Using pink ID Thai card to apply for a mobile account

Has anyone any details or experience of how accepted the pink ID card is generally?

I was in a DTAC shop with my wife and son, she was looking for a new phone for our son. They both agreed on one he was keen on, then realised neither of them had any ID with them.

My wife said to the staff it was not a problem as I could use my pink Thai ID card (by effectively putting it in my name).

The staff looked puzzled, so I showed them my card. After looking at it for a minute or so, it was decided it was not a valid form of ID for a post-paid account. There was no request for house registration (not that Thais need to produce it anyway).

Any comments on the above, or other experience regarding using the pink ID card?

From what I have read in the some of the long topics about the pink ID card it depends upon where you use it.

Reports of it being accepted for a phone registration and post paid account while others were told no.

Same for banks.

• Like 1

Joe has it right some will some won't. I use mine in banks at home no problem got a phone from Dtac with it on contract no problem. Went to pay a bill at true visions forgot the bill they requested ID showed them card they refused to accept it even though I opened the account with it in the same branch there problem simple really showed them DL accepted paid bill then closed the account easy.

One of only two places so far not accepting the ID other was pattaya zoo.

Found the card to be a total waste of time. It was not accepted for me to get a contract phone but my Thai driving licence was. Infact the Thai driving licence has a lot more to offer. It has your passport number on too whereas the Pink ID does not. 

After all the hazzle and time wasted to get it and costing some money I wish I didnt bother. Maybe in the future we will all as residents be required to get it then it may be of more use. As an ID it only works in your area not any other.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Found the card to be a total waste of time. It was not accepted for me to get a contract phone but my Thai driving licence was. Infact the Thai driving licence has a lot more to offer. It has your passport number on too whereas the Pink ID does not. 

After all the hazzle and time wasted to get it and costing some money I wish I didnt bother. Maybe in the future we will all as residents be required to get it then it may be of more use. As an ID it only works in your area not any other.

Yeah well when you renew your thai drivers licence.and have pink I'd card.the drivers licence  will carry the same I'd number as your pink card and not your passport number anymore.

2 minutes ago, willr said:

Yeah well when you renew your thai drivers licence.and have pink I'd card.the drivers licence  will carry the same I'd number as your pink card and not your passport number anymore.

The number on the PC is your number that is on your YTB and you have to have a YTB first. I just renewed my DL and the number on it is my passport number not the number of the my pink card.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, willr said:

Not so well not on mine DL five year renewed last year still has passport number on not ID/yellow book ID number

47 minutes ago, willr said:

My first 1-year Thai DL issued in Udon had my YTB number but all subsequent renewals in Udon Thani have used my passport number. When you change/renew passport, you should present it at the subsequent Thai DL renewal, to make sure your new Thai DL uses your current passport number.

Up 2 u though and your experience an/or wishes can and will vary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Strange....I paid 60 baht to get mine. Took me an hour to get it and used it all over the place. Only True refused it....but that's  typical of True , they don't know their arse from their elbow

• Like 1