North Korea detains another American citizen, KCNA reports

webfact

North Korea detains another American citizen, KCNA reports

By Ju-min Park

REUTERS

r6.jpg

FILE PHOTO - A North Korean flag flies on a mast at the Permanent Mission of North Korea in Geneva October 2, 2014. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse/File Photo

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said on Sunday it has detained another U.S. citizen on suspicion of "hostile acts" against the state, which would make him the fourth American to be held by the isolated country amid heightened diplomatic tensions with Washington.

Kim Hak Song, who worked for the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, was detained on Saturday, the North's KCNA news agency said.

"A relevant institution of the DPRK detained American citizen Kim Hak Song on May 6 under a law of the DPRK on suspension of his hostile acts against it," KCNA said. DPRK is short for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, North Korea's official name.

A third U.S. citizen, Kim Sang Dok, who was associated with the same school, was detained in late April for hostile acts, according to the North's official media.

The U.S. State Department said it is aware of the latest reported detention.

"The security of U.S. citizens is one of the department's highest priorities. When a U.S. citizen is reported to be detained in North Korea, we work with the Swedish embassy in Pyongyang," a State Department official said in an emailed statement, declining to provide further details for privacy reasons.

The reported detention comes as tensions on the Korean peninsula run high, driven by harsh rhetoric from Pyongyang and Washington over the North's pursuit of nuclear weapons in response to what it says is a threat of U.S.-instigated war.

The Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST) was founded by evangelical Christians and opened in 2010. Its students are generally children of the country's elite.

The volunteer faculty of PUST, many of whom are evangelical Christians, has a curriculum that includes subjects once considered taboo in North Korea, such as capitalism. The college is an unlikely fit in a country that has been condemned by the United States for cracking down on freedom of religion.

A message by Kim Hak Song dated February 2015 on the website of a Korean-Brazilian church in Sao Paulo said he was a Christian missionary planning to start an experimental farm at PUST and was trying to help the North Korean people learn to become self-sufficient.

No further details were available about the circumstances related to the arrests of the two men associated with the college. A spokesman for PUST was not immediately available for comment.

North Korea, which has been criticized for its human rights record, has in the past used detained Americans to extract high-profile visits from the United States, with which it has no formal diplomatic relations.

The other two Americans already held in North Korea are Otto Warmbier, a 22-year-old student, and Kim Dong Chul, a 62-year-old Korean-American missionary.

Warmbier was detained in January 2016 and sentenced to 15 years hard labour for attempting to steal a propaganda banner.

Two months later, Kim Dong Chul was sentenced to 10 years hard labour for subversion. Neither has appeared in public since being sentenced.

(Additional reporting by Sarah N. Lynch in Washington; Writing by Jack Kim; Editing by Ros Russell and Paul Simao)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-08

An American in N.Korea could probably be put in jail for playing solitaire dominoes.  Unless you're a masochist, stay the f away from there.

I did, however, entertain the idea of going to northern China, to the banks of the Yalu river which divides the two countries.   I could make a large hand-held poster which reads; "ALLOW N.KOREANS PASSAGE TO S.KOREA"    on 2nd thought, it would land me in a Chinese prison, so I opted out of the plan.

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Darn, that's easy to do.  A country detaining a guy and slapping spurious charges.  It gives new meaning to the word 'spitefulness.'

Welcome to guantanamo bay.

Of all the people who were detained there under spurious terrorism legislation less than a  handful have been successfully prosecuted.

He who us without sin etc etc.

Maybe they NK could get the number of one of the usa's many sub contractors and have the detainee tortured on neutral ground

Trump has taken spitefulness to a whole new level since the rednecjs got him voted in

Edited by Fulwell53

The USA is a gnats .............. whisker away from all out war with N Korea and there are still US citizens visiting the place. Truly remarkable how people can have such a poor grasp on their own personal safety. When you are caught as number 1 it's a bit of a bummer but when you are number 4 it's kind of stupid.

