Quick Query on Car Inspection

GiantFan

Went down to the Caltex inspection center in Kathu.  They said I needed to go to Phuket town DLT, which isn't a problem.  I have for years let my guy down the road handle this, but he tells me he can't inspect cars anymore, but can sort out the por a bor insurance and road tax medallion.  Just wondering if I can just get the safety check and bugger off.  

The Caltex guy also mentioned that my book needed to be changed to include the cap at the back of my Nissan NV wingroad.  I've had the cap on the car for ten years and never had a problem.  Not hard to remove, 4 bolts, but would rather not.

Oh sages, please advise.

Went down to the Caltex inspection center in Kathu.  They said I needed to go to Phuket town DLT, which isn't a problem.  I have for years let my guy down the road handle this, but he tells me he can't inspect cars anymore, but can sort out the por a bor insurance and road tax medallion.  Just wondering if I can just get the safety check and bugger off.  

The Caltex guy also mentioned that my book needed to be changed to include the cap at the back of my Nissan NV wingroad.  I've had the cap on the car for ten years and never had a problem.  Not hard to remove, 4 bolts, but would rather not.

Oh sages, please advise.

I had to get a new blue book for my NV as well because of shell on the back, some silly change in the law a couple of years ago. I always went to the local car inspection place here in Rawai, but he died last year in an accident. This year was a pain. The closest inspection was in Phuket town. A local guy did the insurance and registration for me though. The DLT looks packed with people these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I just did my inspection and renewal

go to the first place on the right on the road where the Motor vehicle office is  ,i did mine Monday PLUS insurance than went and got next years sticker,

total time 45 minutes,it only takes 2minutes /person so it goes very quick even if it looks crowded.

9 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

I just did my inspection and renewal

go to the first place on the right on the road where the Motor vehicle office is  ,i did mine Monday PLUS insurance than went and got next years sticker,

total time 45 minutes,it only takes 2minutes /person so it goes very quick even if it looks crowded.

Did they say all your suspension bushes, track rod ends etc were in good condition....

:tongue:

• 2 months later...

Double Update and 1 Additional Question

Decided to wet sand the blistering area.  Only could find 1000 grit, so was gentle not to go Magilla Gorilla on it.  Just remove the flaking edges.  Masked and used a clear coat spray paint.  Not going to win any awards, but looks much better.

To avoid problems with DLT, also removed the cap.  Now can go to Kathu Caltex for safety check and my local guy for por ra bor insurance and road tax.  Bit of a palaver, but car is in GFs name and has isaan plates.  Would have spent days trying to sort this out without her here.

New question, the NV has fog lights which I never use.  One of the lenses is broken through combination of high curb and GFs driving skills.  Its difficult to find a replacement lens.  I could cover with some clear tape.  Is this going to cause me grief?

4 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Double Update and 1 Additional Question

Decided to wet sand the blistering area.  Only could find 1000 grit, so was gentle not to go Magilla Gorilla on it.  Just remove the flaking edges.  Masked and used a clear coat spray paint.  Not going to win any awards, but looks much better.

To avoid problems with DLT, also removed the cap.  Now can go to Kathu Caltex for safety check and my local guy for por ra bor insurance and road tax.  Bit of a palaver, but car is in GFs name and has isaan plates.  Would have spent days trying to sort this out without her here.

New question, the NV has fog lights which I never use.  One of the lenses is broken through combination of high curb and GFs driving skills.  Its difficult to find a replacement lens.  I could cover with some clear tape.  Is this going to cause me grief?

You removed the carrboy instead of paying the small fee for an ungraded book? Wow, I thought I was cheap! I think I'm going to pay 30K for a full good quality paint job on my NV and caryrboy that's and original Nissan that was sold with it, but yes, they required me to change my book. It was full anyway, so not a big deal. 

Arrived Kathu Caltex 9am, got right in.  Several cars queued up when I left.  Took about 15 minutes, thb 200.

Went back over the hill, just missing the sand truck that scraped the guardrail before the Wat entrance.  Thankfully, he was able to stop so traffic was near normal.  Blue book, safety check document and thb 1900 for tax/insurance and I was good to go.  Tomorrow morning back for pickup.  No issues with cracked fog light lens.