Thai tourism rakes in over THB800bn in first 4 months

webfact

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

You have to rename that to be the wheel of tourism. What will you do with "lose a turn"?

Forget about "lose a tune". Just spin again until you get the result you want.

7 hours ago, Nigeone said:

Once again some doubt on these figures !! isn't there approx thirty million visitors a year allegedly. So lots of catching up to do the rest of the year !! 4 months and only 2.8 million leaves over 27 million in 8 months ! Is that possible ??

Yes, of course it is. I believe everything that i am told by the TAT.And so should you, if you know what is good for you.:smile:

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Each time you do a border run, you not only pay visa costs but also for the van/fuel, drinks, food, may buy a shirt/cloths item, tips, and so on it all adds up.

Buying food/cloth/shirts/etc... isn't that what you do on the 'other' side while waiting for the visa stamp?  I hope they are not taking into consideration money spent in Laos as tourism dollars spent in Thailand :)

ANd, how do they know how much we are spending there?

When I was in Hua Hin this year I did notice a few busy nights at the night market, but a lot of the

people were Thais from other parts of the country. There were quite a few Russians, and Europeans,

but a big lacking of North Americans. I did see quite a few Chinese and other Korean and a few

Vietnamese, and other Asians in the crowds, but many times the place seemed quiet. It was the same

in Jomtien Beach near Pattaya, and it was very quiet up north in Nong Khai for the week I visited

that city.

Geezer

17 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

There you go again did somebody give you a shot of truth serum? I once watched a wrestler called Kabula any relation?

Never wrestled  professionally; just some VC and working ladies!

So who is getting a chunk of this so called "tourism revenue"????? AirBNB???? As most of the hotels that are paying license fees and various taxes are not doing well. Maybe the government should do something about all the condo owners renting their units on daily rents and also the illegal guesthouses and also ban AirBNB.

23 hours ago, saakura said:

Oh my, this is going to be hard on our regular thai bashers!!

Not bashing but just put things in perspective. All ASEAN countries got a bump up on tourism arrivals in the last few years. By end 2017, we can expect a rise of 120 M tourist arrivals from 109 M in 2015 into ASEAN. 

Thai tourism rakes in BHT800 bn. in first 4 months??  A 4.68% increase on last year, based on same time frame?? 

Where do these pie in the sky figures come from? Many  businesses are strictly cash businesses, restaurants, bars, retail that don't declare their takings full stop, or cut them back considerably to avoid paying tax.. So I'm left mystified as to how the bureaucrats get their spending figures...  

On 5/18/2017 at 11:40 AM, Canceraid said:

So who is getting a chunk of this so called "tourism revenue"????? AirBNB???? As most of the hotels that are paying license fees and various taxes are not doing well. Maybe the government should do something about all the condo owners renting their units on daily rents and also the illegal guesthouses and also ban AirBNB.

It's a huge problem here now. Millions of baht illegally being sucked up by AirBNB type rentals, some agents are now offering properties for rent with a "pre approval" from the owners despite it being illegal.

The properties are being offered by all the top travel accommodation sites like Booking.co,Agoda.com etc

Tackling this would be a major source of income for the authorities, landlords,lessees etc all likely to be fined and if operated by foreigners deportations for working/earning illegally.