New To Thaivisa...

Hi everyone,

Id firstly like to start by saying that this site is an amazing place for information! its been the most useful resource i have found.

Now, the reasons why i am here.

Myself and a friend have just returned from a 3 week visit to Thailand, we visited Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, and Koh Samui.

Now, ok, it was only three weeks, but already we want to return for 6 months to a year. we have a handful of friends in Chiang Mai (all thai) and have decided Chiang Mai is the place for us to live.

I have been reading up here and have got the impression that us working in thailand isnt going to happen. Im from the UK and im only 24 years old, and i get the impression that most of those factors will work against us.

So, my question is... is it possible for a 24 year old farang with the right attitude and state of mind, to live in Chiang Mai for a year?

i know it isnt a big thing, but im learning thai, i can already speak basics, i am very interested in the culture and im willing to spend as much time preparing as is possible.

myself and the friend who is going with me will have £600 each a month (42600 baht). we are looking to rent a place for no more than 10000baht a month (5000 each).

do you think this is a reasonable amount of money to be living on? bearing in mind we will have no other income other than what we have saved up before we fly to thailand.

ive read a lot on here about VISAs etc, and to be honest its confusing. The 3 month VISA is probably the best bet for me and my friend, and we dont mind making the trip to cambodia or laos to sort the VISAs out. My concern is, if we were there for a year, that would mean we would need 3 VISA trips, possibly 4 if we stay a week or so longer. Ive read on this forum that they deny the VISA after a certain time, is this true? would we be at risk of this happening?

The other factor that seems to be a bit misleading to us, is the renting of property. Now im aware that we cant buy the house, only the land. but we arent going to thailand with the intent to buy just yet. Now, can we legally and easily rent property? i notice there are a lot of real estate and property companies on the net offering houses for rent and there is little or no mention of problems for farang renting. The only thing i have found is that 6 month leases are harder to come by nowadays.

Ok, thats about it from me for now, thanks for reading my post

Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

เอ็ด

เอ็ด, do get a tourist visa, multiple entries. Apply in Hull rather than London embassy.

For general info look in here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/422.0.html

42600 baht and sharing an apartment, should be ok, although not a fortune.

Here a many Chiangmai members, who can possibly give more details.

Generally, a foreigner cannot buy land, however, can buy a condominium.

With a rental you will not have a real problem, albeit, you are right, 6 months is too short, usually owners want 1 year contracts with 2 months' deposit-money, 1 month advance payment.

Thanks for the reply Axel.

Although, im still at a loss as to how 42600 wont be enough per month.

the rent would be 5000 baht (roughly) each per month, then theres the utility bills, travel, food and clothes etc. but i dont see that adding up to 42600. or am i wrong here?

Thanks again, i really want to make everything right before going back over.

With 42,000 Baht each monthly, living here for a year doing what you want to do is not a problem at all. You can rent a decent house or an apartment for 5000 each. If you have the air on all the time, you might spend another 2000 each.

Get a non-im O from the consulate that has been recommended. Reason for going-study language and culture. Leave for a minute every three months. The talk about three consecutive entries and then you must leave for 6 months is questionable at best and in any case, its referring to 30 day no visa stays.

The money is enough to live normally. It just depends on what kind of food you eat, what kind of alcohol you drink and what kind of girls you run into.

Enjoy your stay and please don't walk around with a giant back pack and a Lonely Planet book clutched tightly in one hand. You're going to be staying long term so leave that stuff at home.

wow!

thanks for the help, this site is awesome!

ok, so everything looks to be ok so far.

still a long way to go before its all set in stone, planning etc to make it right

as for the girls we run in to, im not after anything sex related at all, well i am obviously, but not by paying for it.

i have to say, after visiting thailand, i think all the stories people tell about it being sleazy etc are total rubbish, i didnt see any prostitutes on corners, knocking shops etc. none of it

the closest we saw to a brothel was a load of skimpily clothed women (it was hot :o hehe) asking if we wanted massage! lol so i said no every time.

Sorry, i hope you dont mind me asking Chiang Mai Thai, what is the situation for employment in Chiang Mai for farang? i saw a few working in shops but on the whole they were few and far between

Thanks

Sorry, i hope you dont mind me asking Chiang Mai Thai, what is the situation for employment in Chiang Mai for farang? i saw a few working in shops but on the whole they were few and far between

There's not much real work for farang here unless you want to teach English. If you become a qualified teacher you may get 20,000 to 40,000 baht a month. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Most other farang here are the entrepreneurial type with their own business here or business back home that benefits by them being here. Others are doing work over the internet which allows them to be based anywhere.

