the "academic success" of their students.

Should it be required, see topic title for more information....

Sorry, onthesoi, I am not going senile yet! But I have re-read the lead article once again and I see no reference to what so ever to academic achievement. The article specifically encourages schools to provide  an understanding of ethics, honesty, and integrity. And in my understanding of the English language, there is a distinct difference between the two.

I am not doubting what you said earlier regarding deprived children going on to be a success in life. I'm sure either of us could draw up quite long list of such persons in short order. But is not what the article is about. One only has to read the headline to see that.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

Again, it's not uncommon for a kid to learn something at school on the subject of 'ethical thinking and moral compass' and then go to challenge their own parents thinking.... or at a minimum go on to become a 'better' adult than their parents due to the hard work and attentions of a good teacher.

So, if it is not uncommon for kids to learn these values in school as you suggest, why does this meeting of intelligentsia feel that it is necessary to encourage schools to provide such teaching?

There's a bit of a disconnect here, don't you think?

After a day of ethics, honesty and integrity in the classroom, the students , three to a motorcycle, no helmets , no licence, grab a take-away drink or food at one of the food stalls outside the school gates. They then roar off with the exhaust pipe sounding like a WW2  Spitfire and throw the empty drink cups and food wrappings into the road side as they go. Parental control and guidance should be the way to teach these ethics etc not the teachers who have better things to do with their time, like attending to their makeup , adjusting their hairstyle and making sure their medal ribbons are straight during the 3R's lessons !!