Hungary's Orban accepts EU demands, EU party says

rooster59

Hungary's Orban accepts EU demands, EU party says

By Alastair Macdonald and Philip Blenkinsop

640x640 (12).jpg

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban looks up during a plenary session at the European Parliament (EP) in Brussels, Belgium April 26, 2017. REUTERS/Eric Vidal/Files

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban told leaders of his centre-right EU political group on Saturday that he would comply with demands from Brussels to change measures branded an attack on academic freedom, the party said.

There was no immediate confirmation from Orban. But the apparent easing of tensions with Budapest came as EU national leaders met in Brussels to demonstrate unity ahead of Brexit negotiations. They agreed formal guidelines for those talks with Britain without further discussion.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who is also part of the conservative bloc, said actions would speak louder than words.

"For me, and I believe this is also the case for the Commission, what matters are the actual results," she told a news conference after the Brussels summit.

Orban, in power since 2010, has regularly bashed the EU and is accused in Brussels along with leaders of some other ex-communist countries such as Poland, of willingly accepting EU funds, while rejecting EU values or a share of refugees. The Hungarian leader appeared to be in appeasing mode on Saturday.

"Prime Minister Orban committed himself in the EPP council to follow and implement all the demands of the European Commission within the deadline set by the Commission," Siegfried Muresan, the European People's Party spokesman, told reporters after Orban was grilled by fellow party leaders.

On Wednesday, the EU executive gave Budapest a month to adapt a higher education law passed on April 4, saying it was not compatible with fundamental European freedoms.

An Orban spokeswoman declined to say what Orban had told the meeting, called to clear the air within the centre-right bloc.

EPP President Joseph Daul, whose group has considered in the past suspending Orban's ruling Fidesz party over concerns about its respect for democratic values, said Orban had reassured the party that Hungary would comply with the Commission request.

Orban, who in common with other Eastern European leaders is anxious to show voters that they have not swapped half a century of rule from Moscow for diktat from Brussels, defended himself in the European Parliament on Wednesday.

He condemned his former ally in opposing Communist control in Hungary, Hungarian-born U.S. financier George Soros, as a "speculator". The Soros-backed Central European University in Budapest has said the new law is aimed at closing it down as part of a plan to discourage liberal thought.

"The measures in Budapest are not acceptable. Academic freedom must be guaranteed," Manfred Weber, the EPP's leader in the European Parliament, said after Saturday's meeting.

"So after this discussion the ball is in (Orban's) court. If he reacts properly, then he is a team player. If not, there will be consequences."

Poland also faces complaints from the EU executive that it is breaching standards which others see as fundamental to the idea of the European Union and defying the bloc's rules.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-30

Orban knows that he can make a lot of noise if he wants but that the EU countries that are in good economic shape and a main source of funds (located mainly in Western Europe) would be quite happy to shed the burden of having to carry some of those Eastern European states, some of whose governments are an embarrassment to the EU.

It is also noticeable that the EU managed to get all 26 EU states to agree the Brexit strategy in advance without a single hint of a leak to the press. Now that is quite an achievement for those who like to take a swipe at the EU.

I an unabashedly a pro-EU even though I am not in favour of the democratic deficit with respect to the EU Commission - but remember, it is each EU government, mine and yours (if you are from an EU state) who engineered it that way so as to keep their own sovereign rights and be able to directly appoint commissioners.

No wars between EU countries in 60 years - that is a first in over a 1,000 years! Fantastic trade leverage providing great wealth generation. Yes, there is very uneven economic growth but this is because individual states have kept to themselves certain powers over the running of their own economies.

And there is an alternative that our British chums are about to experience. Good luck with that experiment - when you see just about every British person who can acquiring an Irish passport (including recently the former British Ambassador to Ireland!), you have to wonder whether they know something that you as a Brexiteer don't know.

9 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

Orban knows that he can make a lot of noise if he wants but that the EU countries that are in good economic shape and a main source of funds (located mainly in Western Europe) would be quite happy to shed the burden of having to carry some of those Eastern European states, some of whose governments are an embarrassment to the EU.

It is also noticeable that the EU managed to get all 26 EU states to agree the Brexit strategy in advance without a single hint of a leak to the press. Now that is quite an achievement for those who like to take a swipe at the EU.

I an unabashedly a pro-EU even though I am not in favour of the democratic deficit with respect to the EU Commission - but remember, it is each EU government, mine and yours (if you are from an EU state) who engineered it that way so as to keep their own sovereign rights and be able to directly appoint commissioners.

No wars between EU countries in 60 years - that is a first in over a 1,000 years! Fantastic trade leverage providing great wealth generation. Yes, there is very uneven economic growth but this is because individual states have kept to themselves certain powers over the running of their own economies.

And there is an alternative that our British chums are about to experience. Good luck with that experiment - when you see just about every British person who can acquiring an Irish passport (including recently the former British Ambassador to Ireland!), you have to wonder whether they know something that you as a Brexiteer don't know.

I agree with most of what you wrote  except this:

"Yes, there is very uneven economic growth but this is because individual states have kept to themselves certain powers over the running of their own economies."

The Euro has taken away certain powers from individual states and has been the cause of prolonged and needless suffering. Monetary union without fiscal union makes is a recipe for economic inequality.

7 hours ago, humqdpf said:

How right you are! And may I add that our great hope is a Untied States of Europe. All of us, whilst keeping and adhering to our cultures will be part of a great state with a great economy and political power. Even the "Brexiters" my wish to rejoin...

4 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

How right you are! And may I add that our great hope is a Untied States of Europe. All of us, whilst keeping and adhering to our cultures will be part of a great state with a great economy and political power. Even the "Brexiters" my wish to rejoin...

Don't worry friend, they'll come back.

It will simply take them a little more time than others to understand and appreciate the enormous benefits we derive from this union. Peace first as you say but also the happiness of exchanging with people a little different, market ensured for any quality production, a tangible counterweight to the behemoths that surround us, etc ...

Surely, I think Brits are victims of their glorious past. They dream of the great colonial empire reconstituted at the request of the subjugated indigenous peoples. The awakening will be rude and promises serious questioning.

At that time,and only there, It will be time to slowly reopen the door.