TB Test for UK visa

Just printing out the bar coded pages for the my wife UK visa application and realized i had forgotten about the TB certificate, it seems there is only one medical centre  in Thailand thats acceptable, has anyone done this recently? Its hard to believe they wont accept a certificate from an international hospital.

I note TB is not required for a tourist visa and my wife has not had to do it before for a 6 month visa. We are applying for a 5 year visa this time so i am wondering if this is still classed as a tourist visa? We are not applying to settle in the UK/

Interesting question but no it's not. Even with a five year visit visa your wife won’t be allowed to stay in the UK for more than 180 days in any 12 month period.

Quite how that works I have no idea. Presumably if you have TB people can catch it from you whether you are here for six months or six years. I noticed when my wife was going for settlement that diplomats wanting to settle here also don't require a TB test. Government employee germs are obviously not catching!

Yes it not quite clear to me and your point on the diplomats is a good one...maybe they are issued white masks!!!

We only intend to stay a maximum of 4 weeks each visit but it looks like she will have to go do the TB test, its a pain as we live in Phuket so its not just round the corner. The guideline says if you intend to stay more than 6 months the test is mandatory, we don't but as the visa is valid for more than 6 months  looks like she will need it.

Thanks for your comments.

3 hours ago, rasg said:

Interesting question but no it's not. Even with a five year visit visa your wife won’t be allowed to stay in the UK for more than 180 days in any 12 month period.

Quite how that works I have no idea. Presumably if you have TB people can catch it from you whether you are here for six months or six years. I noticed when my wife was going for settlement that diplomats wanting to settle here also don't require a TB test. Government employee germs are obviously not catching!

Is that a fact that its a maximum 180 days in any 12 month period? If so no test necessary as it says the guideline says  'if you want to come to the UK for more than 6 months from Thailand' That would seem to be the answer as far as i can tell...it would be good if i could call VFS or e-mail but not possible.

You only need to take a TB test, at the nominated Centre, if you are intending to spend longer than six months in the UK, you can't do that with a Standard Visit Visa.

You can only normally spend 180 days in the UK in a 12 month period, whilst this is a UKBA convention rather than something written into Immigration Law you would encounter difficulties if you exceeded it.

For the avoidance of doubt, a TB test is not required for any Standard Visit Visa, be it for 6 months, 2, 5 or even 10 years.