Tourist visa after student visa from Phnom penh

Hello everybody!

I have been on a one year student visa ending on the 9th of may and  i wanted to know if i could get a tourist visa 2months + 1 in Phnom Penh?

Also i know that at the PP embassy they require a ticket in and out of thailand does anyone know where i can book a return ticket without having to pay for it (not being charged and being able to cancel with no fees)

Thanks a lot for your help!

All the best.

Matthieu 

I only had to present a bank-statement - not a flight-ticket.  Recommended by my agent was over $1000 USD though, in theory, 20K Baht is technically enough.  Things may have changed in the past 6 months, though - so best to check with the agent you plan to use in Phnom Penh (I use Lucky Lucky Moto).

As to that Student-Visa - is this for a "language school" or "real university"?  You said "1 year" - which would imply it was not a language-school - though you may have repeatedly extended a language-school ED Visa to its limit of 1 year.  ED visas for language schools are treated almost as a confession of being an "illegal worker" by many involved in the Immigration process.  I have no idea if the consul at Phnom Penh would see it that way or hold it against you, but I recall a person applying for a TR in Vientiane reporting that reaction. 

In any case, the presence of an ED visa in a passport often accompanies rough-experiences upon attempted-entry to Thailand.  To mitigate this, be sure to have 20,000 Baht worth of cash or travelers checks when you enter the country (bank-statements and plastic won't help).  I would also get a new passport at your earliest convenience, to remove that sticker from sight, if you intend to enter Thailand frequently in the future.

Edited by JackThompson

On 5/5/2017 at 4:36 PM, JackThompson said:

I only had to present a bank-statement - not a flight-ticket.  Recommended by my agent was over $1000 USD though, in theory, 20K Baht is technically enough.  Things may have changed in the past 6 months, though - so best to check with the agent you plan to use in Phnom Penh (I use Lucky Lucky Moto).

As to that Student-Visa - is this for a "language school" or "real university"?  You said "1 year" - which would imply it was not a language-school - though you may have repeatedly extended a language-school ED Visa to its limit of 1 year.  ED visas for language schools are treated almost as a confession of being an "illegal worker" by many involved in the Immigration process.  I have no idea if the consul at Phnom Penh would see it that way or hold it against you, but I recall a person applying for a TR in Vientiane reporting that reaction. 

In any case, the presence of an ED visa in a passport often accompanies rough-experiences upon attempted-entry to Thailand.  To mitigate this, be sure to have 20,000 Baht worth of cash or travelers checks when you enter the country (bank-statements and plastic won't help).  I would also get a new passport at your earliest convenience, to remove that sticker from sight, if you intend to enter Thailand frequently in the future.

I have an ED visa in my passport from about 3 years ago and have never had any problems entering Thailand since then, obtaining visas in Vientiane, or extending visas at immigration in Thailand. To say that such visas are treated as an admission of being an illegal worker by many in immigration is clearly not true as far as my experience is concerned. On what are you basing that statement? If it's hearsay or your personal opinion then perhaps it's best not to spread unsubstantiated rumours on here. You also say the presence of an ED visa in one's passport 'often accompanies rough experiences upon attempted-entry to Thailand': do you have any proof or is this more conjecture on your part?