Canadian Killed In Robbery At Gunpoint

george

In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

The woman should have come out with a shotgun and blown his head into pulp. Handbags do little against a firearm.

A very backwards country is Thailand in this regard.

We can only hope to be as safe from gun crime as they are in the US :o

Yeah... can only hope... ROFL...

Very Sad for Family and Friends :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canadian killed in robbery

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian man was shot dead and three compatriots injured in a robbery last night in their condominium off Sukhumvit Soi 18.

The lone robber climbed into the room on 10th floor of City Smart Condominium while the four Canadians, including victim Mark Jay Keffer, 42, and a number of foreign guests were celebrating Christmas.

The robber, apparently a Thai man, asked them to hand over their valuables at gunpoint.

He started shooting when a woman guest, a relative of room owner Norzachray Nordin, a Bruneian, hit him with her handbag. Keffer and all three injured people were later sent to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Thong Lor police station duty inspector Pol Maj Saravuth Dejsri said he suspected the robber, who had easy access to the room from a communal area, could have been tipped off about the party by people working or residing at the condo.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

The woman should have come out with a shotgun and blown his head into pulp. Handbags do little against a firearm.

No, guns are bad, if there were no guns on the streets then this prick couldn't have shot them. The solution is not more guns as the US government would want you to think.

By your standards, pretty much all countries in (western) Europe are very backwards.

I thought the US had one of the highest rates of deaths by firearms in the world, counting both accidents and murders. I sure don't want that in Thailand.

The US might have a high rate of deaths (by firearms) but you are seven times more likely to be murdered (with a firearm) in Thailand than in you are in the US.

That's gotta say something for "jai yen" hasn't it.

Edited by HenryB

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian man was shot dead and three compatriots injured in a robbery last night in their condominium off Sukhumvit Soi 18.

The lone robber climbed into the room on 10th floor of City Smart Condominium while the four Canadians, including victim Mark Jay Keffer, 42, and a number of foreign guests were celebrating Christmas.

The robber, apparently a Thai man, asked them to hand over their valuables at gunpoint.

He started shooting when a woman guest, a relative of room owner Norzachray Nordin, a Bruneian, hit him with her handbag. Keffer and all three injured people were later sent to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Thong Lor police station duty inspector Pol Maj Saravuth Dejsri said he suspected the robber, who had easy access to the room from a communal area, could have been tipped off about the party by people working or residing at the condo.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

First thing I would check is if the robber's related to the victims wife.

Sounds like a creative variation of the farang "falling" off his balcony

I agree you understand Thai Wives.

[

Coming from the East Coast of the States, I fully agree with this approach. In fact, there is some small town/city in Arizona where the law dictates that all residents possess a firearm ... a weapon in every home. This results in the crime rate almost being zero!

I guess police can catch this guy by finding out what room he came from.

Too bad somebody didn't give him a push out from the balcony during the escape.

I already have had two burgulary's in my house, both times I was out traveling!

Suspect that secutity guards give thieves tip who is not home in the village.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

--The Nation 2006-12-26

Why all the negatives? All I ever see here is people first being sorry that a guy has died and then being very sarcastic about Thailand. Gun robberies happen all over the world. It happens in the UK and it happens in the good old USA and it happens here. Its a global problem which is the fault of the rich getting richer and the poor poorer. Or if you like "no peace for the wicked". Its a damed crime and an innocent has died. Thats the fact and its not nice. We live in this world where a gun is thought to be power. How wrong that is.

I would like to say to his family how sorry i am to hear this news. And at Christmas too.

What sad news for Christmas, I feel very sorry for his family.

Regardless of what others here may think, this is not a debate on gun crime in the US.

A question was asked about the most dangerous place for gun crime a few posts back, for Bangkok at least, the answer is Ratchadapisek Rd.

Cheers.

hmm, I think the point is that in the US we can buy a guy without much trouble and make it "legal".

I had a 9mm just inside the door, so when I came home I could check... is it there? is it loaded still?

If the answer to both of those were yes then I had a better chance at not becoming a victim in my own house.

In Thailand and America there are people that will rob you. In America I felt safer about what I could do.

Here I'm not all that sure. I know that I'd better fight for my life in a fight, but if someone's pointing a gun

at me - can I shoot them with my girlfriend's registered gun? A friends? My landlords? Can I beat them

with a handbag and then, after they drop the gun, shoot them with it? Cut their throat with a knife?

I'm not sure. I've heard stories about people that DID apply deadly force to someone that did it to them first - and they ended up with jail sentences. Am I remembering that correctly? Anybody know what we can and can't do legally - or where it might be on the web?

I'd like to link to that from my site too...

In Thailand it's harder for foreigners, though I heard NOT impossible to get a gun registered in their own name. Is that true?

Vern

Thaipulse site, Long-strand-DNA Blog

A lady try to hit a gunman with a handbag in the middle of a robbery???? Oh Gosh... I just dont understand. She may be better of if she use a chair or something solid but then again its a she..for all you know the chair may be heaver then her....give the robber everythings....if you face with someone armed run for your life.

