Thai maintenance costs for Ducati vs Yamaha?

Morien

Hey

Currently deciding between a second hand Ducati M795 or a Yamaha MT-07. 

Bith th are the same price, however the Ducati is a few years older and quite a few times higher mileage clocked. 

In terms of ongoing run costs, which is the cheaper to maintain (taking into account reliability and costs of replacement parts)?

Located near dealerships for both. 

Thanks

Would expect the Ducati to be more expensive but its a far nicer bike in every way, also even today there was a post on the rubbish Yammy service. I would bite the bullet and have the Duke, dont forget that Ducati have a longer than normal routine service interval which could make a difference in the long run.
Websites here are useless so you probably need to go into the dealers to get quotes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Having had two 795 Ducati Monsters, now an MT 07. Yamaha more reliable, no cam belts to worry about.
MT 07 way more comfortable.
Yes Ducati may have more posing factor.
Both fun bikes, Ducati will cost in servicing !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Ducati recently reduced their service costs. The non major service for my 899 is around 2500 baht now which is pretty reasonable. 

Of course you never know with a second hand bike so be careful especially in Thailand. . I was at the track a couple of weeks ago and some guy was saying how Thais seem to have issues with Ducati. 20 minutes later a guy there with a 821 started his cold bike and revved it to the limiter on the stand to warm it up. It was like someone running their nails down a black board to me.

Anyway back to the Ducati bashing from people who've never owned or ridden one :)

I have a Ducati Diavel and previously had a Monster. I also have a Honda CB650F that I use on longer trips. IMO the Yamaha is hands down the winner as far as reliability and maintenance go. I had my Monster a year and never had a problem so I never found out about Ducati service. Now I've had a couple of problems with my Diavel and I have found out Ducati service is some of the worst that I have ever experienced. 

Ducatis are great bikes and I still don't plan on getting rid of my Diavel but you can be out of commission a couple of months with a mechanical problem with the Ducati not to mention that it's going to cost at least 2-3 times as much to get it fixed. 

Edited by Lucky33

Ducati servicing is on par with any other form of after purchase servicing in this country - crap!

This could be said for all vehicles / appliances / property etc.

It's hard to get good service when they take no pride in their work and have no shame, quite the combination really...

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Anyway back to the Ducati bashing from people who've never owned or ridden one :)

Ridden in test rides many Ducati's quite a way back in UK they didn't work for me,  that's not bashing to me, Ducati is a passion thing l think.

l always say and have said many times on here test ride whatever bike you like and make up your own mind up don't listen others, bikes are personal and also depends on the ability of the rider.

Here in Thailand have found Honda the most reliable but still luv my Versys even though l've had trouble with it. :thumbsup:

With any brand you can run into horrible reliability if you got a bad bike and you can run into horrible service if you got the wrong dealer.

Overall, from statistics like the one Cunsomer Reports published a few years ago and overall hear-say, I'd be pretty confident that the chance of getting a reliable bike is considerably higher with the Yamaha.

Also waiting time for parts should be better with Yamaha. I'd also bet that costs for parts are much cheaper at Yamaha. Ducati parts are outrageously expensive. Like 5-10x the cost of Honda in my first hand experience (have both brands).

A few price examples:

- rear break lever Ducati Scrambler: 4400 THB, Honda CBR500R: Can't remember the exact price but was less than 500 THB.

- Handle bar ends Ducati Scrambler: 400 THB, Honda CBR500R: 80THB.

I've not purchased a bunch of stuff for my Scrambler because of the stupidly high prices. E.g. A longer rear fender, simple piece of aluminium, 18k THB. Countless examples like that and it adds up.

If you get lucky and have a reliable bike, and if you are not afraid to lay out some cash then the Ducati will have more emotion, more style. The air cooled Monster sounds marvelous. To me, one of the best soundtracks of any bike ever. The MT-07 probably performs better,  probably will be considerably cheaper in the long run but wont be as sexy. A friend of mine bought the MT-07 and is pretty happy with it so far (though didn't do many kilometers yet).