Frenchman plunges to his death at Bangkok condo

webfact

Frenchman plunges to his death at Bangkok condo
By The Nation

5c7f5708885458db19587eebbcc5376a.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A 57-year-old French national fell to his death from his apartment on the 21st floor of a Bangkok condominium on Tuesday morning, police said.

Following the 7.45am report of the foreigner falling to his death at the 40-storey riverside condominium on Rama III Road in Bang Kho Laem district, Wat Phraya Krai police found the body of Pierre-Louis Chute outside the building. 

His room showed no signs of being ransacked or of a struggle having taken place there, police said.

Police found the Frenchman used to work at an oil company and got early retirement, with him living in Thailand for more than a decade. 

Police suspect the man, who lived alone, might have committed suicide due to stress over a chronic illness as they found many medicine packages in his apartment. 

The body was sent to Chulalongkorn Hospital's morgue for the autopsy.

Police contacted the French Embassy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30313299

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-25

You know, for once when the police put forward the suicide theory so quickly, it would be nice to hear something supporting it, like a goodbye note.

Given he had lots of medications there, he could just as easily be drowsy and uncoordinated. Accidents do happen occasionally.

Edited by darksidedog
Typo

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

You know, for once when the police put forward the suicide theory so quickly, it would be nice to hear something supporting it, like a goodbye note.

Given he had lots of medications there, he could just as easily be drowsy and uncoordinated. Accidents do happen occasionally.

TBF , the Police did just say that they "Suspect" suicide and it wasnt confirmed as being the reality 

The problem with authorities assuming in Thailand is face. It's always best to say you don't know and you're investigating. It could well be suicide and all the signs can be there. But what happens after if you notice a sign of a struggle or something else? You think the lead detective will be happy to look further into that angle when he's already said it's more than likely a suicide? 

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

The problem with authorities assuming in Thailand is face. It's always best to say you don't know and you're investigating. It could well be suicide and all the signs can be there. But what happens after if you notice a sign of a struggle or something else? You think the lead detective will be happy to look further into that angle when he's already said it's more than likely a suicide? 

I do think that you are over analysing it now 

The reporter simply asked the Policeman what do they think happened

And they replied that they suspect it was a suicide , they will make an official ruling after the investigation and after the autopsy results are in

39 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think that you are over analysing it now 

The reporter simply asked the Policeman what do they think happened

And they replied that they suspect it was a suicide , they will make an official ruling after the investigation and after the autopsy results are in

Sure, they can say they think it's suicide based on what they've seen. My point is that in a country with face it's best to say nothing 'til it's concrete. It's a lot easier here to say what's happened once you know for sure, compared to after when you've said it's probably suicide and found out otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Sure, they can say they think it's suicide based on what they've seen. My point is that in a country with face it's best to say nothing 'til it's concrete. It's a lot easier here to say what's happened once you know for sure, compared to after when you've said it's probably suicide and found out otherwise. 

If its an issue of "losing face" , the Police may feel that saying "I dont know what happened" , would be a bigger face loser , than giving an answer to what they suspect may have happened

Just now, sanemax said:

If its an issue of "losing face" , the Police may feel that saying "I dont know what happened" , would be a bigger face loser , than giving an answer to what they suspect may have happened

Yes, that being the point. Gain face by saying you know what happened very shortly after checking. And not wanting to lose face if you find out you're wrong. That's what worries me. There should be protocol here to not be allowed to say anything until you know for sure. The wanting to gain face or not lose it can be too detrimental here. It has no place inside investigations. 

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, that being the point. Gain face by saying you know what happened very shortly after checking. 

The Police didnt say that they know what happened , they just said what they currently suspect happened

I have never heard of so many high dives from condos anywhere in the world as there are in Thailand. They are a regular occurrence. In Australia a balcony fall would be front page news for a week while here it is ho-hum. What is the explanation? Are they really suicides or are they assisted deaths?

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Police didnt say that they know what happened , they just said what they currently suspect happened

Okay, I misspoke in that sentence, but let's not digress. They should wait 'til they know for sure. This sentiment is even more important when face is involved. 

Which is the whole point of my original post. Wait until you know for sure. 

Just now, rkidlad said:

Okay, I misspoke in that sentence, but let's not digress over semantics. They shouldn't be saying it might suicide shortly after. They should wait 'til they know for sure. This sentiment is even more important when face is involved. 

Which is the whole point of my original post. Wait until you know for sure. 

