Georgia grants couple's request to give daughter surname 'Allah'

webfact

27 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You possibly haven't noticed that moslems aren't exactly popular at the moment - and school kids will find any excuse to pick on/laugh at another kid.

19 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Well, Dick I can understand your concern about being teased at school because of your name (I don't want to remind you of memories that might haunt still today). But Godzilla is hardly popular and, as we all know, kids in playground gangs will turn anything  into a weapon. Logic isn't a priority.

"as we all know, kids in playground gangs will turn anything  into a weapon"

Which was my point about the parents changing their kids' surname to Allah....

Incidentally, it may come as a suprise to you to learn that my user-name is not my actual name :saai:, and that I was never bullied at school.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Well, if a black, fake muslim in Africa can rename Cassius Clay to Muhammad then why not have a few hillbilly Allahs? 

I've had 2 kids in my classes here in Thailand named "<deleted>". I thought they were pulling my chain til I found out it's the name of a gourd grown here. :thumbsup:

On 4/24/2017 at 2:43 PM, Jingthing said:

I understand different sides of this argument, but in the American context, I support the ACLU's position on this. The child may indeed be disadvantaged by this but the overall societal good of ensuring such freedoms is more important. I would compare it the case where the Nazis were allowed to march in Skokie, Illinois, in a community where there were a lot of holocaust survivors. The ACLU took the side of the Nazis about their free speech constitutional rights. I realize other nations don't hold such freedoms with such a high value. The ACLU wasn't supporting Nazi ideology with that position in any way. It was about American values of free speech. 

Free speech is entirely different to lumbering someone else with a surname that is likely to cause them problems!

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Well, if a black, fake muslim in Africa can rename Cassius Clay to Muhammad then why not have a few hillbilly Allahs? 

I've had 2 kids in my classes here in Thailand named "<deleted>". I thought they were pulling my chain til I found out it's the name of a gourd grown here. :thumbsup:

Born in ATLANTA.

Not Hillbilly country, dude.

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/24/2017 at 2:40 PM, dick dasterdly said:

You possibly haven't noticed that moslems aren't exactly popular at the moment - and school kids will find any excuse to pick on/laugh at another kid.

I'd be more worried at one of the more militant moslems seeing it as blasphemy and deciding to do something about it.

On 4/24/2017 at 2:40 PM, dick dasterdly said:

4 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I'd be more worried at one of the more militant moslems seeing it as blasphemy and deciding to do something about it.

Either way, its not good news for the kids that have been 'blessed' by their incredibly intelligent parents with this surname :sad:.