Jump to content

Trash on the road leads to death of German tourist in Samui


rooster59

Recommended Posts

Trash on the road leads to death of German tourist in Samui

 

Samui.PNG

Image: Daily News

 

A German tourist was thrown from his motorcycle after hitting a patch of wet trash left by a refuse truck on a sharp bend in Samui yesterday.

Dead at the scene was 48 year old Thomas Oscar Brandt. He had skidded on the slippery road surface and been thrown from his Honda Click into a sign indicating the bend positioned off the road.

Another motorist found him alive but by the time medics arrived he was dead. He had suffered head trauma and was bleeding from the ear.

The accident happened on the road between Chaweng and Lamai.

Another local motor cyclist who had skidded on the same spot earlier said the rubbish had probably fallen off the back of a refuse truck.

 

Source: Daily News

 

 

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

and the local motorist who had skidded earlier left it for someone else to skid on.poor chap.thats THAINESS.

 

This is Thailand, nobody is responsible for anything.

 

How often I have seen stuff coming off trucks and flying out of the back of pickup trucks... And nobody cares.

Or how often have I seen pieces of tires and boxes lying on the extra lane of the highway where motorbikes are supposed to drive... nobody cares.

 

Till it goes wrong of course, then the family of the deceased cares but nobody else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

and the local motorist who had skidded earlier left it for someone else to skid on.poor chap.thats THAINESS.

 

How many times have you yourself stopped and picked up rubbish on a road ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

and the local motorist who had skidded earlier left it for someone else to skid on.poor chap.thats THAINESS.

 

I have seen Thais picking up crap off the road as it was a hazard, or putting branches in holes to warn other road users, that's THAINESS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

I have seen Thais picking up crap off the road as it was a hazard, or putting branches in holes to warn other road users, that's THAINESS

that's THAINESS ...but that's not ThaiVisaness :saai:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

This is Thailand, nobody is responsible for anything.

 

How often I have seen stuff coming off trucks and flying out of the back of pickup trucks... And nobody cares.

Or how often have I seen pieces of tires and boxes lying on the extra lane of the highway where motorbikes are supposed to drive... nobody cares.

 

Till it goes wrong of course, then the family of the deceased cares but nobody else.

How often.... probably once but still enough to make you believe that it happens all the time everywherr in thailand and no where else on earth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How often.... probably once but still enough to make you believe that it happens all the time everywherr in thailand and no where else on earth.

I presume you either dont drive at all or never venture between large cities.

I normally already spot 3 exploded truck tires (large pieces of it) on the side of the road before leaving the island of Phuket. It is worse on the roads between cities.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

How many times have you yourself stopped and picked up rubbish on a road ?

never and do you want to know why,in over 30yrs.i have never ridden a BIKE,and my car has only 4,300 on the clock,that is after 5yrs.of use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He had moved to Samui some four months ago and taken over a restaurant business (Bamboo Park) from another German expat.

He left behind a 16 yr old son and his mother (been divorced earlier).

It's disputed whether it was only the garbage or whether he was a bit too fast for that "infamous curve" (?).

 

From DER FARANG, German newsletter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, meatboy said:

never and do you want to know why,in over 30yrs.i have never ridden a BIKE,and my car has only 4,300 on the clock,that is after 5yrs.of use.

And in what state the soles of your shoes?  :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jimstar1 said:

Rip Sad But I think Helmet might have Helped  :sorry:

Doubtful. Helmets are of limited use - a decent full-face helmet is probably more trouble than it's worth in this country - though good to choose one that you can pick up visors for easily enough (65 baht for mine) to help with rain/dust.

 

Actually just watching the road surface whilst riding is your only defence. We're not talking about some 'freak' accident here - if there's a large polythene trash bag in the road I think you should be able to ride around it on a Honda Click. I can't imagine this is anything other than him driving without due care and attention.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

never and do you want to know why,in over 30yrs.i have never ridden a BIKE,and my car has only 4,300 on the clock,that is after 5yrs.of use.

