Transfering a Work Permit

Hello,

I am switching employers in roughly 6 weeks.  I was wondering if anyone has experience or knows if it is possible to transfer the current work permit. Or is the only option to have to fly out to a consulate and start the process over again?

Thanks

Edited by MrNeilThai

A work permit cannot be transferred.

It is possible to change employers without leaving the country.

Your new employer would have to apply for your new work permit and get a work permit approval letter to for it.

Then you could change your extension based upon working to the new employer after your current extension is canceled so you can apply for a new one with supporting documents from your new employer and the approval letter.

After getting the new extension you would then cancel your current work permit and have your new one issued.

i had a work permit for about 9 years in thailand. doing anything other than starting or finishing them is very difficult. i would suggest it would be easier to close your current one and start  a new one. i got into a lot of trouble just not being able to change the address in my workpermit. cost me 80 000thb and 2 years getting through court.

Yes possible I did it about a year ago. What you need though is for both employers to cooperate and coordinate. I arrived at immigration and both HR reps were there at the same time. They did whatever they needed to do and the previous employers HR rep left and I continued on applying for the employment visa and WP stuff with my new firm. Key is just to get both employers to coordinate.

OB

3 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

Yes possible I did it about a year ago. What you need though is for both employers to cooperate and coordinate. I arrived at immigration and both HR reps were there at the same time. They did whatever they needed to do and the previous employers HR rep left and I continued on applying for the employment visa and WP stuff with my new firm. Key is just to get both employers to coordinate.

OB

I think you are confused between transferring and cancelling and applying at the same time. What probably happened was that your old employer cancelled your old WP and your new employer applied for your new WP at the same time. WP's cannot be transferred.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I think you are confused between transferring and cancelling and applying at the same time. What probably happened was that your old employer cancelled your old WP and your new employer applied for your new WP at the same time. WP's cannot be transferred.

Ah right. You are most likely correct. I just sat there and they did everything. I thought it was just transferring but could have been as you said.

OB

44 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

Ah right. You are most likely correct. I just sat there and they did everything. I thought it was just transferring but could have been as you said.

OB

No problem, it takes a super computer to keep track of whats happening some times.