Thai Criminal Record

Hi there folks wonder if you can help on this one!

My Thai girlfriend, and at the same time my daughters mother, needs a Thai Criminal Record so she can apply for my nationality.

Se spoke to Thai Embassy in the country where we live together and they said that she had to get it in Thailand through the Police.

Any idea where we can get this done and how long it normally takes to process?

Any comments will be welcome.

Tks

Jokinha

We came across the same thing nearly 10 years ago to get a temporary residency in Argentina where we lived at the time. The only police clearance that the thai ministry of foreign affair would recognize and could certify had to come from the police station in Patumwan. Don't ask why, I have no idea. We wasted a lot of time trying to get one from Kanchanaburi police station only to find out that it was worthless. Things might have changed but the ministry of foreign affair should be able to point you in the right direction.

Maybe talking to your embassy in Bangkok will help as they might be familiar with the process, assuming they are helpfull....

Hope that helps

Ahhhh, empanadas Argentinas, sopa Paraguaya. Los extraño mucho.

The consulates around Asia are now requiring checks for all falangs who apply for teacher related Non Bs. And it can only be done at Patumwan. Beats the hel_l outta me why any police station is not good enough. Unless they are worried about corruption locally. No! Not in Thailand.

Suerte!

:o :huh:Need a Thai Criminal Record so she can apply for your nationality????????

Hi there folks wonder if you can help on this one!

My Thai girlfriend, and at the same time my daughters mother, needs a Thai Criminal Record so she can apply for my nationality.

Se spoke to Thai Embassy in the country where we live together and they said that she had to get it in Thailand through the Police.

Any idea where we can get this done and how long it normally takes to process?

Any comments will be welcome.

Tks

Jokinha

The consulates around Asia are now requiring checks for all falangs who apply for teacher related Non Bs. And it can only be done at Patumwan. Beats the hel_l outta me why any police station is not good enough. Unless they are worried about corruption locally. No! Not in Thailand.

Suerte!

Because it is the Police Special Branch. They check the fingerprints.

Hi again!

Sharing information I got.

Just managed to find out that Patumwam is defenetely the only place where we can get that criminal Thai record.

Girl friend spoke to police Station over the phone but nobody they confirmed they would do it but nobody seemed to know how long it will take to process...anyway very difficult to get if you are living abroad for not so easy to do it for fingerprints are needed...They told us that eventually we could mail them three(!!??) sets of fingerprints & three pictures & they would do it but anyway my girl friend would have to collect it from the Police station...so better to go there & do it basically.

Thanking you all for the clues.

Wishing you all a Merry X-mas from Portugal...

Suerte!

Can this be confirmed ? Does this only apply to teachers seeking Non-b visas ?

Here is the process, we did it afew weeks ago.

Get together her ID card, passport (if applying for foriegn nationality) and marriage paper if you have it. Take copies to submit with application.

Go to the Police HQ Special Branch, located near the Siam BTS.

Tell the guards at the gate you want the police clearence cert.

They will give you ID tags and keep her ID card.

Go to the building inside the compound (i think building #24)

Go inside and go up to the info desk.

The lady a tthe desk will send you to a private desk to fill out some forms.

You will have her fingerprints taken 2 times at least.

Then she will go to a room and get a photo taken and give everything to the officer.

She will get a reciept and have to go back in 2 weeks to pick it up.

The cost is free and you will only need to spend about 1 hour there to complete everything.

The form has a photo and her details.

The form also states what it can be used for (ie: it would say "for the ____ embassy only"

Have fun and be warned, some of the people there dont know the rules for other countries, they refused to give my wife one because she hadnt changed her surname yet and they insisted that my embassy would not accept it, but this is bull shit. So it wont matter weather you have different names or not. Just dont let them tell you to go away because you are wasting your time, insist that you want the checks done immediatly. They like to play games and pretend they know the rules and procedurec for police checks that will be used for foriegn embassies and they dont, so typical here in LOS.........

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Just managed to find out that Patumwam is defenetely the only place where we can get that criminal Thai record.

This is a wrong information. :o You can get a criminal record anywhere. Just try stealing in any supermarket or drive at the wrong side of the road in Banh Lek Phu Khao, nooooooo problem.

If she is going to Australia a criminal record is no longer a requirement. :D

correct !

"The transportation of convicts to Australia was phased out between 1840 and 1868."

source: Wikipedia.

LaoPo :o

correct !

"The transportation of convicts to Australia was phased out between 1840 and 1868."

Yep thats why we have now got:

the Italian Mafia

the Russian Mafia

the Vietnamese Tiger Boys

the Coffin Cheaters

to name just a few, and we complain about Thai Immigration Laws???

correct !

the Italian Mafia

the Russian Mafia

the Coffin Cheaters

Where are your great-grand-parents from <abuse removed>? just curious........ :D

LaoPo

Hi again.

Many tks for your reply "aussiestyle1983"; we are flying out to BKK in late January and will basically follow your "steps" and see how it goes...regarding my girlfriend there is no name change so far or marital status change, so I wreckon it will be an easier procedure than yours ( so I hope!!).

Just a bit worried about the "friendliness" at my countries´embassy in BKK....we are applying to her "new nationality" based on a new Law that came out on Dec 15th...hope they read the new regulations already...

Anyway many tks once again to u all.