Hope you can work out the details.

เอ็ด,

Just sharing.

You have made a good choice. I have been to Chiangmai and it's a terrific place. And it's my pleasure to know that you're learning Thai and the Thai culture. A 1-year stay may not be enough for you. i beg to differ. How about planning long-term? Though I do not reside in Thailand like most of the forummers here do, I have been to the country and stay there almost every month in the past and present to have fall in love with it so much. I'm even making plans to retire there when I'm 50 and hoping that things in Thailand will mature fast and policies change to retirees' advantage 20 years from now.

And ever since I knew my Thai gf two years ago, I have started to fall in love with everything Thai even more. From learning to speak Thai to doing everything the Thai style. Of all things, I find learning to speak Thai required the most effort. Fortunately, for me, I have no other options other than to speak Thai with my gf as she cannot converse in English. I used to think things was a little unfortunate for us, but it turned out that after discussing about almost anything under the sun in Thai with her every day, I have become conversant in the langauge so much so that the man in the street thinks I am a Chinese-Thai! From this respect, I think a Thai friend who speaks only Thai is a good starting point for learning the langauge, as you would be compelled to speak Thai and no other language.

By the way, there are so much to explore in CM and up North that I am thinking whether to drive up there this Dec after my child is born. I am not into backpacking though. One thing I really missed is riding the scenic 118 highway (if i remember correctly) to Chiangrai. If you have any opportunity, give it a try.

So much for now, hope you have an easy time firming up the plan for your CM stay soon.

acesalan - Thankyou for your response, im very grateful!

i know what you mean, everything i learn about thailand just makes it better and better! plus, like you said the thai language has been difficult in some respects, but im worried about the writing part! it looks even more confusing! :o

ill be giving it my best shot!

hey, you never know, maybe when im over there we could meet up and share some thailand memories :D

take care,

and thanks again

Have a look at the CMai section at ThaiVisa.

1500 baht a day is way more than enough unless you are going to go crazy! then you need it for the hospital:-)

Get some travel insurance. It is cheap for a year these days.

There are plenty of places for 5K a month. Look where the Thais look not in the 'foreign' mags.

Cooler in the North. Been here a good few years and have turned aircon on three times. You get the hang of it. Just do not arrive in March:-)

Helping out is a good way to amuse yourself and learn more about what goes on. Volunteering still needs permission though.

Buy water by the 20 litres will save a fortune over a year.

Try not to ride motorbikes with no helmets, 5 up, drunk, down one way streets the wrong way. Just cos a lot of the locals do it does not make it safe.

The faster you learn the lingo the more the enjoyment goes up.

CM has a great deal to offer. You can live like a Westerner or a local or a bit of each. Not many places where that applies in the world.

Enjoy!

CT

Cooler in the North. Been here a good few years and have turned aircon on three times. You get the hang of it. Just do not arrive in March:-)

Then I know you really are Thai. I have the air on all rhe time for a good 8 months a year. Costs me 5000 a month. Still, 42,000 should be enough...

i have to say, after visiting thailand, i think all the stories people tell about it being sleazy etc are total rubbish, i didnt see any prostitutes on corners, knocking shops etc. none of it

Give me a call on arrival and I'd be only too pleased to take you to many corners on Sukh and elsewhere, knocking shops? I guess we call them bars here and farang bar managers would be called Pimps anywhere else but Thailand :D

Oh, and don't forget, hookers are called hostesses here..... :o

DO NOT LEAVE BLIGHTY WITHOUT MEDICAL AND ACCIDENT INSURANCE!

You are fortunate, at 24, you should get a good deal on insurance. I'm jealous :D

cheers again for all the help, i cant believe how good this forum is!

yeah, insurance isnt a problem, so thats cool

its not expensive i dont think, but even if it is expensive its better than none at all! :o

udon, where do you live? if you dont mind me asking? is it really like that then?

i have to say again, that i didnt see anything dodgy looking, yeah i saw women at bars inviting people in and stuff, but you get that in greece and spain etc.

i didnt see it as anything different, or maybe im just blind! :D

wow!

thanks for the help, this site is awesome!

ok, so everything looks to be ok so far.

still a long way to go before its all set in stone, planning etc to make it right

as for the girls we run in to, im not after anything sex related at all, well i am obviously, but not by paying for it.

the closest we saw to a brothel was a load of skimpily clothed women (it was hot :o hehe) asking if we wanted massage! lol so i said no every time.

