Buying a car on a Tourist Visa

AlfUK

I had intended to retire in Thailand but there seems so many problems with visas etc. I now intend to stay in the UK and visit Thailand on a Tourist Visa on a regular basis.  I think I would most likely blow my top at immigration every time I had to do the 90 day report.   What a load of b__sht.  How do all you guys put up with it?  However, my question is, can I buy and insure a car to use on holiday on a Tourist Visa?    Thanks

You can buy car on tourist visa.

But you need certificate of residence. To get this certificate you need House-book. Either from your own apartment or of owner of apartment that you are renting. Or house where you are staying. If you're staying in hotels you won't get it.

And every 3 months visit office for 3 minutes and tell them your current adress is "too much bullshit"? Why? 

44 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

But you need certificate of residence. To get this certificate you need House-book. Either from your own apartment or of owner of apartment that you are renting. Or house where you are staying. If you're staying in hotels you won't get it.

And every 3 months visit office for 3 minutes and tell them your current adress is "too much bullshit"? Why? 

Thank you for the info.  Having to remember to visit the immigration every 90 days and driving perhaps 2 hours to get there seems BS to me.  I would be staying in a hotel so no chance of buying a car. 

1 hour ago, howard ashoul said:

You do NOT need a house book for a certificate of residence ! A 90 day report will suffice, as would a work permit as would a driving licence..............need I go on?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

You do NOT need a house book for a certificate of residence ! A 90 day report will suffice, as would a work permit as would a driving licence..............need I go on?

How are you going to get 90 day report on tourist visa?

How do you get work permint on tourist visa?

.........need I go on?

2 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Correct, also with a tourist visa or even visa exempt entry one can get a certificate of residence.

• Like 1

So much mis-informationon here, you don't need a house book, residence visa etc to get a residence certificate. I got one a few months ago at Jomtien on a 30 day Visa exempt entry.  I have previously got them on tourist visas for buying motor bikes. 

"You can get a certificate of residence if staying in a hotel. Approach the front desk and ask for a letter stating you are living there for x period of time."

I actually took the receipts for the last 12 months to IO with me and it was no problem but the letter is a good idea if the hotel will do it. 

• Like 1

You can also use an agency to do the 90 days reporting for you! You wouldn't have to bother with going to immigration yourself. And by the way if you are coming on a tourist visa and intend to stay more than 60 consecutive days, you would have to go to immigration in person to get a 30 days extension. And that would take you more than the 5 minutes of the 90 days report...

op,  90 days reporting is in the rules, that's how people put up with it, 3 times a year @ 1 hour, and one renew of extension @ 3 hours, if that's hard to do whilst retired i feel sorry for you, couple all visits with shopping or a different restaurant, what else you gonna be doing anyway.

• Like 2

It's no problem to buy a car on a tourist visa. I come and go a lot on tourist visas. I rent a cheap place 3000 per month so I have somewhere to keep my car and can get the residence certificate from the lady owner.

Also, if you are from the UK bring your UK license and you will be allowed to obtain a Thai license based on that without sitting a test. 

I got mine last month. Just had to watch a 1 hour training video (all in Thai) and do a traffic light test to show I wast colour blind.

It's worth it as the police are getting strict and so are the insurance companies.

19 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Usually the ninety day reporting takes less than 5 mins !

No problem at all.

Reconsider and have fun....

Really, we don't all live in the same town or city where the immigration office is, less than five mins?? The last time I reported in person for my 90 day retirement ext. The first thing I was asked was where my wife worked, I don't even need to have a wife. Then I was accused of having a 25 day overstay. I said I did not, I just stared at him controlling my temper, the officer then went and seen someone, returned 3 mins later, stamped my passport, and said "you come back in 90 days". I still wonder what that was all about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Really, we don't all live in the same town or city where the immigration office is, less than five mins?? The last time I reported in person for my 90 day retirement ext. The first thing I was asked was where my wife worked, I don't even need to have a wife. Then I was accused of having a 25 day overstay. I said I did not, I just stared at him controlling my temper, the officer then went and seen someone, returned 3 mins later, stamped my passport, and said "you come back in 90 days". I still wonder what that was all about.

A miriad of ways to do a 90 day report dont have to go to immigration. 

16 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

How are you going to get 90 day report on tourist visa?

How do you get work permint on tourist visa?

.........need I go on?

If I had an initial 60 day entry and then extended by 60 days to visit wife or children, then I would be in the country for over 90 days and then liable for a 90 day report.

8 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

If I had an initial 60 day entry and then extended by 60 days to visit wife or children, then I would be in the country for over 90 days and then liable for a 90 day report.

As far as I'm aware you can only extend a TV 30 days.

Non Imm O allows a 60 day extension.

The maximum stay in Thailand is 90 days without reporting or exit/entry.

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Is that to visit wife? I hope so as it will answer a question i was about to ask

Mine was to visit my child, but equally available to visit your wife - she must accompany you to immigration 

• Like 1

Just now, muzmurray said:

Mine was to visit my child, but equally available to visit your wife - she must accompany you to immigration 

Thank you will pass it on to mate concerned many thanks

Back on topic.

OP you only need a 'Certificate of Residence' to purchase a car.

Proof of your address will be required to obtain the certificate.

Certificates of Residence can be obtained from;

Some Immigration offices.

Some Amphurs.

Some Police Stations.

Your Embassy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

A miriad of ways to do a 90 day report dont have to go to immigration. 

Apart from online, "sometimes",  "by post" sometimes, paying an agent, "expensive".

Any more ways?

18 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Someone arriving on a TV would hardly have any of the above.

32 minutes ago, dentonian said:

So you have to visit Immigration regardless.

Yes so whats the hassle 10 mins in and out faster if the photo copy girl will go and see IO for you.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Apart from online, "sometimes",  "by post" sometimes, paying an agent, "expensive".

Any more ways?

Getting a friend to do it for you why sometimes by post? Or just lazy about going to PO. Expensive getting an agent? Admittedly if was about 5 years ago cost me 500bht nothing in the grand scheme of things. You are just fishing now but no one will take the bait. 

11 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Back on topic.

OP you only need a 'Certificate of Residence' to purchase a car.

Proof of your address will be required to obtain the certificate.

Certificates of Residence can be obtained from;

Some Immigration offices.

Some Amphurs.

Some Police Stations.

Your Embassy.

Certificate of residence ought to be fine and easy to get and then the vehicle can be registered in your name. I had no problem at all. However I have heard more than once of individuals being given the run around and told they cannot register the car in their name. I think this must be with second hand cars as any dealer worth his salt should know and be able to register the car in your name.

I am just wondering if the OP intends to return to UK on a regular basis where he would store the car whilst he is away. I know people who leave them in their condo car parks and that seems secure but at one point I think he said he would be staying at a hotel. I suspect the hastle of buying and selling a car on each trip might mean it is not really worth it and he would be better off hiring cars. That is what I did until I settled here permanently.