What Radio Station,,

ezzra

What is it with English Radio in Thailand? must be not profitable or something as they keep

coming up and dying after a while,

I my self use to listen to 105.5 through all it's trials and tribulations and than they have gone,

Now 107. started good with lots of mixed Oldies all the way to the 80' now back to the usual

same stuff any one else is playing, Hip Hop, heavy Rock, and samo' samo' over and over again,

EZZRA,

That is an interesting question and one that is close to my heart.

There are a number of factors concerning English Radio stations in Bangkok and or Thailand for that matter.

As an experienced radio broadcaster here in Thailand I have some first hand knowledge in this area.

The following list will give you some idea of market conditions and may shed some light on the subject.

1-Uncertain regulatory environment. For several years attempts to set of a proper oversight agency (Broadcast Commission) failed to be realized.

2-Ownership of broadcast frequencies. Army, police, private sector, government agencies and others are

holders of frequencies. These owners use or lease there frequencies to others.

3-English language radio stations require special licensing consideration from relevant authorities. (relevant authorities) is the operative wording here.

4- Prior to the Coup, the PRD pulled back several frequencies it owned with the expressed intent of forming

the previous administrations desire to establish "BBC" styled news and information network. One of those frequencies was the Virgins 105 FM. 107 FM fell into a deal struck with various record labels which seem to be programing the station with there current 'on sale now" offerings.

These few points of information may help to explain why there are no English Radio stations in Bangkok.

New info technology may continue to change the situation. Personally I like to listen to news, sport and chat rather than music on the radio so I often listed to BBC Radio Five over the internet. There's loads of radio channels you can get on the web now. Oh - if there is an English language channel in BKK that is good for news, sport and chat do let me know how I find it.

cheers

Lucky

Late at night when I'm winding down I like to listen to trad thai music on the radio.

Seemed hard to find sometimes.

Any recomendations?

I swear that one nite I found a station that played USA style country western music sung in Thai. It even had the occasional Yee Haw! tossed in.

It was great!

Does anybody know what happened to the English speaking DJ's that were on FM107 before it changed? I particularly liked the english guy in the morning whose name escapes just now, and the the afternoon yank Doc something?

I think you're referring to Russel Jay. He's still doing voice-overs on UBC but as far as I know that's all.

Julie Kaufman who used to deejay on Metropolis is now on Bangkok's Breeze FM. She has the afternoon slot (15.00-19.00) each weekday.

Lee Evans who also used to be on Metropolis a long while back joins Breeze FM this Sunday (19.30-21.00).

I'm not sure about Doc Casey who used to have the 16.00-20.00 slot on Metropolis.

Richard Green as far as I know has returned to the UK.

Kevin Wood who used to have the 13.00-16.00 slot is still working in the entertainment business in Bangkok; again as far as I know.

Howard Miller who used to have Saturday and Sunday slots on Metropolis is still operating his media ventures in Pattaya (Pattaya City News etc)

No info. about Vangi (spelling) Jackie Russel (spelling) or Paul Lucas.

What happened to DJ's Ricky Voughan (sp?) and Paul Jackson (formerly Virgin Smooth)?

Paul Jackson was the MC at last year's Phloenchit Fair where he also had a trade stand selling imported comedy DVDs etc. And I think he still has his shop at Mahboonkrong selling the same. I remember listening to him on 95.5 FM or 105 way back; can't remeber which one it was. Does anyone know if he's still on 105 which only broadcasts on FM and is not available on the net.

And Ricky Vaughn...wasn't he listed as one of the new people coming to Radio Bangkok a while back - I saw his name before the layout changed and then nothing. Anyone have info. Remember (but not too much) meeting him at a radio bash about ten years ago in the Huntsman pub and goin' onto Nana for a few beers. Was wearing dungarees with braces - strange!

Does anyone also have info. about Paul Lucas and David Ford who used to be on Metropolis?

And what happened to Suzanne who used to do that sixties show (13.00-16.00) each Sunday on Metropolis?

Does anybody know what happened to the English speaking DJ's that were on FM107 before it changed? I particularly liked the english guy in the morning whose name escapes just now, and the the afternoon yank Doc something?

I think you're referring to Russel Jay. He's still doing voice-overs on UBC but as far as I know that's all.

Julie Kaufman who used to deejay on Metropolis is now on Bangkok's Breeze FM. She has the afternoon slot (15.00-19.00) each weekday.

Lee Evans who also used to be on Metropolis a long while back joins Breeze FM this Sunday (19.30-21.00).

I'm not sure about Doc Casey who used to have the 16.00-20.00 slot on Metropolis.

Kevin Wood who used to have the 13.00-16.00 slot is still working in the entertainment business in Bangkok; again as far as I know.

Howard Miller who used to have Saturday and Sunday slots on Metropolis is still operating his media ventures in Pattaya (Pattaya City News etc)

That's great info, cheers. Lee Evans - used to like his show also. You wouldn't have the FM number for Breeze would you?

That's great info, cheers. Lee Evans - used to like his show also. You wouldn't have the FM number for Breeze would you?

Bredbury Blue - Breeze broadcasts on 98.5 FM and the internet.

Forgot about 'Foundy' - David Found - who appears to have been Metropolis's 'stand-in' man - to a lesser or greater degree - a good broadcaster. I understand he still has his photographic - stills - commercial - promotional - advertising business.

