Suvarnabhumi Airport

Acquiesce

last week i used the new airport for the firrst time, i found it to be very satisfactory. great facillities, very friendly staff and extremely smoker friendly (great for me).

I had no complaints what-so-ever about the new airport or any part of the service provided. After reading the threads in this forum it seems that it is just a place to pick faults with or bash the new airport. I write this thread in hope of more possitive views of Suvaranabhumi airport.

Please keep it possitive on this thread.

Thanks. :o

i guess you enjoyed paying a loooot of money for the great food they offer after passing immigration.... I for one, recently had my first experience there. Sure gonna bring my own food next time.

Anyway, good for you you can see the positive things there... I hope I can too, one day.

Hows this for "positive"?

The last time I entered, the immigration line was so slow that it took me well over an hour to get my passport stamped! They were about to confisicate my checked luggage by the time I got to it.

I used to complain about slow immigration lines at DM, but that took the cake.

Also, when flying out, the long walks with almost NO SIGNS ABOUT GATES through endless KING POWER stores all seemingly selling the same overpriced stuff on the way to some of the most overpriced airport food in the world.

I think the new airport is a disgrace. (Sorry.)

They should rename is Gateway to Ripoffsville

Edited by Jingthing

last night I was flying out of Bangkok to London with Lufthansa - check in time for some passengers was some 10 minutes (they put trainees for the work), still there weren't long ques.

travel by the airbus from the Khaosan Rd took only 50 minutes (departing 9.10 pm)- I was the only passenger but still 2 bus controllers had to stop and board the bus close to the airport (after re-routing it from the expressway) and check all the drivers paperwork.

a lot of (at least 20) security kids seating needlessly by the gates around the x-ray machines doing precisely nothing.

last week i used the new airport for the firrst time, i found it to be very satisfactory. great facillities, very friendly staff and extremely smoker friendly (great for me).

I had no complaints what-so-ever about the new airport or any part of the service provided. After reading the threads in this forum it seems that it is just a place to pick faults with or bash the new airport. I write this thread in hope of more possitive views of Suvaranabhumi airport.

Thanks. :o

Trust you didn't need to use the toilets or maybe you didn't find them....or maybe they were all occupied ?........

I used the new airport 3 days ago to come to Los Angeles. I was very upset when I went to use the toilet. It was easy to find, well-marked and right next to the cheap food stand on the 3rd level. Anyway, there was no line as was promised by TV posters and to my extreme dismay it was clean and tidy and left me with nothing to complain about. TIT! The was no one in line when I checked in with EVA airlines which was also very annoying. They are doing that just to leave us with nothing to complain about which is irritating as heck to us farangs. Oh yeah, the grout lines up near the cieling above the urinal was crooked!

I used the new airport 3 days ago to come to Los Angeles. I was very upset when I went to use the toilet. It was easy to find, well-marked and right next to the cheap food stand on the 3rd level. Anyway, there was no line as was promised by TV posters and to my extreme dismay it was clean and tidy and left me with nothing to complain about. TIT! The was no one in line when I checked in with EVA airlines which was also very annoying. They are doing that just to leave us with nothing to complain about which is irritating as heck to us farangs. Oh yeah, the grout lines up near the cieling above the urinal was crooked!

Great news they have fixed it all !

:o mdeland,i'm sure this will cause great anoyance to many on this board. :D:D

Gosh, you must have been really bummed out if you happened across a copy of Monday's BKK Post with the front page story regarding a potential partial shutdown of the new airport for repairs. I suppose that and any number of other similar stories in the meda over the past few months are nothing more than negative spin and propaganda, eh? :o

I met the wife last night and the meeting area at gate C was uncluttered by any touts and there was even a sign to the taxis and also another about illegal taxis. I think they have rearranged the meeting area to give more room for those waiting. A definite improvement from 2 months ago.

A word of advice on parking and they are charging now, use parking station 3 if you know they are coming thru gate c, station 2 for A & B. You can get arrival details on the net and also arrange notification emails for change of flight status which really works.

I can see an improvement in 2 months. The toilet situation will take a long time to fix but they seem to be progressing in the right direction.

The article in the Post about possible shutdown is BS and anybody with brains would see that is not an option to be considered seriously. Very poor reporting/ editing in my opinion.

The new airport is positive. I really think that in 3-5 years it will improve. Too much was put on the opening and not the load and a practical traffic plan.

I love Don Muang and hope that they can re-open flights for the smaller airlines and promote General Aviation more.

New airports are tough. I assisted in opening new facilities at Don Muang Terminal 1, 2 and Domestic, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai, Phnom Penh , Hanoi, Danang, others and we always had trouble. Not easy at all.

Hope when I fly out commercial of NBIA - BKK that all the positives are in place.

Happy flying.

Ilyushin

As required, only positive things. I had no problem getting 100k Baht exchanged for Aus. dollars. The first 2 banks I tried didn't have Australian dollars but I got lucky at the third.

I admit that Australia is a country rarely ever visited by anybody so I can understand that they don't stock up on such a strange currency. Nevertheless, I got lucky at only the third bank.

Positive news, isn't it? :o

One's experience at Suvarnabhumi depends largely upon:-

1- If you pass thru at peak passenger traffic times or slack period

2- If you are a Resident of Thailand or not (i.e. and been subjected to all the positive hype and hyperbole in local media for the last two years)

3- Compare Suvarnabhumi with Don Muang and weigh the "improvements" against the multi-billion dollar cost.

4- If you are a tax-payer in Thailand and have actually paid for the massive corruption and design faults involved.

Although I feel very negatively towards Suvarnabhumi, I too will admit it's better than LAX and a lot of other international airports I use. Even with it's faults, I'm still gratefull to be landing there instead of a lot of other places.

I also believe that given time it will improve. Yes indeed it has already improved since opening with more toilets etc. But still there's a long long way yet to go.

Although I know some members here disagree, but I think it's going to be a long time before I feel like Suvarnabhumi is an improvement over Don Muang ..... and much longer (if ever) when I think it justifies the cost. I don't care what it looks like, I just want it to work well and justify the cost. It may eventually work well ... but I have doubts as to whether it will ever justify the cost.

I think it is a great airport (big) that is.

I fly out of BKK about 35 times a year and have been from the new one now about 5 times.

I just do not get disturbed anymore about all the design flaws and stuff.

What can I do about it?

Yep, keep paying my tax and hopefully part of it will be used to make things better.

My luggage is always on the belt and I must say fast.

4 out of 5 times now, luggage already there after I finished immigration procedure (about 15 mins including waiting time on average).

Check in OK as I am Gold member, just only a few days after opening it took long to check in, now it is OK.

Bookstores have a good selection of magazines, books and newspapers. Food court is just Ok with me for a quick snack.

Only thing that annoys me, I cannot connect with the net on WiFi even not in the lounges.

Alex