Are you married!

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's fine Joe, but I still think there is too much hassle involved been married to a Thai. I have done the extensions and the visa. I know someone personally who in applying for the extensions, had two immigration officials come to his house, then ask for 2000 Bt for "fuel expenses", and only lives about 60 Ks from the immigration office.

I see it as part of the Thai genes in never make anything easy when you can make it hard.

Which is my point exactly I'll stick to non o visa

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chuang said:

Probably he doesn't know there is a visa called marriage visa or something like that...

Well he's got over 400 posts already,you think the penny would have dropped by now.Unless he has been hanging out in the farming forum.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, I agree with the OP wholeheartedly, westerners married to a Thai girl should not have to put up with all this hoop jumping, even the marriage extensions and all the hassle involved and the 90 day reporting is outrageous.

This carry on with immi is all there for a reason.The previos rorts that went on for decades that made some visas a joke.Slowly they are closing the loopholes but the quick in out money trick still seems to be going strong down by the sea shore.

My story  at aged 60 , 5years ago and after my 5th heart attack and with 8 stents helping my damaged heart i decided to travel to Asia while i still could just  manage just to get around on my own  .

Started in Bangkok and then went by train into Cambodia saw all the sights i could ,then into Vietnam to Saigon, Hue and Hanoi  then over to Halong Bay  and then back to Thailand and ended up in Ayutthaya , where at a small hotel i met my wife to be ,Thongsuk !!  although i spoke no Thai and she spoke no english ,something just happened and we were inseparable , two years later i married her .

My life is hard at the moment as being disabled i have very limited savings, my British  pension  and my disabled benefit .

i have to travel usually  3 times a year to stop for one or two months with the woman i love , because of my heart condition i am unable to get any type of travel or medical insurance, and cant ever see a time when i would ever be able to meet the visa requirements to be able to stop in the country and with the woman i love .

But would i change it ??  NEVER  i found more happiness in my life in the last 5 years and when i read comments of how hard it is doing visa runs , you should try what i face , with the rules from both the Thai and UK governments changing all the bloody time .

I was certainly no great catch for my wife of 49 years with no children but i support her the best i can, as most of my savings go on flights , and the hardest thing that i will have to face in the not to distant future is when i no longer will be able to travel ...what then ??.

17 minutes ago, gilkouk said:

My story  at aged 60 , 5years ago and after my 5th heart attack and with 8 stents helping my damaged heart i decided to travel to Asia while i still could just  manage just to get around on my own  .

Started in Bangkok and then went by train into Cambodia saw all the sights i could ,then into Vietnam to Saigon, Hue and Hanoi  then over to Halong Bay  and then back to Thailand and ended up in Ayutthaya , where at a small hotel i met my wife to be ,Thongsuk !!  although i spoke no Thai and she spoke no english ,something just happened and we were inseparable , two years later i married her .

My life is hard at the moment as being disabled i have very limited savings, my British  pension  and my disabled benefit .

i have to travel usually  3 times a year to stop for one or two months with the woman i love , because of my heart condition i am unable to get any type of travel or medical insurance, and cant ever see a time when i would ever be able to meet the visa requirements to be able to stop in the country and with the woman i love .

But would i change it ??  NEVER  i found more happiness in my life in the last 5 years and when i read comments of how hard it is doing visa runs , you should try what i face , with the rules from both the Thai and UK governments changing all the bloody time .

I was certainly no great catch for my wife of 49 years with no children but i support her the best i can, as most of my savings go on flights , and the hardest thing that i will have to face in the not to distant future is when i no longer will be able to travel ...what then ??.

Move here 5000bht non o visa based on marriage after 90 days go to immigration extend for 60 days then border run and do it all over again. Last few days of visa border run and extend gives you 17mths. Saving all those air fares so therefore having a bit more to live on here. Medical well I expect you would have to self fund that but thai local hospitals are good no need to use the expensive ones

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Move here 5000bht non o visa based on marriage after 90 days go to immigration extend for 60 days then border run and do it all over again. Last few days of visa border run and extend gives you 17mths. Saving all those air fares so therefore having a bit more to live on here. Medical well I expect you would have to self fund that but thai local hospitals are good no need to use the expensive ones

I have to disagree with you. Moving here with Health problems and no health insurance is not a good idea. The hospitals are good here but without insurance they could bankrupt the gentleman very quickly and destroy his wife's nest egg. It would be better if she could move to the UK. However they haven't really lived together in a permanent way so I can't see the UK authorities giving her a settlement visa. Anyone have any ideas that can actually help them?

