Thai Youth Glued To Their Cell Phones

Jai Dee

Thai Youth Glued to Their Cell Phones

thailand_b.jpg

Nearly 96 percent of Thai teens spend up to three hours a day on their mobile phones according to a poll in Thailand.

A poll by Thailand’s Assumption University revealed that 95.7 percent of the Thai teens spend three hours a day on their mobile phones.

According to a survey conducted in the capital Bangkok, out of 1,262 teenage students, 88.3 percent spend three hours a day on their computers.

94.6 percent of respondents said they spend four hours in front of the television.

Another result revealed by the poll was that the majority of teens spend only 16 minutes a day reading newspapers.

Pollster Noppadol Kannikar said teens do not like reading but prefer talking and following news on TV and radio.

Source: Zaman - 25 December 2006

Thai Youth Glued to Their Cell Phones

thailand_b.jpg

Nearly 96 percent of Thai teens spend up to three hours a day on their mobile phones according to a poll in Thailand.

A poll by Thailand’s Assumption University revealed that 95.7 percent of the Thai teens spend three hours a day on their mobile phones.

According to a survey conducted in the capital Bangkok, out of 1,262 teenage students, 88.3 percent spend three hours a day on their computers.

94.6 percent of respondents said they spend four hours in front of the television.

Source: Zaman - 25 December 2006

3 hours cell phone plus 3 hours computer plus 4 hours television equals 10 hours each day. 10 plus 8 sleep plus 3 eat equals 21 hours per day. Great, that leaves 3 hours per day for real life, what a life. School on 3 hours per day????????? GFL

Is it 96% who sped UP TO three hours (this means some of them spend 1 minute some send five minutes and some spend three hours)?

or Is it 95.7% that spend three hours?

or Is it 88.3% that spend three hours?

I think they are confused....I know I am.

Chownah

I wonder how much time teens in the USA, Europe and Australia spend on cell phones?

Hi tc101,

Probably as much-or longer; to answer your question!

My wife and I, are shortly moving to live in Hua-Hin and we couldn't help but notice, that whilst we have been 'shopping' the assistants (nearly all teenagers) seem to remain in a huddle and when not talking to themselves are on their mobiles. Can't beleive that employers in Europe would allow them to even use there private mobiles whilst in the store, nevermind spending hours on them.

Ah well!!! relax I'm going to be living in Thailand- and boy are we glad.

Rest assured that in Germany - if I may take Berlin as being representative - virtually every young person......be he German, Turkish, Arab or of whatever nationality you may set eyes upon ........ has a mobile in his or her hand, next to the ear or connected via bluetooth or cable/earphones and does nothing other than either talk into it, play games on it or stare at it, waiting for the next call to arrive...............................

The day people starting growing extra heads and other deformities after 20 years of having these radio waves belting through their brain cells will be an interesting one indeed...

Yes I reckon that the jury is still out on this issue. But it stands to reason that the 'longer brain tissue is exposed to RF' the more chance there is of damage in the longterm. Who knows what the longterm cumulative effects of mobiles will have, particularly on youngsters who have grown-up clutching one to their ear from a very tender age?

Suppose that the only good thing is that, the more of them there are, the more repeater stations we see and thus mobiles will work on lower output powers. Don't know if manufacturers are actively working on this scenario as yet, and it might be that when research comes up with positive proof that they can be dangerous in the longterm maybe they will take this line of approach in new models.

Just what the heck did we all do before mobiles??? :o

Hm, what do I know. I was told I pay 3 baht for the first minute, less for subsequent, but since my calls extremely rarely take more than a minute, that's my effective per-minute charge. :o

My one-2-call promotion is 3 baht for the first minute and 25 satang from then on...

If you are with True, or Dtac, they have some very cheap promotions - but service can be poor.