Thanks

ok let's not get obseqious now

eh?

lol

obsequious? moi? never!

im still interested in employment though, im mostly interested in animal work, as ive worked at many zoos and animal places in the UK, i was wondering if i could get work, paid or unpaid at Chiang Mai zoo?

even unpaid would be good because it would keep me busy and id learn a lot more about animal welfare and thai customs etc.

plus, im sure it would help my language skills.

anyone live near Chiang Mai zoo? could they ask if they accept farang as staff?

Thanks in advance

cheers again for all the help, i cant believe how good this forum is!

yeah, insurance isnt a problem, so thats cool

its not expensive i dont think, but even if it is expensive its better than none at all! :o

udon, where do you live? if you dont mind me asking? is it really like that then?

i have to say again, that i didnt see anything dodgy looking, yeah i saw women at bars inviting people in and stuff, but you get that in greece and spain etc.

i didnt see it as anything different, or maybe im just blind! :D

Will the women in Greece and Spain go home with you for the monetary equivalent of a couple hours work for you?

Its not really that sleazy... On a somewhat similar note, I actually read in the Bangkok Post yesterday that 80% of the men patronising prostitutes in Thailand are Thai. 20% are 'other'. That's an official statistic...

yeah i read that too, in my book it said that over 70% of thai men below the age of 25 "exchange money and services" with hookers (hate that word) twice a week

it doesnt bother me because i have no intention of partaking in any of that, but its just interesting to learn about it and how often it happens

yeah i read that too, in my book it said that over 70% of thai men below the age of 25 "exchange money and services" with hookers (hate that word) twice a week

it doesnt bother me because i have no intention of partaking in any of that, but its just interesting to learn about it and how often it happens

I wonder if you'll change you're mind after being here for awhile. Between you and me, the longer I've been here, the more I see exchanging money for 'services' as completey normal. Has my young mind been corrupted? Oh my! Georgie Porgie, I look to you for answers.

I don't know how accurate and reliable is the stats. But I reckon that situation cannot be so bad. Just imaging 7 out of every 10 men patronising prostitutes and that's a very large number to begin with. And considering the likelihood that the numbers could be under-reported, what do we have- a nation of sex-hungry men? I don't know.

As quoted earlier by ChiangmaiThai, the 80-20% is in the context of child-sex tourism. Read BangkokPost Outlook dated 5 May. I don't know, my comprehension might be wrong.

I would consider Thai women to be liberal, and the famed sex industry for bringing in more tourist dollars, but let's not let stereotyping got the better of us.

If you actually study how the sex industry comes about in Thailand, it's not meant for the typical Thais. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe now, the social landscape has changed.

hmmm, its interesting to learn

although i dont think its any worse than it is in Amsterdam for example, its just that Thailand is a lot larger therefore will no doubt have more of it.

as a tourist last time i didnt notice any of it, whereas amsterdam its blatantly obvious

i was wondering if i could get work, paid or unpaid at Chiang Mai zoo?

anyone live near Chiang Mai zoo? could they ask if they accept farang as staff?

Sure, in one of the cages.

You'll get food and a cleaning every day but do not except much monetary wise,... :o

lol, um, in a way it does yeah. but i think id rather work in a zoo or animal related place.

so, i am guessing your english? if so, how long have you lived in bkk? how old r u etc? all the normal questions that youve probably had about a million times! sorry if its annoying!

:o

Bluecat, it's midnight in LOS. Do you really think I can handle words like

obsequious around this time? :o

Agree Axel, even before midnight.

Not the first one to use it in this thread though.

I had to look in my dictionnary to fully understand the meaning.

But I liked it.

Going to use it some more.

Time to sleep,... :D:D

ok, to recap

i have now spoken to the thai consul in hull, UK.

they said i can only get a tourist VISA which is valid for 2 months at a time, then i have to go over border.

now, im still a bit confused here, does this 2 months give me a 30 day period after each 2 months? or is it purely the last border visit which gives me 30 days extra?

at the moment the way i see it is:

i arrive in thailand with my quadruple entry tourist visa. they stamp my passport.

i spend 2 months in chiang mai in my nice rented house. after the first 2 months i have to go to the boreder to get my passport re-stamped and my VISA checked or something.

then i can do this 3 more times before i have to come home.

so, at the end of my 8 months allowed (each re-entry is for 2 months) do i get an extra 30 days in thailand or do i have to come home then?

now, they also mentoned a non-immigration VISA which includes visiting friends/relatives. now the friend i am going with has an uncle living and working in pattaya. could we use him as a friend/relative and therefore get a non-immigration VISA to stay for a max of 12 months and only needing border crossing every 90 days?

if we could do this, would we have to live near him? or would we be ok just visiting him now and again?

thanks again, sorry if im being irritating!