I do believe that, in the 19th century, The USA was prepared to got to war over one woman.Her name was 'Pettic-Harris. She was being held by the Risuli/lord of The Riff. I dont remember the actual country(perhaps some one will advise me) President Teddy Roosevelt sent a platoon of marines to ensure her release .

It was made into a film with Sean Connery in the lead role (but he still spoke Arabic with a Scottish accent) It was titled 'The wind and the Lion.The Risuli actually wrote to Roosevelt.

6 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I do believe that, in the 19th century, The USA was prepared to got to war over one woman.Her name was 'Pettic-Harris. She was being held by the Risuli/lord of The Riff. I dont remember the actual country(perhaps some one will advise me) President Teddy Roosevelt sent a platoon of marines to ensure her release .

It was made into a film with Sean Connery in the lead role (but he still spoke Arabic with a Scottish accent) It was titled 'The wind and the Lion.The Risuli actually wrote to Roosevelt.

It was 'Perdicaris'. The movie was indeed about the woman and her two kids but the real incident was actually the kidnapping of a man and his step son. Yes Roosevelt sent an armed contingent to release them, the man being the son of a very wealthy Greek who had become a US citizen. I doubt that anyone will be going to commit themselves to war over these 4 fools, however, having said that all the Orange child needs is an excuse I suppose, and he now has 4 excuses to unleash hell fire.

3 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

It was 'Perdicaris'. The movie was indeed about the woman and her two kids but the real incident was actually the kidnapping of a man and his step son. Yes Roosevelt sent an armed contingent to release them, the man being the son of a very wealthy Greek who had become a US citizen. I doubt that anyone will be going to commit themselves to war over these 4 fools, however, having said that all the Orange child needs is an excuse I suppose, and he now has 4 excuses to unleash hell fire.

Thank you for correcting me. I saw the movie and loved the music. I looked looked up the situation, but that was years ago. It just came to mind, as i was reading the NK post.

Thanks again and may the 'Barraca' be with you.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Quite a difference from the current situation. They can detain our nationals on spurious Lese Majeste charges, starve and abuse them in prison and nary a word from our diplomats. I think Teddy's administration had a  better grasp of how to deal with governments which lack the "freedom gene".

Well, here is an other way to look at things:

Were this guy what he claimed to be doing in NK. ??? was it his purpose to come to NK ??

James Bond never revealed his id, when he arrived to countries and never revealed his missions. He always claimed to be someone else, doing something else and his purposes are completely different than what he claimed.

This is classical games known to all governments.....Well, Not long time ago when USA expelled, i think, 35 diplomats who were working at their embassy in US. Were they carpenters or bartenders.. in US ???

4 hours ago, sanukjim said:

It would have to be an IDIOTIC IDEA for any American,Japanese or Chinese to go there ,and especially at this time.    WHY?

11 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

Were this guy what he claimed to be doing in NK. ??? was it his purpose to come to NK ??

Religion. 

There is an official state religion and of course, adulation and reverence is reserved for the former and current "gods" in charge of NK, not some made up/fake christian god.

These cats, at least the last couple, are christian missionary types.  Soldiers for God, and that's why the language used by N. Korea is so cold war/spy game sounding.  Because they, and their religious ideology, are dangerous and destabilizing to N. Korea's system and also, there is a known link to the christian underground there and christian church in S. Korea (and China), which helps people defect.

The US State Dept's warning list of prohibited activities (Link in post #4^) includes:

• Proselytizing or carrying out religious activities, including activities that may be construed as such, like leaving behind religious materials;

IIRC, that goof ball kid who got himself locked up for the high crime of trying to steal a propaganda banner from his hotel was, apparently, put up to it by the dumb asses in his church back in the States.  Hence, in part, the seemingly disproportionate, harsh sentence.

Interesting article about religious assisted defections.  Of course they'll deny it but right..... accepting help from christian missionaries comes with some strings attached. 