I dont believe that its anything to do with wither losing or gaining face

The reporter simply asked a Policeman what happened and he simply replied that they suspect it was a suicide .

Maybe you feel that the Police should reply with "No comment" , but I dont see much wrong with the Police stating what they suspect happened, but , its not such a big deal

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont believe that its anything to do with wither losing or gaining face

The reporter simply asked a Policeman what happened and he simply replied that they suspect it was a suicide .

Maybe you feel that the Police should reply with "No comment" , but I dont see much wrong with the Police stating what they suspect happened, but , its not such a big deal

If it were in the UK, etc, I'd have no problems with it. Protocols are followed and there's no shame in admitting your original assessment was wrong.

Here in Thailand, it can be very different. "No comment" should always be the go to to save from having to worry if the police will honestly u-turn later if something else is found. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

If it were in the UK, etc, I'd have no problems with it. Protocols are followed and there's no shame in admitting your original assessment was wrong.

Here in Thailand, it can be very different. "No comment" should always be the go to to save from having to worry if the police will honestly u-turn later if something else is found. 

It wouldnt be a U-turn, if something else was found , because the Police only stated what they suspect had happened .

Just now, sanemax said:

It wouldnt be a U-turn, if something else was found , because the Police only stated what they suspect had happened .

Okay, this is digressing. You're right. The police only said they suspect suicide. Our interpretations of the significance of that comment are very different. 

16 minutes ago, Saladin said:

I have never heard of so many high dives from condos anywhere in the world as there are in Thailand. They are a regular occurrence. In Australia a balcony fall would be front page news for a week while here it is ho-hum. What is the explanation? Are they really suicides or are they assisted deaths?

I suggest you google "Gold Coast balcony fall", the result might surprise you. Some are obviously about the same incident, but there are still multiple occurrences:

Boy, 4, miraculously survives 8m fall from ... - Gold Coast Bulletin

www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/.../gold-coast/...fall...balcony/.../66f8968ef8ac5c786be9c...
Mar 7, 2017 - A YOUNG boy has miraculously survived a fall from a Gold Coast balcony this afternoon.

Man, 35, fighting for life after tragic Easter weekend balcony fall at ...

www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/.../gold-coast/...balcony-fall.../26207cf30f622168b4966...
Apr 17, 2017 - A man is fighting for his life after falling from a first floor balcony at ... into an induced coma before taking him to Gold Coast University Hospital.

Man critical after balcony fall | Gold Coast Bulletin

www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/.../gold-coast/...fall...balcony/.../aab4235f0afa2f49871eb...
Apr 16, 2017 - Coolangatta man undergoing emergency surgery at GCUH after overnight fall frombalcony. ... A MAN in his 30s is undergoing emergency surgery after falling from a balcony at a Musgrave St home in Coolangatta. The man fell onto his head from the Grande Corniche Apartments when he leaned ...

Schoolies balcony fall: Teen rushed to hospital - News.com.au

www.news.com.au/lifestyle/...balcony-fall.../2712a14d4db06b7b22f7af00d1ff37cf
Nov 24, 2016 - A TEENAGER has fallen several floors from a hotel balcony on the Gold Coast early this morning during Schoolies week celebrations.

• GOLD COAST: TWO FATAL BALCONY FALLS IN... - Gold Coast ...

GOLD COAST: TWO FATAL BALCONY FALLS IN TWO DAYS 19 & 23-year-old die from seperate highrisebalcony falls A 19-year-old man fell to his death from ...

Schoolie hurt after falling from Gold Coast balcony - Brisbane Times

www.brisbanetimes.com.au › News › Queensland
Nov 24, 2016 - A schoolie has been injured after falling two storeys from an apartment building at Surfers Paradise.

Australian teenager falls from Gold Coast balcony chasing cigarettes ...

www.stuff.co.nz/.../Australian-teenager-falls-from-Gold-Coast-balcony-chasing-cigarette...
Nov 25, 2016 - A Queensland school leaver has suffered a fractured pelvis after falling from a balconywhile trying to retrieve some cigarettes on the Gold ...

balcony fall – NBN News

www.nbnnews.com.au/tag/balcony-fall/
A teenager has had a lucky escape after falling three storeys from a balcony during Schoolies celebrations on the Gold Coast. The 17-year-old boy reportedly ...

Latest balcony fall articles | Topics | Sunshine Coast Daily

www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/topic/balcony-fall/