Criminal record check

I am planning to apply for a retirement (Non-immigrant category O, O-A) visa soon. Here's one of the requirements as listed at a Thai consulate site for this visa type:

"Criminal Record Certificate, not more than 3 months old, issued by the country of which the applicant is a national or a permanent resident"

I am an American, last lived in Madison, WI, and left 12 years ago to move here to Thailand. I am currently employed here on a category F visa.

So, where do I go for the criminal check? Thailand (effectively permanent resident, not officially) or US (national, but never been back last 12 years)?

If Thailand, how do I go about this?

If US: I just went into the Wisconsin on-line system and got a criminal background check done on myself in 5min. It's a pdf file with a Wisconsin Dept. of Justice letterhead. Easy enough but will it do for Thai Immigration or do I need an all-US check? For a US check I found https://www.usacriminalbackground.com/ on-line but it's obviously a private agency. Will they be accepted by Thai immigration? FBI checks seem long and complicated.

Any light on this matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you planning on traveling to the US to apply for the OA visa? You can only apply for it there at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at  immigration here. No need for a background check or medical certificate. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the2 totaling 800k baht.

If you currently on an extension of stay issued by immigration you could change the reason for your extension to retirement without leaving the country.

Edit: You asked about the a retirement visa here before. Did you forget about that topic. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981422-ques-re-retirement-visa/#comment-11852860

Edited by ubonjoe

A Non Imm 0-A Visa can only be applied for at a Thai Embassy/Consulate within the Country of which you are a national or have permanent residency. In your case it would seem the USA is your only option.

Your other option is to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, or marriage, from your local Immigration office.

long ago i tried getting one of these in the USA; local police laughed ; for such thing across all USA states, you would need FBI;

local large police office said it would take a long time and they might just shelve the request;

thai immig might not really know what comprises 'adequate' police report in USA and might just glance at your Wisconsin report and consider it adequate

7 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

thai immig might not really know what comprises 'adequate' police report in USA and might just glance at your Wisconsin report and consider it adequate

Why would immigration be looking at a police report. It is only needed to apply for a OA visa at a embassy or consulate.

Respectively, you appear to be an excellent authority on Thai immigration activities. I add my following comments from my 35-year work experience as a US law enforcement official:

As it applies to a OA Visa holder and looking to apply for an extension, the police report merely checks a box that the cited applicant has no police infractions since the last submitted report. The benefit for this review from the law enforcement community is to reject "bad apples" from staying in Thailand under the long-term Visa extension basis. Not sure what type of universal databases are available in Thailand but the US has a couple of databases which allow limited access privileges based on the users need(s).

Maybe this review will deport problem Farangs based on creditable law enforcement records.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, lcp0761 said:

As it applies to a OA Visa holder and looking to apply for an extension,

There is no requirement for the background check to apply for an extension.

Thai immigration only checks with interpol for warrants when they suspect some illegal activity. 

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

long ago i tried getting one of these in the USA; local police laughed ; for such thing across all USA states, you would need FBI;

local large police office said it would take a long time and they might just shelve the request;

Your local police were wrong and/or being lazy.   It takes a a day at best with fingerprints; although the FBI can take up to 3 days to process if there is a backlog.    When I was in the military and as a civilian contractor, I managed caseloads for clearances so have firsthand experience.

• Like 1

There is no requirement for the background check to apply for an extension.
Thai immigration only checks with interpol for warrants when they suspect some illegal activity. 

Maybe not a bad idea to run all "long-term" applicants for consistency vs only suspect applicants. Should be easy to do in today's electronic age.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm assembling documents for O-A retirement visa extension for submission to the LA consulate. By far the best way to do it if you are a US citizen that happens to be in the US.

ThaiConsulateLA.org/service_visa_detail

Their site is very clear about what you need. Go there and read it all!!!!