Hey! What about the 'illustrious' Jennifer Su. Does anyone remember her? (Not a Metropolis stable-mate - but FMX 95.5 before moving onto Hong Kong and then back to BKk and Channel 11's Newsnight.)

The format on Metropolis 107 was just fine. 107 now sounds like they're targeting the huge non-existent black community of Bangkok. :o

I listen to Luktung and Morlam only on the radio nowadays or radio talkshows I download from the states.

:D:D I dig what you're saying, Tony.

Hey, wait a moment, have you been down the river end of Silom recently? That must be where they're targeting.

The Beeb's 6Music is unparallelled though a couple of the DJ's talk too much. Occasionally I hit myself with some Radio 4 to give myself a culture shock headrush.

• 9 months later...

If you are interested in music that is not the run of the mill radia stuff check out BBC 6 music on the web. It is brilliant.

Craig Charles (yes the crack smoking bloke from Corrie and Red Dwarf) does a wicked Soul and Funk show on Saturdays 6-9GMT

Mark Riley from The Fall and Tom Robinson are both really good for new music plus archive stuff. If you like wierd then sunday afternoon Freak Zone is worth checking out. You can listen to all of them at any time by going to their website

I listen to the radio in the car and 107 is terrible with all hip-hop and rap and even play curse words, 102.5 is a bit better, 88 with Ritchie Walker is a good morning drive, he was in a band before which I think toured with Hendrix, and the girl in the pm, "afternoon delight" is just that, on 99.5 is a thai guy, he plays the best ever on the weekends, just a wide mix, some live tracks I never knew existed

If you are interested in music that is not the run of the mill radia stuff check out BBC 6 music on the web. It is brilliant.

Craig Charles (yes the crack smoking bloke from Corrie and Red Dwarf) does a wicked Soul and Funk show on Saturdays 6-9GMT

Mark Riley from The Fall and Tom Robinson are both really good for new music plus archive stuff. If you like wierd then sunday afternoon Freak Zone is worth checking out. You can listen to all of them at any time by going to their website

I agree with you 100%. Currently listening to last nights Gideon Coe show. The website has a track listing as well. Here's what I've got to look forward to for the next 3 hours -

David Bowie - John I'm Only Dancing (22:01)

Victorian English Gentlemens Club - My Son Spells Backwards - Hub Session 17/01/2007 (22:06)

Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - The Only Living Boy In New Cross (22:09)

Lupen Crook And The Murderbirds - The Hardest Way Home (22:13)

King Creosote - Home In A Sentence (22:15)

Mogwai - Hunted By A Freak - Glastonbury 2003 (22:19)

Css - Alala (22:23)

Madness - Grey Day - Dominion Theatre 1983 (22:27)

Madness - Bed And Breakfast Man - Dominion Theatre 1983 (22:32)

Madness - My Girl - Dominion Theatre 1983 (22:34)

Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra - Single (22:38)

Teenage Fanclub - What You Do To Me (22:45)

Who - Happy Jack (22:48)

Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (22:51)

The Broken Hearts - Blanco (22:55)

Billy Bragg - Must I Paint You A Picture? (22:59)

Quando Quango - Love Tempo - BBC Session 23/11/1983 (23:05)

Kings Of Leon - Charmer (23:12)

Teardrop Explodes - Culture Bunker - Guildford Civic Hall 1981 (23:19)

Teardrop Explodes - Poppies In A Field - Guildford Civic Hall 1981 (23:27)

Teardrop Explodes - When I Dream - Guildford Civic Hall 1981 (23:32)

We Are Scientists - Nobody Move Nobody Get Hurt (23:36)

Heart Throbs - Stunned (23:42)

Sia - Breathe Me - Summer Sundae 2004 (23:45)

Victorian English Gentlemens Club - Ban The Gin - Hub Session 17/01/2007 (23:52)

Go! Team - Wrath Of Marcie (23:55)

Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) (23:58)

Teenage Fanclub - Sparky's Dream (00:03)

Super Furry Animals - Run-Away (00:07)

Clare And The Reasons - Pluto (00:10)

Third World - Now That We've Found Love 1982 (00:14)

Third World - Try Jah Love 1982 (00:22)

Third World - Dancing On The Floor 1982 (00:29)

Nephu Huzzband - Papers (00:38)

Source / Candi Staton - You Got The Love (00:40)

Glasvegas - Daddy's Gone (00:45)

Alfie - Cryin' At Tea Time- Hub Session 29/07/2005 (00:50)

Quando Quango - Go Exciting - BBC Session 23/11/1983 (00:54)

i listen to al the UK ones streamed through my phone saved my head that did as for the 1st month i didnt have a TV in my new pad..if anybody else has a windows mobile phone then PM me and ill send you the litlle files you put in your libary so it access''s it...all the BBC one's, talksport and all the local radio channels like capital...

Have given up on Thai radio stations. I listen to Groove Salad on Shoutcast over the internet when in a relaxed mood. KCRW Which is broadcast over the net, National Public Radio in Santa Monica, for "All things Considered", "Morning Edition", "Mornings become eclectic". When driving I listen to the cheap cds I bought in Myanmar. There is one station we get in Chiang Mai that is worth listening to but if you get about two blocks away from the tower the signal degrades.

Edited by swain