• Like 1

Government hospitals are of a reasonable cost certainly the other so called top end hospitals fall into your summary also the op states he comes over 3 times a year so possibly 6 months in country with no insurance! . To say it's not helpful because you personally disagree is also not helpful. I know what I would do but it's not my choice I'm Purley giving him an option

Edited by jeab1980

On 4/25/2017 at 8:49 AM, jeab1980 said:

I Base my decision on been there and done that and it's not for me. I say weekly as every week a new story appears on here or other Thailand forums about the sheer stupidity of immigration and the extra process which they decide to use on a particular day the intrusive pictures required what next a movie of you and your Mrs making out!. I don't have to plan anything with regards to 90 day runs when there due I have two options and I choose the option that suits at the time. That's one of the main reasons I retired to enjoy life and plan nothing. Having a non o is not a burden it does not tie me down if I want a holiday 30 days into the 90 we do not hassle no grief. As I say suits me.

& with the M/E Visa you have the freedom of entering & leaving when you like. Unless you paid extra on the Extension for Multi

With Extension you still have to pay 1900 bht & then go to immi ( maybe twice ) with all the docs you so carefully spent last week gathering together - so with the cost of all that running around not much difference to a 1 or 2 day border run 

24 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

With Extension you still have to pay 1900 bht & then go to immi ( maybe twice ) with all the docs you so carefully spent last week gathering together - so with the cost of all that running around not much difference to a 1 or 2 day border run 

You should already have everything you need for the extension  other than proof of money in the bank or income and a updated Kor Ror 2. It certainly does not take a week of running around.

All the copies I need are already done and saved as files on my computer and the cloud.

My wife goes to the Amphoe to get the updated Kor Ror 2 which takes very little time.

The 4 pics take very little time to do since I print them out myself on 2 A4 size sheets.

I use the income option. I get the proof from my embassy at my leisure within 6 months before my extension is due.

My costs are no where near the costs of doing border runs and a annual trip to a embassy or consulate. Plus 5k baht for the visa.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should already have everything you need for the extension  other than proof of money in the bank or income and a updated Kor Ror 2. It certainly does not take a week of running around.

All the copies I need are already done and saved as files on my computer and the cloud.

My wife goes to the Amphoe to get the updated Kor Ror 2 which takes very little time.

The 4 pics take very little time to do since I print them out myself on 2 A4 size sheets.

I use the income option. I get the proof from my embassy at my leisure within 6 months before my extension is due.

My costs are no where near the costs of doing border runs and a annual trip to a embassy or consulate. Plus 5k baht for the visa.

Cost of ext v non o

Non o 5k plus in my case 500bht diesel x4 2000bht accommodation in laos last year 550bht visa 35$ 1200bht  x 4 =4800bht

Apx 12500bht for 15mths or add 5700bht for 17mths if you extend.

Ext 1900 plus whatever it cost to get a multi entry. 

Winner ext on cost alone

Winner on no  hassle stakes non o by a country mile.

As I've said I've done both routes and can say without a doubt I would never go back to ext route unless they change the goal post on non o's of course.

But on reading the figures it sort of slaps the "oh you can afford or you cannot fulfill the requirements brigade"in the face. As obviously I/we/they can afford 20k a year to get non o and associated runs ext.

Edited by jeab1980

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Winner on no  hassle stakes non o by a country mile.

That is a matter of opinion.

In my case there is no way the non-o could win. No hassle to get my extensions. Last 2 extension applications have taken less than two hours to do.

A 2 or 3 day trip to Savannakhet for the visa. A day spent for each new entry.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a matter of opinion.

In my case there is no way the non-o could win. No hassle to get my extensions. Last 2 extension applications have taken less than two hours to do.

A 2 or 3 day trip to Savannakhet for the visa. A day spent for each new entry.

One night in Savanakhet leave home 0430 hand in paperwork before 11am go to hotel drop bags. Have a drive around. Have food. Check in hotels sleep for a few hours of for food and a few drinks. Next day pick up visa ASAP after 2pm off home back home by 9pm at latest that's if I have to wait for visa until late 4pm get it at 2.15pm home by 7pm.

Visa run leave home 8am do the run to nong khai back home 2pm but we make a day of it and visit friends. So not as bleak a picture as you make it sound but as you say horses for courses

You do no have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

All you have to do is marry your wife and do 90 day reporting on your marriage visa/extension.

The choice is yours, ether follow the rules or don't.

