EU leaders unite on Brexit demands, for now

rooster59

9 hours ago, terryw said:

Finally, 80% of Euro trades go through London. Nobody in the EU has sufficient skilled staff to take away this business. And there are plenty of countries who will want to trade with us once we no longer have to impose high EU tarrifs.

I have been trying to find out, what UK exports to the world and what is UK's real value.

Maybe it's the 80% of European trade which you claim to go through London.

UK-Trade-exports-graphic-001.jpg.a7f1106ef4fc43672b887528665030e8.jpg

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I have been trying to find out, what UK exports to the world and what is UK's real value.

Maybe it's the 80% of European trade which you claim to go through London.

UK-Trade-exports-graphic-001.jpg.a7f1106ef4fc43672b887528665030e8.jpg

What I don't understand is why someone who keeps claiming that the UK is a nonentity and best forgotten about is so obsessed with discussing the UK. Whistling in the graveyard springs to mind :biggrin:.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

What I don't understand is why someone who keeps claiming that the UK is a nonentity and best forgotten about is so obsessed with discussing the UK. Whistling in the graveyard springs to mind :biggrin:.

I pretty much dislike the types of Paris Hilton, Donald Trump and the Kardashians. Britain is acting as one in global scene.

Romania is demanding UK passports and citizenship for their citizens or they will block Brexit! Absurd demands along with all the other demands!

Do you have a source for that - they can't block Brexit since the agreement on leaving only requires qualified majority voting approval by EU.

1 hour ago, Orac said:

Do you have a source for that - they can't block Brexit since the agreement on leaving only requires qualified majority voting approval by EU.

The qualified majority being 20 of the 27 member nations.  And if no agreement is arrived at, then the UK is out 2 years after its official notification to the EU.

Edited by ilostmypassword

So, the EU want the UK to agree to pay about 60 billion euros on exit and to agree the status of Brits living in the EU (1 million) and of EU citizens living in the UK (about 4 million, a slight imbalance) FIRST and then providing we have been good boys and girls up to that point,  they will consider moving on to possible trade agreements.

Surely, it is exactly those kind of pre-conditions which negate most negotiations, since one party gets most of what it wants first and then agrees to talk about what the other party wants, when the latter has already conceded on the main points.

That will not work and the EU's opening negotiating position will mellow once talks begin.  Of course there will have to be give and take but it will not be just the EU taking as their "strong position" is overstated and the UK has some quite strong cards too.

The transfer of  the EMA and the EBA from London to the EU is demanded with the UK paying the cost of transfer.  This sounds just like Trump's Mexican wall  and in the same way that Mexico is categorically stating that they will not pay for it, I am sure that, after she has finished laughing at the absurd proposal, Theresa May will adopt an identical attitude.

May will prove, like Margaret Thatcher before her, that she is the best "man" in the Cabinet.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

So, the EU want the UK to agree to pay about 60 billion euros on exit and to agree the status of Brits living in the EU (1 million) and of EU citizens living in the UK (about 4 million, a slight imbalance) FIRST and then providing we have been good boys and girls up to that point,  they will consider moving on to possible trade agreements.

My understanding is that those 1 million Brits living in EU are mostly retirees. Their return to UK and cost to UK's healthcare NHS, will be great.

Meanwhile the most of EU citizens living in UK are those of working age, who support the local government by working and paying taxes.

I didn't check your claimed numbers.