Questions about Integrated dash cam in Chiang Mai

hobz

Hi,

Recently my Thai friend showed me how he got both front and back dash cams installed integrated into the car.

Integration benefits: 

1. It starts when the car starts, no manual action required.

2. It doesn't rely on suction cups that can be unreliable.

3. Display in the rear view mirror

He said he paid 2500 for two cameras and the rearview mirror. Too good to be true. Indeed, found a garage that does this, but they want around 3500 per camera + not sure about how much for the mirror, I'm waiting for them to call back later today.

But before I go spending, my questions to you fine gentlemen and ladies is:

Do you guys know any garage that does this?

How much does it cost?

Is it worth it? Or should I just get a normal dash cam for the front and be done with it?

Also bonus story: Honda service,, tried to make appointment for july,, they said july is too far away (1 and 1/2 months, so they can't make an appointment that far ahead).. I couldn't hold in the laughter.. Does anyone understand why they couldn't make an appointment 1 1/2 months in the future?? still laughing at this.. such a thai thing lol

I bought the 'Dengo' one at the Motor Show. But there are now several all the same but with different names ... beware there are two qualities ...the ones now priced at 2K to 2.5K thb are the better ones.

Only get the ones which show the picture in the left of the mirror....much less distracting.

The large mirror clips over the car mirror and is retained by 'elastic bands'.

Easy enough to hide all the wires. Mine has a reversing guide lines feature...think you attach extra wires to the brake lights supply ... I don't need as have that help inbuilt.

The front camera is quite a wide angle. It is integrated in the mirror

Playback insitu ...or in your phone...or in PC.

I'll post a pic later ...

Google Dengo and you will find their cameras ... it does look like they now don't offer the mirror cam with the picture in the left hand side as mine is. I can set the picture to front only, rear only, front and rear, But of course it records both Front and Rear

On the chip it stores 'A' and 'B' files 'A' is front record 'B' is rear record, you can only re-play one file at a  time. 

You can see the cam picture overlap (when sitting normally in the driving seat it doesn't overlap that much... you can switch off the pic and it should still record ... but I like to see the red dot flashing (top left)

New_20170520_163845.jpg.8d9e2a27699ba5cad4815cad8cd4a676.jpg

Side view showing the camera on the front of the clip on mirror

New_20170520_163711.jpg.f313ec2aa1a52c18ba49f4570f7473fa.jpg

Saw one of these in a minivan I was in last week. I knocked it when I went to put the sun visor down, you can't flip the visor unless you twist the mirror out of the way.

Then when readjusting, I noticed if the mirror is in the correct position for the driver, the camera points left and you can't wouldn't be able to see oncoming traffic. Perhaps there are better ones that angle the camera.

The driver readjusted the mirror to point directly forwards. Who needs a rear view mirror, eh!?!

32 minutes ago, naboo said:

Saw one of these in a minivan I was in last week. I knocked it when I went to put the sun visor down, you can't flip the visor unless you twist the mirror out of the way.

Then when readjusting, I noticed if the mirror is in the correct position for the driver, the camera points left and you can't wouldn't be able to see oncoming traffic. Perhaps there are better ones that angle the camera.

The driver readjusted the mirror to point directly forwards. Who needs a rear view mirror, eh!?!

Probably didn't realise that the camera is adjustable ...

4 hours ago, naboo said:

Wow, thats insane. Haha.

But i think it speaks more about the quality of thai drivers than it does about the quality of the camera systems lol.. Who needs a rear mirror lol. 

Thank you so much for the replies. You guys rock.

Im gonna get something like dengo today.

My gf found a guy in hang dong that sells it and installs it for 2500.

He also said that i should go to icon square and look for systems there and he would install whatever i find for 200-300. Seems like a genuinly good guy this one. Not greedy. Helpful to the point of telling you where his competitors are lol. A true sign of good will.

Let me know if you want his contact.

• 6 months later...
On 5/20/2017 at 9:39 PM, hobz said:

Thank you so much for the replies. You guys rock.

Im gonna get something like dengo today.

My gf found a guy in hang dong that sells it and installs it for 2500.

He also said that i should go to icon square and look for systems there and he would install whatever i find for 200-300. Seems like a genuinly good guy this one. Not greedy. Helpful to the point of telling you where his competitors are lol. A true sign of good will.

Let me know if you want his contact.

I would like your contact for dash cam sales or installation in Hong Dong

Archived