Recommended road bikes..?

Mover1

Hi,

I've got a fatbike that i use to go out on sometimes, but I don't really go off road at all. I've realized that this bike is really heavy compared to other road/racer type bikes, who usually zip past me with ease. Can you experienced guys recommend a road bike for me? I'm not sure what to get, which are the decent makes, and which are the ones i definitely shouldn't get. I haven't got a budget in mind but i can afford something decent, i'd just like something mid-range or even top of the range. The area I go around has some very steep hills, if that makes a difference.

If any of you guys can help i'd really appreciate it!

Cheers,

It's better to set yourself a budget unless you're happy to spend 500k+, which is quite easy in a high end bike!

A decent Aluminum framed roadbike with a carbon fork will set you back from 25-70k depending on component spec, a decent carbon framed roadbike from a major manufacturer starts from 45k upwards.

What is more important is how tall you are, if you need a frame size larger than 56cm your choice becomes very limited and 60cm+ will normally require a special order with a 3-6 month waiting time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to spend a tonne of money to get a nice racing bike and it will be a pleasant shock after fatbike. My advice look at Giant or Trek( there are other brands too) with Sora components these may cost around 20k and be totally fine. If you want something better look at a 105 equipped model. Sometimes you will see an older model discounted if you are lucky. If you have never had a racing bike before I wouldn't go above the Shimano 105 level. Only buy a bike with a 50/34 compact crank which is more suitable for hills. 

Whatever bike or shop you decide to buy at from the start say you want a 32 cassette fitted instead of the one it comes with. If the shop is not receptive to this consider going to a different shop. The 32 cassette will give you some climbing options for steepish hills.

These kind of bikes work best with cycling shoes so aim to get some spd pedals and shoes early on. The cheapest Shimano mountain bike spd's are great about 1000 baht ( no need to spend more) and mountain bike shoes. You can walk around the 7-11 in MTB shoes. Road shoes and pedals offer no benefits unless you are aiming to get serious and win races. 

22 hours ago, moonoi said:

It's better to set yourself a budget unless you're happy to spend 500k+, which is quite easy in a high end bike!

A decent Aluminum framed roadbike with a carbon fork will set you back from 25-70k depending on component spec, a decent carbon framed roadbike from a major manufacturer starts from 45k upwards.

What is more important is how tall you are, if you need a frame size larger than 56cm your choice becomes very limited and 60cm+ will normally require a special order with a 3-6 month waiting time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks moonoi, appreciate the advice. I'm 5'11" or 180cm, what size frame would you recommend for me?

10 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

You don't have to spend a tonne of money to get a nice racing bike and it will be a pleasant shock after fatbike. My advice look at Giant or Trek( there are other brands too) with Sora components these may cost around 20k and be totally fine. If you want something better look at a 105 equipped model. Sometimes you will see an older model discounted if you are lucky. If you have never had a racing bike before I wouldn't go above the Shimano 105 level. Only buy a bike with a 50/34 compact crank which is more suitable for hills. 

Whatever bike or shop you decide to buy at from the start say you want a 32 cassette fitted instead of the one it comes with. If the shop is not receptive to this consider going to a different shop. The 32 cassette will give you some climbing options for steepish hills.

These kind of bikes work best with cycling shoes so aim to get some spd pedals and shoes early on. The cheapest Shimano mountain bike spd's are great about 1000 baht ( no need to spend more) and mountain bike shoes. You can walk around the 7-11 in MTB shoes. Road shoes and pedals offer no benefits unless you are aiming to get serious and win races. 

Thanks CNXBKKMAN, I've seen a few Giant and Trek bikes and wondered if they were any good. There's a bike shop near me in Chalong so will have another look and have a chat with the guys there about the components you mentioned, thats a great help. Cheers!

A rough guesstimate for size of a road bike would be 56cm. Although smaller 55 or 54cm might work depending on the frame design. Whatever model you like, google the manufactures website and there will be sizing information specific to that  model based on your height and inside leg measurement. This worth doing because you don't want to get the wrong size! Some shops will try to sell you what size they have in stock. 

Yep, what CNXBKKMAN said, most important measurement is your cycling inseam, which is not the same as your trouser inseam:

Start by removing your shoes.

Stand with your back against the wall, feet about shoulder width apart.

Put a large book between your legs, with it’s spine firmly up against your crotch.

Have someone measure from the floor to the spine of the book.

Jot down your inseam in inches (in) or centimeters (cm).

On 2017-5-15 at 9:56 AM, Mover1 said:

Thanks CNXBKKMAN, I've seen a few Giant and Trek bikes and wondered if they were any good. There's a bike shop near me in Chalong so will have another look and have a chat with the guys there about the components you mentioned, thats a great help. Cheers!

Phuket Bicycle Shop on Chaofa East stocks Bianchi, but will get you any bike you want (I've had 3 Trek's from there).   Also has a good range of accessories, but the downside is that the young owner (Maew) is not always there and the staff don't speak English.

I also recommend the bike shop on at the bottom of Kwang Road next to the Chaofa East traffic lights.   Sunny and Fah, the owners, are very experienced cyclists and have good English.   Go and speak to them, I've found them honest and helpful.  They stock Java, which are quite good quality and reasonable prices, and again good accessories including Park Tools.

With a road bike, it's best to go smaller if you're marginal between size recommendations.   Also unless you want to get really serious, avoid 'aero' bikes as they tend to be heavier and less comfortable.   Wheels should be fitted with 25mm tyres, as better grip and lower pressure mean more comfort with no loss of speed over 23mm.

Check out some of the online websites such as 'Bike Radar', and search for best buys for your particular budget.   That gives you a starting point in your search.   You may also find that bikes are cheaper here than in Europe as most except all the very high end bikes are made in Taiwan.   10-20% discount is also the norm.

You could also use some of the Facebook group pages, searching for Thailand Bicycles, Phuket Bicycles etc, as you sometimes get some good bargains in the second hand market, as well as potentially being able to sell your own.

Edited by pagallim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

54 or 56 will fit, 54 would be a more sporty position to fit you to, 56 bit more upright. Cassette 13 to 32 with a compact front.

shimano 105 well good enough to race on and reliable.

Shmano rs wheels also cheap and very robust.

No need for carbon frame, alu frame with carbon forks good enough with 105 GS.