Underage sex scandal rocks quiet northeastern town

webfact

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have observed in my years of living here and as a grown up person that sex with under age/young girls has it's own allure and not many guys/men will say no to it if it was presented to them, while many will swear to the

opposite, given the right circumstances place and time, they will be in like Flynn......

I disagree absolutely.  Adults should protect children.  People with integrity and decency do not behave like your "associates"!

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Is there a town anywhere here in Thailand without prostitution, drugs, scandals and mafia.....?

I have only been in this country a week, but i am told that a place called Pattaya is free of all those vices, the residents can be seen walking their dogs every morning. Old ladies, dressed in black are always out in the mornings, and will give you a beaming hello whilst sweeping the steps of their shops,  in a place called Walking street, in which the cafe's and restaurants do tea and cucumber sandwiches at 4 pm every day.And the weather is very conducive to tourists at this time of year. :cheesy:

My guess is this is the tip of the iceberg.  So they need to start complaining about Pattaya and drum up some more 'sexpat' press releases to take the focus off the really unconscionable underbelly of the Thai sex trade that is 100% Thai.  

10 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Is there a town anywhere here in Thailand without prostitution, drugs, scandals and mafia.....?

Ahhh, no!  They just don't talk about the Thai-on-Thai sex-trade.  Just the foreigners.  That way it stays in the dark.

15 hours ago, khwaibah said:

The Nation needs to go to school and learn geography. Mae Hong Son is not in the northeastern it is in the northern just west of Chiang Mai

One of the first things I was told when moving to Thailand was 'never ask a Thai for directions'.

I would have worded the headline a little different...

Sounds like "Local band rocks a normally quiet little town".  

Sounds like a good thing until you read the article...

Edited by impulse

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where are all the underage-prostitute hunting NGOs when you need them?

They are saving the poor girls working at Nana Plaza who blow their money on phones, booze, clothes, and deadbeat boyfriends. 

I seem to remember something years ago about a child sex scandal involving one of the orphanages on the island of jersey, and also something about kids, and incest on Cairns Island( i think that was the island that the Bounty mutineers ended up on )

Just about every comment here points out this sort of sex slavery linked to corruption has been open knowledge for decades at least (earliest date on this small thread in the 1960s - obvious it's been "normal"" accepted practice for a lot longer) Comments also acknowledged those in charge are "powerful Thai men" - not criminal thugs (well, in some peoples' minds) but officials or minions of the authorities or privileged elite.  Yet the current inheritors or descendants of the privileged elite/authorities.continue a pretence of Thailand "progressing" to prevent or reduce human trafficking and slavery.

What is truth? Apparently a disturbing, even possibly offensive question for people who've spent their lives distorting the realities of their lives and roles in society.

1 hour ago, sandemara said:

Just about every comment here points out this sort of sex slavery linked to corruption has been open knowledge for decades at least (earliest date on this small thread in the 1960s - obvious it's been "normal"" accepted practice for a lot longer) Comments also acknowledged those in charge are "powerful Thai men" - not criminal thugs (well, in some peoples' minds) but officials or minions of the authorities or privileged elite.  Yet the current inheritors or descendants of the privileged elite/authorities.continue a pretence of Thailand "progressing" to prevent or reduce human trafficking and slavery.

What is truth? Apparently a disturbing, even possibly offensive question for people who've spent their lives distorting the realities of their lives and roles in society.

There's a fine line between "criminal thugs" and "powerful men". The most ruthless and most resourceful tend to rise to the top in both categories. 

There's also massive potential for mutual benefit in multiple ways in making alliances between the "criminal thugs" and "powerful men". They can exchange money for power. If allowed to fester over generations they merge, the criminals take powerful positions of their own and the powerful become owners of criminal enterprises.

Some people say that this is inevitable, and you see some form of  this in every single country on earth. Not the underage sex part perhaps, but the criminal and the powerful being in bed at the top. Look at the clinton foundation as an example of a seemingly "clean" criminal enterprise (literally selling power for money, poorly masked as a "foundation"). Trump is also a high level criminal.

Edited by hobz

I have to say I am not surprised that "The Nation" has shifted Mae Hong Son across the entire country.
Accuracy and truth in reporting are not, IMO, among their strongest journalistic qualities.
Is there, in fact, an editor?