Of course, your marriage visa/extension will mean you have to come up with either 400K Thai Baht or 40K monthly for the  marriage./visa

As I know from my previous history, my Thai partner was left penniless with 3 children by her Aussie husband who later drank himself to death in Australia.

I met her in a Bangkok bar, and stayed with her for 30 years raising her 3 children.

to adults.

But that is a long story.

In this world you make your own choices, don't you/

On 4/25/2017 at 10:07 AM, Suradit69 said:

Many have pretended to be married just so they can stay in Thailand on the cheap.

"Marriage" - even if just for show, would be far from the cheapest way to stay in Thailand.  Paying schools + tea-money for extensions would be far less expensive - as would serial Tourist Visas, though the latter are honest, so more risky than a straight-payoff like the "new strict" ED rules provide.

More often than not the "stories" than appear demonstrate the stupidity or lack of basic preparation on the part of the applicant. ...

... or ignorance of the particular rules/policies of a particular immigration office at a particular point in time.  The applied rules are neither static in time nor consistent across locations.

As to the photographs or anything else you consider intrusive or overly strict, such things generally come about in response to farang who have abused or gamed the system.

That's the same reason things have become stricter with visa exempt entries, with student visas and extensions and with serial use of tourist visas, people have abused these to   finagle long stays in Thailand.

For a very long time, Thai immigrations was considered pretty laid-back about most things and then through the "sheer stupidity" of those who took advantage of that, things became tougher.

To believe this, one must overlook that the 'new policies' fuel the use of agents, who "kick-back" tea-money.  Certainly that is not the "real" reason for these changes, even though special new systems of tea-money have been invented in the case of ED-visas, for example.  Or ...

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I know someone personally who in applying for the extensions, had two immigration officials come to his house, then ask for 2000 Bt for "fuel expenses", and only lives about 60 Ks from the immigration office.

17 hours ago, electric said:

Did he pay it ? 2000 baht

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, he was frightened not to in case there were any comebacks.

Which just might be the reason for the "crackdowns," no?  Seems a lot more probable than people thinking marriage is the "cheap/easy route" to staying in Thailand. 

I love my Thai GF a lot - the best gal I've ever known by far.  But we are not going to be having children together, and "marrying her family" seems far from a frugal plan of action.

@ jack thompThompson said

"I love my Thai GF a lot - the best gal I've ever known by far.  But we are not going to be having children together, and "marrying her family" seems far from a frugal plan of action."

Quite simple don't marry her family. Marrying someone does not as many think open doors to your bank for her family. Living with a girl friend I it just as likely to happen then as being married. I've never once in my years of marriage here in Thailand been asked by my wife to support her family.

The rest of your post I wholly agree with by the way

35 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

@ jack thompThompson said

"I love my Thai GF a lot - the best gal I've ever known by far.  But we are not going to be having children together, and "marrying her family" seems far from a frugal plan of action."

Quite simple don't marry her family. Marrying someone does not as many think open doors to your bank for her family. Living with a girl friend I it just as likely to happen then as being married. I've never once in my years of marriage here in Thailand been asked by my wife to support her family.

The rest of your post I wholly agree with by the way

It depends on the family, and how much they are willing to hurt her to get to you.   I am glad to hear it is not always this way.

I was then asked," why do I have to go out of the country every 3 months"."

Either you choose to do so, or you don't meet the requirements.

Cos it's not convenient to have immigration turning up every other month or so, as the Ranong office do a sweep looking for non registered Burmese.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

On 4/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote I have done 9 extension based upon marriage. Only once out of all of those did I have to get something I did not have with me.

A lot your read about people having problems is created by themselves because they forgot something and blamed it on immigration. There is also a lot of hearsay about doing them by people that have never applied for one.

Spot on , I have personal experience of expats who choose to ignore good advice of which there is plenty available particularly on this forum, then blame the authorities when it goes pear shaped.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So instead of turning to beer you could use similar money to stay here for 5 years without having to leave the country...  Cost: 274 baht per day.

The problem is, you cannot pay daily, monthly, or even annually.  But as soon as we can pick up a "12-pack" of "days of permitted stay" at 7-11, please let us know - that could come in handy sometime. 

They could make a fortune if they did this, and save on personnel-costs at immigration-offices.  Though, they would need to make it competitive for the region (Vietnam is <5000 Baht/yr, Cambodia is < 15,000 /yr) - so maybe 100 Baht/day, paid in weekly or monthly increments could work.