Ombudsman to discuss complaint against purchase of submarine

webfact

Ombudsman to discuss complaint against purchase of submarine
By The Nation

bf27cb406551d5b025f988386af85800.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Ombudsman’s Office plans to table a complaint over the controversial submarine purchase deal at its meeting early next week to decide whether it should seek a verdict from either the Constitutional Court or the Administrative Court.

The complaint, filed by the anti-corruption activist Srisuwan Janya, has requested the Ombudsman to forward the case to the courts, under the new charter’s Article 231.

The activist questioned whether the Navy’s submarine deal, inked with China last Friday, breached either the constitution’s Article 178 that prohibited any pacts with a foreign nation without parliamentary approval, or the budget act because of the long-term financial commitment.

The Ombudsman’s Office could meet next Tuesday to consider the complaint.

The first instalment of Bt700 million for the purchase of the Yuan Class S26T is to be paid on May 24. The Ombudsman could block the due payment if any legal hurdles are found.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315019

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-12

34 minutes ago, pentap said:

What a twist.

The plaintiff has guts.

If it's his right to question the purchase, then good for him.

No harm seeking answers to questions.

Part of democracy, I believe?

What democracy?

14 hours ago, pentap said:

What a twist.

The plaintiff has guts.

If it's his right to question the purchase, then good for him.

No harm seeking answers to questions.

Part of democracy, I believe?

yes but not part of current thailand. i feel someone is up for some re education at an undisclosed military location.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ombudsman’s Office plans to table a complaint over the controversial submarine purchase deal at its meeting early next week to decide whether it should

Likely to be further delayed as the Thailand Auditor-General Pisit Leelavachiropas is still investigating the purchase but that did not prohibit the agreement being signed before its investigations were completed. In the high likelihood that the Auditor approves the purchase, I would expect the Ombudsman to terminate the complaint.