Teenage mum of baby thrown in trash is found - says she didn't know she was pregnant

webfact

Teenage mum of baby thrown in trash is found - says she didn't know she was pregnant

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

KORAT: -- Police in Marerng district of Korat have found the mother of a baby found thrown in the trash outside some lodgings at an industrial estate on Tuesday.

She is a 17 year old student trainee at a factory in the Suranaree Industrial estate.

The baby, aged 7-8 months was found dead but fully formed and wrapped n a student's shirt.

The mother said that she was unaware that she was pregnant. Her friends started teasing her that she was getting fat and so two months ago she started taking slimming tablets.

On Tuesday morning she had what she thought were stomach pains and went to the toilet. There she gave birth alone to the stillborn fetus.

In a panic she said she wrapped her child - a girl - in a shirt and threw her in the rubbish bin outside her room.

She is currently in hospital after suffering internal bleeding.

Police said they would wait until she recovers before interviewing her further. They will then decide the appropriate action to take.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-18

Bad translation The baby was not  7-8 months Saying it that way means the baby was born   7-8 months ago

I think the translation should have been the baby was 7-8 months premature 

Or it was just bad writing 

"The mother said that she was unaware that she was pregnant."

Considering the total lack of sex education being taught, and the near universal unwillingness to discus these issues in this society, I can believe that she had no idea that she was pregnant. I wouldn't doubt it if she didn't know what causes pregnancy. 

As for dumping the infant in the trash...another cornerstone of Thai culture. Mae Pen Rai.

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Also sounds like she need counselling and help for a while and not punishment.

No doubt that won't be the view of all on TV.

I think the majority of people here with a Western background can see how retarded it is that abortion is illegal in this country, especially combined with almost no (sexual) education for youngsters.

What happened here is just the logical outcome of these two things.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, stuff like this happens on a daily basis all over the country.

44 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Bad translation The baby was not  7-8 months Saying it that way means the baby was born   7-8 months ago

I think the translation should have been the baby was 7-8 months premature 

Or it was just bad writing 

Maybe simply 1-2 months premature???

24 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

I think the majority of people here with a Western background can see how retarded it is that abortion is illegal in this country, especially combined with almost no (sexual) education for youngsters.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, stuff like this happens on a daily basis all over the country.

Having a good friend who works as a Matron in a maternity hospital in UK I can assure you it's not just Thailand.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Actually that isn't true, sex education is taught to all students in Thai schools including contraceptive use. Abortions are also easily accessible in a hospital or clinic. Girls may not feel confident to insist on contraception and shame or denial may play a part in not choosing to seek an abortion but I've known 2 girls, one 16 and one 19 who have easily accessed an abortion in Chiang Mai. 

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

am always amazed that contraception so cheaply and easily available isnt used much by the girls

Actually that isn't true, sex education is taught to all students in Thai schools including contraceptive use. Abortions are also easily accessible in a hospital or clinic. Girls may not feel confident to insist on contraception and shame or denial may play a part in not choosing to seek an abortion but I've known 2 girls, one 16 and one 19 who have easily accessed an abortion in Chiang Mai. 

Abortion is illegal in Thailand under normal circumstances and therefore not easily available.
Sex education is also seriously lacking so i wonder if we are talking about the same country here.

15 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Abortion is illegal in Thailand under normal circumstances and therefore not easily available.
Sex education is also seriously lacking so i wonder if we are talking about the same country here.

If the pregnancy is seen to be a danger to the health of the baby or mother, including the mother's mental health then abortions aren't hard to access. I have been with someone to a planned parenthood clinic in Chiang Mai who saw the doctor and was given an abortion the same day. How often have you tried to access an abortion yourself in Thailand? 

All thai schools are required to give sex Ed- whether they do is another thing but it is in the curriculum...

3 hours ago, skinnymilinky said:

There is an abortion clinic in Pattaya. It is a well known place.In my younger days here, i have known a few guys that have gone down that route. However there is a con attached.

