I will never ever use an ATM unless it is attached to a bank, and the bank is open for business.

About two years ago, an ATM ate my card. Went straight inside the bank and explained my problem to one of the staff. She had the ATM open in 30 seconds flat, card returned to me.

On 06/05/2017 at 7:10 PM, ClareQuilty said:

Not sure how it would help, other than offer hackers yet another way to steal my money. 

Apparently the necessary thing is, whenever on holiday, to carry one's passbook or at least account number around the whole time.

With Krungthai Bank online banking you can temporary switch off ATM function off your credit card and have online assistance. It's also useful if your girl friend have card on your account 555

5 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Happened to me once just go to bank and explain what happened I then was issued a new card did tell them the location of the card eating ATM did not have any problems I now just keep small amount in that account and have others with no card TIT

when you go to the bank be sure to have the bank book and your ID.

On 5/7/2017 at 0:10 AM, ClareQuilty said:

Not sure how it would help, other than offer hackers yet another way to steal my money. 

Apparently the necessary thing is, whenever on holiday, to carry one's passbook or at least account number around the whole time.

I maintain a spreadsheet with all my account nos, passwords, contact nos., etc on my PC at home.  When I get ready to travel I make a "travel version" distillation of it and tfr a copy to my phone (maybe make a printout as well, but obviously you'd want to be careful with that)..  For a thai bank acct, I wouldn't carry the passbook (or even the ATM card for that matter) around with me all the time - only when I need it.

I only use ATMs at one of my bank's branch offices.  If one ate my card, I'd show up there at the very 1st opp'ty with passbook and passport to get it back.  It's Thailand, so no guarantees: the worst that can happen is they cancel the old card and issue you a new one (for which, yes, you'll probably have to pay a fee).

The cash which was never dispensed is another matter.  So the machine ate your card AND failed to dispense the cash as well?!  'One screwed up ATM!  'Don't see that you have any choice but to work with your bank on that, and wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it easy.  I wouldn't be surprised either  if they asked for a police report.

Edited by hawker9000

Be careful about tight card acceptor. There could be a thin scanner installed right on the gap to record cars data by criminals. If it feels too tight just don't enter the passcode and try to get your card back.

Happened twice to me at Bangkok Bank but it's more likely I forgot to take the card. The first time I went to their headquarters (I live near there) with passport and bank book , told them where I lost card and 10 minutes later they came out with my old card. This happened again last year but lady in charge spoke little English and didn't want to be bothered so she sent me to get new card (no charge).

Finally got a result after loads of trouble and expense. I got an SMS showing GSB replaced the 5,000 I'd withdrawn, and it also showed the correct balance, so I felt more relaxed.

After returning to my home after a couple of days, today I visited my originating bank and got a new card. 699 baht :'(

23 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Happened twice to me at Bangkok Bank but it's more likely I forgot to take the card. The first time I went to their headquarters (I live near there) with passport and bank book , told them where I lost card and 10 minutes later they came out with my old card. This happened again last year but lady in charge spoke little English and didn't want to be bothered so she sent me to get new card (no charge).

That's the hoped-for outcome.  Just make SURE they do cancel the old card.  (One assumes their system makes it impossible to issue a new one with a new number without cancelling the old one and the old number, but I'd ask anyway.)

And I agree with #39.  700B sounds like you got "upgraded". I would expect a new card fee of not more than 200B or so.

Edited by hawker9000