Rgs

Another detail that might be useful. When we applied for "blank police record" as I cannot think of another name at the moment, we needed it quick, like tomorrow. the very helpful police officer told us it was no problem and the speed up procedure was going to cost 5000 baht with obviously no receipt. We got back the next day, the papers were ready and handed over to us just when a bunch of people entered the office and caused a bit of confusion. We simply drifted toward the door as our helpful officer was swamped with requests.....

israeli embassy in bangkok refused our police record thing from my husband's amphur/changwat;

had to redo the whole thing (after 'paying' lots of baht to the amphur's police station to do it fast. we didnt even give it to the embassy, but was told to go to the pathumwan station);

the embassy required anyway that we do it at the police clearance service center special branch pathumwan... they ahve a little brochure when u walk on your right near the chairs lined up. in after getting your tag etc (u need your id with u so tell them u came to do the police record so they dont keep the id-- we gave them the passport instead; they do this a million times a day there)

if male, need army release/or service paper also...also tabien baan, plus name change certificates if u need/have, marriage cert/divorce cert. if have/need

u dont need a letter from the embassy but if u have one, ok. (for the thai applicant, not u)

they give u the form with a stamp pressed in , already in english.

im reading directly from their brochure i brought back with me to israel in case someone here questions where i got my husband's certificate from etc...

:hours:

8:30 - 16:30 no lunch break (but go early) monday thru friday

they have a web site, email, fax etc...

it actually went really fast, and DONT FORGET YOUR RECEIPT WITH YOUR FILE NUMBER ON IT WHEN U COME BACK TO COLLECT THE CERT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON THE DAY THEY TOLD YOU. NO LATER, NO EARLIER. FORWARNED IS PREPARED!!!

we did forget the receipt, AND we came one day later than were told (transportation problems), and had to find the woman who dealt with us and remembered us (farang woman,thai man, who could forget?) who helped us. but for a few moments there, since we were seriously pressured for time, my heart skipped a few beats.....

they say 7 day wait, but its AT LEAST TWO WEEKS so if its 7 days be pleasantly surprised. if not, than leave some leeway.

oh!, on the phone they were a little less helpful when we called first to see if ours was ready....

bina and anon

Edited by bina

correct !

the Italian Mafia

the Russian Mafia

the Coffin Cheaters

Where are your great-grand-parents from <abuse removed>? just curious........ :D

LaoPo

Oxymoron:

I apologize if your 'shortened' name (by me) was misunderstood. I just shortened your member-name without any intention to abuse you.

I hope you will understand that.

LaoPo :D

So, maybe it's true that the embassies are requiring police checks from the Thai police? All embassies and consulates? For all visas? For all occupations? Surely not, Shirley....

Bina's helpful post mentions "if male, need army release/or service paper also..." - surely that doesn't apply to all criminal record checks, does it?

I was trying not to be alarmist (doesn't affect me, probably), but this could be alarming news for some people.

So, maybe it's true that the embassies are requiring police checks from the Thai police? All embassies and consulates? For all visas? For all occupations? Surely not, Shirley....

Bina's helpful post mentions "if male, need army release/or service paper also..." - surely that doesn't apply to all criminal record checks, does it?

I was trying not to be alarmist (doesn't affect me, probably), but this could be alarming news for some people.

We seems to have to items here. One is the long standard police check of Thai citizens when making application of immigrant visas. Nothing new - it has always been one police source for this report. The requirements are for Thai citizens.

The second item is new and that appears (from the limited number of reports so far) to be a police check of foreigners intending to be teachers in Thailand (which seems understandable after recent publicity). That seems to be handled by the same police office; as one would expect, as they are the fingerprinting experts.

I really don't see anything alarmist about it for anyone people would want teaching there children - for the few others hopefully the door is closing and will help remove the 'suspicions' from the profession.

sorry, my post was indeed for thai men going overseas but i have the requirements for 'aliens' working/residing in thailand; its in the same brochure in english and in thai... forgot whats written but if u go the police web site i mentioned, i think its there....

anybody coming to israel HAS to bring a criminal record form including various and sundry papers, why shouldnt thailand?

at least the thai police station gives it already in english; a small but significant savings in translation...

• 2 weeks later...

Suerte!

Can this be confirmed ? Does this only apply to teachers seeking Non-b visas ?

All teachers need to obtain a police clearance to get a visa outside Thailand.

All teachers need to obtain a police clearance to get a visa outside Thailand.

Yes, but that is a clearance from Thailand, where they work.

The OP and other posts about Israel are for Thai people wishing to emmigrate,

quite a different kettle of fish.

more comments:

yes we are doing the police record from thailand for a different country;

pay attention: my country requires the police record to get an MFA stamp/notarized in addition.... wonder if thailand will requre the same in reverse (foreign police clearance notarized and MFA stamped)?

The requirement for those not in Thailand or never worked/lived here is local police clearance as per UK web site (it is not presented in Thailand but at the Embassy during application for visa)

Criminal record clearance certificate in the United Kingdom or Ireland (issued by the national police department)

For those who have/are either living or working in Thailand the clearance is done by Thai police.

The requirement for those not in Thailand or never worked/lived here is local police clearance as per UK web site (it is not presented in Thailand but at the Embassy during application for visa)
Criminal record clearance certificate in the United Kingdom or Ireland (issued by the national police department)

For those who have/are either living or working in Thailand the clearance is done by Thai police.

Agreed Lop. :o

Hi again.

Many tks for your reply "aussiestyle1983"; we are flying out to BKK in late January and will basically follow your "steps" and see how it goes...regarding my girlfriend there is no name change so far or marital status change, so I wreckon it will be an easier procedure than yours ( so I hope!!).

Just a bit worried about the "friendliness" at my countries´embassy in BKK....we are applying to her "new nationality" based on a new Law that came out on Dec 15th...hope they read the new regulations already...

Anyway many tks once again to u all.

Rgs

No problems.

PM me if you need any more info, but the whole procedure is pretty straight forward once you get your doccuments together and get to the police HQ. A guard there will tell you what you need to do upon arrival.

Also keep in mind the other posters post about paying 5000 THB for the next day service, this could be usefull if you are in a hurry.