The first time Joseph Kim heard the words “Christian” and “church”, he had no idea what they meant. He had never seen a church and Christianity was as unfamiliar to him in his famine-ravaged North Korea as Disneyland.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/18/christianity-defectors-escape-route-north-korea

Edited by 55Jay

34 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

Well, here is an other way to look at things:

James Bond never revealed his id, when he arrived to countries and never revealed his missions. He always claimed to be someone else, doing something else and his purposes are completely different than what he claimed.

This is classical games known to all governments.....Well, Not long time ago when USA expelled, i think, 35 diplomats who were working at their embassy in US. Were they carpenters or bartenders.. in US ???

Hmm.... you do know that James Bond isn't a real person don't you?

1 hour ago, Chip Allen said:

I think Teddy's administration had a  better grasp of how to deal with governments which lack the "freedom gene".

Ah, but the same countries still lack the 'freedom gene' but back then they were not customers who bought hundreds of billions of dollars worth of military hardware, they were not the 'developed' oil and gas owners that could hold countries to ransom, nor did they have nukes that could potentially be used at the flick of a switch. It just can't happen the way it did in Roosevelt's day - and if it did we would not be told of it.

The world has got bigger and nastier and countries like the US (UK, France , Germany etc) are more concerned with effecting economic agreements than securing the safety of a small number of their citizens. It begs the quote of Donald Trump that he is so fond of using (the only one that is appropriate) - SAD.

Edited by Andaman Al

40 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Hmm.... you do know that James Bond isn't a real person don't you?

I know that fighting 47 men, they all get killed and that jb gets only little dust on his face is not real....all the hottest females fall for him wherever he is is not real either....but the rest is real

Do you think when a government sends people on a mission to spy on other governments, they represent them selves on arrival to that country as they work for their own government and are there on mission to spy on that country's government or do some work against that actual gov.  ???

8 hours ago, sanukjim said:

It would have to be an IDIOTIC IDEA for any American,Japanese or Chinese to go there ,and especially at this time.    WHY?

At least one small group of American doctors went to N.Korea on a goodwill mission:  to perform eye surgeries for free to excise cataracts.  I saw a video of it.  It was interesting, the moment the bandages were taken off the patients, one by one, they looked around, saw the two photos of dictators on the wall (the granddad and father, as this was before fat boy was in the game), and prostrated noisily in from of the photos.  None went and thanked the doctors.

I believe there's a similar group of US doctors there now.  

7 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Welcome to guantanamo bay.   Of all the people who were detained there under spurious terrorism legislation less than a  handful have been successfully prosecuted.  He who us without sin etc etc.

Maybe they NK could get the number of one of the usa's many sub contractors and have the detainee tortured on neutral ground Trump has taken spitefulness to a whole new level since the rednecjs got him voted in

The 4 detainees in N.Korea are a lot different dynamic than Gitmo.  

Incidentally, some of the Gitmo guys who have been set free, have again joined radical Muslim groups - and some have been killed by anti-terrorist forces.   

9 hours ago, sanukjim said:

I thought the guy had been teaching there for several years. Probably because Jesus wanted him to.

5 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Quite a difference from the current situation. They can detain our nationals on spurious Lese Majeste charges, starve and abuse them in prison and nary a word from our diplomats. I think Teddy's administration had a  better grasp of how to deal with governments which lack the "freedom gene".

And i agree. I simply quoted the posted case as an example of when the USA was more Gung Ho. I liked the spirit of Roosevelt as shown in the movie.Our British Ambassador is about as useless ,as a wet fish in matters polotic in this country.

It would appear that our politicians came from upper class twits even in the 19th century. When some of the American ones, probably rode with the James Boys.

7 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Do you think when a government sends people on a mission to spy on other governments, they represent them selves on arrival to that country as they work for their own government and are there on mission to spy on that country's government or do some work against that actual gov.  ???

Ahh!  Now we are talking about Johnny English, another great British spy.  Devilishly cunning chap!