Girl tells guy she hasn't hit her period for the 2nd month. Guy gets all panicky. A friendly Thai guy, who the girl knows, has told here where the abortion clinic is.Guy and girl go along to the address. Girl tells guy , it is best for him to wait somewhere a few blocks away, because if he, as a ferang, is seen it will be more expensive. She then comes back ad tells the guy the price. He is willing to pay because he doesn't want trouble with the girls family or friends. Girl gets money from guy and disappears for a few hours.She goes to the clinic and has a DNC for about 3000 baht. Then she goes back and says she has to rest up for a few days. A guy i know was scammed out of 17,000 baht by this, ( a percentage of it going to the friendly Thai guy)It wasn't till a couple of years later, that he heard the same story from a complete stranger, in one of the beach side bars.

But there is a place that deals with unwanted pregnancy's Its on 2nd road.To avoid the experience, put your raincoat on!

If the pregnancy is seen to be a danger to the health of the baby or mother, including the mother's mental health then abortions aren't hard to access. I have been with someone to a planned parenthood clinic in Chiang Mai who saw the doctor and was given an abortion the same day. How often have you tried to access an abortion yourself in Thailand? 
All thai schools are required to give sex Ed- whether they do is another thing but it is in the curriculum...

And how often have you had an abortion in Thailand?

She is some factory trainee at 17 so we don't know anything about how much or how little public education she got...

public education could be irrelevant in this case....

still always mystefied when when girls don't know they are pregnant so late into the pregnancy...

hope the baby was a stillborn for her sake....needs counseling

Sad thing is, she simply discarded the baby in the trash.

She is also claiming that the child was still born....but only her word about that.

Most likely feared she would lose her job and her life would be compromised with a child in her life.

More guys have to wear a condom.

I know...wishful thinking

Cheers

13 hours ago, kannot said:

am always amazed that contraception so cheaply and easily available isnt used much by the girls

Of course the easiest and quickest form of contraception is a condom and works really well.

Most girls are not on the pill because they do not have a husband or boy friend or a regular lover, but life happens sometimes ( all too often actually ) and then one day or usually in the evening time or late at night the girl has sex with "some guy"  ....while the (Guy) should be the one practicing safe sex and thinking about not making babies and or transferring his existing STI ( if that is the case and often is ) or contracting a STI from the girls infected vagina.

But nope...most guys just have to "stick it in there",  unprotected and all and most of them will ejaculate inside the girls vagina to make matters worse.

If you think about the spread of STI's and the global population explosion and unwanted teen girl pregnancies everywhere then be aware it is more the fault of men than it is women...but women get the blame or certainly blamed more and held accountable far more. 

Nice eh

Edited by gemguy

17 minutes ago, gemguy said:

Of course the easiest and quickest form of contraception is a condom and works really well.

Most girls are not on the pill because they do not have a husband or boy friend or a regular lover, but life happens sometimes ( all too often actually ) and then one day or usually in the evening time or late at night the girl has sex with "some guy"  ....while the (Guy) should be the one practicing safe sex and thinking about not making babies and or transferring his existing STI ( if that is the case and often is ) or contracting a STI from the girls infected vagina.

But nope...most guys just have to "stick it in there",  unprotected and all and most of them will ejaculate inside the girls vagina to make matters worse.

If you think about the spread of STI's and the global population explosion and unwanted teen girl pregnancies everywhere then be aware it is more the fault of men than it is women...but women get the blame or certainly blamed more and held accountable far more. 

Nice eh

More the fault of men..?  Actually you need two people it's a partnership and blame lays equally with the male and female.

Really makes me cry.  The mother isn't capable of being a mother and the baby is sacrificed.  Yet there are millions of people over the world that would give their right arm to have a baby.  What is wrong with this?  The young girl's future is sacrificed and the baby is dead because of a bunch of do gooders and politicians sticking their noses in something that shouldn't be a problem.

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

More the fault of men..?  Actually you need two people it's a partnership and blame lays equally with the male and female.

Yep...more the fault of men.

Men are always chasing women to get them in bed and have sex with them while most women do not conduct themselves like that for fear of rape or fear of pregnancies or fear of diseases or fear of ruining their reputation while men most men do not care and seize the opportunity when it presents itself...not all ..but most.  

Everywhere in the world you have men who have fathered several children with different women while having dozens or often enough hundreds of sexual encounters with loads of strange women while women overall will have far less sexual encounters during their lives. 

Men will have sex with near anything under near any circumstances....lol

But you can see it your way if you think or believe otherwise.

Cheers