Taxation

pharlap

Hello Friends,

I will be living in Thailand (under spouse visa, my wife is thai) and working for a singapore company.  They will pay my salary in singapore, where i will be taxed.  

Does anyone know if I will also have any tax obligation in thailand because i am living there?  this is a salary totally paid in singapore (ie no money come to thailand)

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Sorry Fester thats wrong - tax does not relate to work permits - the rule is this:

You are deemed to be a tax resident if you spend more than or equal to 180 days per year in a tax year in Thailand and you will be liable to be taxed on the monies when they are bought into the country if you bring them in in the SAME year they are earned. See Revenue Code of Thailand Section 41. A Tax year is a calender year. Where the money is paid is irrelevant.

You are deemed to be a tax resident if you spend more than or equal to 180 days per year in a tax year in Thailand and you will be liable to be taxed on the monies when they are bought into the country if you bring them in in the SAME year they are earned. See Revenue Code of Thailand Section 41. A Tax year is a calender year. Where the money is paid is irrelevant.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wont a double taxtion treaty cover this eventuality?

No reference is made to double taxation treaty's in the correspondence I have seen. I agree though that one would normally expect there to be such a mechanism and it would be fair (but when did fairness ever come into such issues). If anyone has information on DT treaty's and their impact in Thailand I would be interested to see it.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/7570.0.html

check this out, the tax treaty between singapore and thailand. May be useful...

Nice one Samran................I did check it out but fell asleep after the 3rd para...........I was looking to see if the treaty covers Pharlaps situation where he is actually working in Thailand (I would imagine the treaty is intended to cover double taxation where the worker is deriving the income from Singapore not vice versa). When I have more time I will take another look. Sad but I find this quite interesting!