 

I have put 47,xxx km on my motorbike since 2009 and my 2001 Ford Ranger pick up has 35x,xxx on it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where the Police officer is standing you can see the wall behind him. This runs down out of the photo and is the wall to a number of luxury villas just out of shot is where they stack their trash, there and further down the road. This is a steep, sharp corner and possibly more deaths on this corner than most in Samui. It ALWAYS has some sort of trash, either gravel and sand or trash from passing motorists. I cycle it often. It looks like he might have been thrown over the wall at speed (many do speed around there) and with no helmet there are way too many 'hard' surfaces. RIP to the man, horrible way to go and it is a shame the Thai local didn't think to clean up the mess for the next person.  Having said that, the 'trash juice' that drips from the Garbage truck has taken out many in the past. Maybe the garbage truck could have some sort of hose and hose down the liquid...wait...sorry...that's just never going to happen I know. Tourists need to be made aware 'This is NOT like your home and you must take care and at least wear a helmet' Sad story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rest in Peace, this could happen to anyone of us, it was just his time I suppose.  I UK Warrant Officer friend of mine decided to walk home rather than drive drunk, he & his girlfriend walked the three blocks to his house and a truck's side mirror hit him on his head as it rounded a curve, killed him instantly.  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  and this was in Belgium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, meatboy said:

and the local motorist who had skidded earlier left it for someone else to skid on.poor chap.thats THAINESS.

 

The article has been badly reported/translated from the original post in Thai media.

 

The government refuse truck regularly crawls up this hill. All the gunk and the slops and the oily waste flows  out of the back onto the road in this spot because the truck is on an incline.

 

The 'motorist' who saw the accident was in fact on another scooter and travelling behind. he is also quoted as saying he is aware of the slippery road here and was going slow. The unfortunate accident victim was moving at speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The operator's speed may have been too fast prior to entering the curve.

 

If the roadway had a slight grade to the left,  excessive speed combined with  improper hard braking would have pulled him over the trash and into the concrete and sign.

 

Most motorcycle accidents in the vicinity of sharpe curves are caused by speed too fast for conditions and improper road grades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, robsamui said:

The article has been badly reported/translated from the original post in Thai media.

 

The government refuse truck regularly crawls up this hill. All the gunk and the slops and the oily waste flows  out of the back onto the road in this spot because the truck is on an incline.

 

The 'motorist' who saw the accident was in fact on another scooter and travelling behind. he is also quoted as saying he is aware of the slippery road here and was going slow. The unfortunate accident victim was moving at speed.

If it had been raining and the road was wet then that 'spillage' would have made the bends particularly nasty.

 

This road between Chaweng and Lamai is notorious for accidents as most Samui residents know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, balo said:

 

No real helmet ? RIP. 

 

Indeed.....why do all stupid Farangs whom, in general, spout off about being from a 1st world country with modern traffic laws revert to behaving like the locals here. Of course you suffer head trauma if you dont wear a helmet. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Indeed.....why do all stupid Farangs whom, in general, spout off about being from a 1st world country with modern traffic laws revert to behaving like the locals here. Of course you suffer head trauma if you dont wear a helmet. 

 

Perhaps I can explain as I 'am a stupid farang'. When you come on holiday to Thailand you like the freedom of the lack of law enforcement and being to be able to ride around on a scooter/motorbike without any protection, the sun on your back and the wind in your hair is exhilarating. With your Sunnies on, you look so cool ........... 

 

When you live on Samui, you realise the chances of being maimed or killed are quite high if you regularly ride a bike on the island without any protection.

 

The one thing I will say in support of 'farangs' is that if we have a bike licence then generally we will have had pretty good training, and would be competent to ride a motorbike. Can you say the same about a Thai with a licence ? No and also most Thais don't have a licence.

 

If the people that rented out bikes ensured or the law required that tourists had a motorbike licence before hiring bikes then there would be far less accidents.

 

But .......... scooter/motorbike rental is big business , no need to stop it or regulate it just because a few people die, think of the bigger picture $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Doubtful. Helmets are of limited use - a decent full-face helmet is probably more trouble than it's worth in this country - though good to choose one that you can pick up visors for easily enough (65 baht for mine) to help with rain/dust.

 

Actually just watching the road surface whilst riding is your only defence. We're not talking about some 'freak' accident here - if there's a large polythene trash bag in the road I think you should be able to ride around it on a Honda Click. I can't imagine this is anything other than him driving without due care and attention.

 

Can I ask why a full face helmet is more trouble than it's worth? as I'm about to buy another full face one and not sure the reasons not too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...