Black wastewater returns to Phuket’s Surin Beach

webfact

Black wastewater returns to Phuket’s Surin Beach

The Phuket News

1494299628_1-org.jpg

Phuket officials were stunned by the news that black wastewater had returned to Surin Beach. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: -- Officials in Cherng Talay are stunned by the return of black wastewater at Phuket’s Surin Beach last week, with one key official reacting in plain disbelief.

Krichanut Suphantakij, Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) at the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), told The Phuket News yesterday (May 8) that the long-awaited wastewater treatment “system” was completed two months ago.

“The project was completed after (former) Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan ordered workers to hurry to get it done,” Mr Krichanut said.

“Our wastewater-treatment facilities for Bang Tao and Surin beaches now receive about 5,000 cubic meters of wastewater (a day) from different areas at each beach,” he said.

“That’s why there has been less black water on Surin Beach over the past two months,” he added.

Mr Krichanut blankly disbelieved that the wastewater had returned to Surin, and offered a disturbing understanding of what wastewater was.

“I don’t think black wastewater has appeared on Surin Beach again. I believe it is just from some hotels releasing waste into the public drains,” he said.

However, he added, “I will order my colleagues to check, today.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/black-wastewater-returns-to-phuket-surin-beach-62094.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-09

27 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

With officials whose IQ can be counted on one hand there's no hope at all, is there?

Well, I am inclined to agree with the  municipal official. The waste treatment facility is of no use if the hotels dump their raw sewage in the storm sewers and klongs. Many of the smaller and midsized facilities did this in the past. It's only the large foreign multinationals who have any semblance of  environmental responsibility.

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Well, I am inclined to agree with the  municipal official. The waste treatment facility is of no use if the hotels dump their raw sewage in the storm sewers and klongs. Many of the smaller and midsized facilities did this in the past. It's only the large foreign multinationals who have any semblance of  environmental responsibility.

Maybe you should read again this bit:-

Mr Krichanut blankly disbelieved that the wastewater had returned to Surin, and offered a disturbing understanding of what wastewater was.

“I don’t think black wastewater has appeared on Surin Beach again. I believe it is just from some hotels releasing waste into the public drains,” he said.

So.......waste from hotels releasing waste isn't waste.

Edited by KarenBravo

I understand your point, but I believe this is just  the nature of the reporting. I find that comments are  not properly attributed or translated causing the meaning and intent to be distorted. In any case we can both agree it is unacceptable to have the pollution and that this is an obvious indication that there is no vigilance or water  quality testing at the beach.

They actually do water testing at most of the main beaches in Phuket.

They used to release the results, but, suddenly stopped informing the public. Speaks volumes.

The regular patches of brown water sighted on Patong beach that are reported by the public (who think it's raw sewage) are explained away by officials as "natural algae blooms and not sewage". Yet they avoid saying that the algae blooms are only possible due to excessive nutrients in the water caused by sewage.

It's save face at any cost, no matter how unbelievable the attempt.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Thais are very clean in their personal life but could care squat about anyone or anything else when it comes to cleaning up their area,city district,or their world." Hey just clean your house and throw the trash over the fence".

WOW..... how can that be when we have a new 'wastewater treatment system' installed 2 months ago... it would be interesting to see if that so called system was ever installed and if it was, was it connected up?

Most of you won't be old enough to remember when Surin Beach was pristine with no hotels or shops, just miles of clear, clean water and sand.

My Thai friends an I had many a happy day just swimming and then eating prepared lunched under the trees.

So sad what has happened to Phuket. Still, I know there are several FMs posting here who think that Phuket should only be a sex, drugs and rock 'n roll island. They consider that progress and probably never go anywhere near the beaches that they have helped to ruin.