1. You do need a medical certificate from your doctor. Download link provided.Take it and get it filled out and notarized and notarized copies.
  2. You do need a bank letter and proof of funds in excess of 800K baht
  3. You do need verification letter from Social Security o pension; do the web site and navigate to Verification of Income and print that, copy, notarize.
  4. Yes, the combined sum of the two must exceed 800K baht
  5. You do need 4 recent 2x2" photos, with name printed on back.
  6. You do need 4 original/copies/notarized of VISA application forms . Download link provided
  7. You do need 4 original/copies/notarized of Personal Data Form.  Download link provided
  8. You do need 4 copies of passport picture page,
  9. You do need to surrender your actual passport
  10. You do need a cashier's check for $200.
  11. You do need to send all by Fedex or equivalent and include return prepaid delivery of some sort.
  12. it takes 5-7 days.

Be sure to follow the instructions about how many copies, notarization, etc.

I think this is the minimum brain-damage approach and doesn't involve any Thai help from that end.

Get your 90 extension and passport back, go to LOS, open bank account, transfer money, and go to IO near you after money has 'seasoned' for 60 days. Have recent proof of funds document from Thai bank and proof of residence in LOS ready.

Haven't done that last part yet but at least most of the process is done outside Thailand. ::)

good luck

Edited by RocketDog
add criminal background check info

Your local police department will issue you a proof of criminal history for a few bucks. $10 in my case.

Your State Bureau of Investigation will also give you a background record check online downloadable in PDF format for download for a few bucks. $8.95 in my case.

I have it on solid word from a lady that does this stuff all the time that either document is sufficient. They just want to know if you've been arrested and thrown in jail for serious things.

RocketDog said: " I'm assembling documents for O-A retirement visa extension for submission to the LA consulate. "

In your last paragraph you talk about getting 90 days within which you can meet the requirements for a one-year extension. That would only apply if you get an O visa, not an O-A.

2 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

RocketDog said: " I'm assembling documents for O-A retirement visa extension for submission to the LA consulate. "

In your last paragraph you talk about getting 90 days within which you can meet the requirements for a one-year extension. That would only apply if you get an O visa, not an O-A.

You can apply for an extension during the last 30 days (45 days at some Immigration offices) of any of the 90 day entries from either a Non Imm O or Non Imm O-A Visa.

However agreed if your intention is to apply for an extension of stay in Thailand, the requirements for single entry Non Imm O Visa, or the multi entry Non Imm O Visa if married to a Thai. are far less demanding than that of an 0-A Visa.

No Criminal record check, or Health certificate required.

6 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

The entries on a Non Immi OA are 12 months, not 90 days.

Your correct, but regardless of the validity of entry, permission to stay is 90 consecutive days.

The 0-A then allows the choice of remaining and filing a 90 day report, or leave and re-enter to get another 90 day permission to stay.

Perhaps I should have stated during the last 30 days (45 days at some Immigration offices) of any of the 90 day permissions to stay, to be clearer.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your correct, but regardless of the validity of entry, permission to stay is 90 consecutive days.

That is not exactly the correct way to state it. The date on the entry stamp is how long you can stay in the country without being on an overstay.

The 90 day reporting has nothing to do with your permit to stay. If you don't do them you are not deported from the country or on an overstay. You only get fined for late reporting or not reporting.

22 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Your local police department will issue you a proof of criminal history for a few bucks. $10 in my case.

Your State Bureau of Investigation will also give you a background record check online downloadable in PDF format for download for a few bucks. $8.95 in my case.

I have it on solid word from a lady that does this stuff all the time that either document is sufficient. They just want to know if you've been arrested and thrown in jail for serious things.

Which state is that?  

Your state is definitely less complicated than VA requirement need applicant's signature notarize then wait 15 days for the police record. 

At one time I wanted to get my retirement visa from the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. I got my criminal record check from the local police department. It simply said "No wants or warrants and no record. It was free. I failed to get the visa because my doctor would not sign the form for the medical check without actually doing the tests. Those tests were expensive to do and my insurance would not pay for them.

After I arrived in Thailand, I applied for a retirement visa and was told that I had to wait until the Los Angeles issued visa expired and although they took the criminal record check, they told me that it was not needed.

• 1 year later...

A question I'd really like answered... suppose someone is here on tourist visa or extended tourist visa and causing trouble. Is it possible to have them deported if they have a criminal record in the states? Anyone know anything about that?