Edited by gentman

Good God, it's fun to be an American! A Canadian guy gets shot at Christmas and I've got to be embarrassed by fellow Americans posting jacka** NRA crap gun control. I'd prefer if you posted your drivel as a separate post and stick to the topic at hand.

As to the topic at hand, my condolences to all the people directly affected by this despicable act, all the moreso at Xmas time, which will now be haunting many friends and relatives for the distant future, I guess.

Too late. Thailand is already way ahead in that catagory.

Nation Master - Murders by firearm per capita

You might find the total murder stats interesting too. Thailand takes position 14:

Murders per capita

And how about total murders by firearms irrespective of population:

Total murders by firearm

Interestingly, the Philippines was not on the list, which is strange considering what a dangerous country most experts on here seem to think it is.

Edited by tropo

By your standards, pretty much all countries in (western) Europe are very backwards.

I thought the US had one of the highest rates of deaths by firearms in the world, counting both accidents and murders. I sure don't want that in Thailand.

This statisctic looks a bit strange to me. Could you explain how to read the figures? For instance if we look Thai murder rates, it appears that total murders are less than murders carried out by using firearms.

Murders: 5,140

Murders (per capita): 0.0800798 per 1,000 people

Murders with firearms: 20,032

Murders with firearms (per capita): 0.312093 per 1,000 people

Rapes: 4,020

Total crimes: 565,108

Then again, if you look US rates, it appears that firearm murders are included to the total number of cases. Are these figures including covernment actions, (Army, Police, Paramilitary, though usually they are not counted as criminal acts) This may inlcude, for instance actions agains drug dealers, certain anti government incidents in the southern region, and along Burmese border. In my opinion, it is quite difficult get unanimous and clear idea about rate of violent crimes by just looking for this statistics, even the information may be accurate,, but they are not specified. Perhaps you got better idea?

Edited by jake1606

--The Nation 2006-12-26

Yeah right !!

Lets have the same gun laws as they do in America. Its working so well over there. (sarcasm)

This statisctic looks a bit strange to me. Could you explain how to read the figures? For instance if we look Thai murder rates, it appears that total murders are less than murders carried out by using firearms.

Murders: 5,140

Murders (per capita): 0.0800798 per 1,000 people

Murders with firearms: 20,032

Murders with firearms (per capita): 0.312093 per 1,000 people

Rapes: 4,020

Total crimes: 565,108

Then again, if you look US rates, it appears that firearm murders are included to the total number of cases. Are these figures including covernment actions, (Army, Police, Paramilitary, though usually they are not counted as criminal acts) This may inlcude, for instance actions agains drug dealers, certain anti government incidents in the southern region, and along Burmese border. In my opinion, it is quite difficult get unanimous and clear idea about rate of violent crimes by just looking for this statistics, even the information may be accurate,, but they are not specified. Perhaps you got better idea?

I agree, it's hard to read too much into these figures, and the site has little in the way of notes or explanations. Some figures appear to be taken from the CIA Fact Book, but as for the source of the others, who knows?

Edited by tropo

Too late. Thailand is already way ahead in that catagory.

Nation Master - Murders by firearm per capita

You might find the total murder stats interesting too. Thailand takes position 14:

Murders per capita

And how about total murders by firearms irrespective of population:

Total murders by firearm

Interestingly, the Philippines was not on the list, which is strange considering what a dangerous country most experts on here seem to think it is.

Well a quick Google shows 2004 rate for the Philippines to be 7.85 per 100k which would put it in position 15 if they had bothered to list it. Source http://www.globalintegrity.org/2004/countr...h&act=facts

After a deeper looks at the numbers on this site ( http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...arms-per-capita and http://www.nationmaster.com/country/th-thailand/cri-crime ), I guess some numbers are wrong...

Thailand is #3, with a rate 6 times superior to the #4 ... :o

Many comments on this site lead to think it's not accurate, in many ways...

I'm not sure, but it seems that "20,032" is the yearly number of murder done with firearms.

That's 55 / day... Isn't that too much ? Or the Thai news are covered with bloodbath every evening ? (I'm not a news watcher, so I have personally not much idea about this)

First thing I would check is if the robber's related to the victims wife.

Sounds like a creative variation of the farang "falling" off his balcony

I agree you understand Thai Wives.

Thai wife...farang has condo...thai wife provokes gunman to shoot....farang dead....Thai wife rich.

Whats wrong with this picture folks?

Sure hope Sargent Nop will arrest the perp soon. Climbed into the room from a 10th floor balcony from a common area? Top Security huh?

Dotcom,

Your breasts are fantastic. Please post regularly on all forums.

Did he write something, must have missed it, saw the boobies but.

We can only hope to be as safe from gun crime as they are in the US :D

Yes as they are in the US no shooting at all :o The safest contry to be in!!

should be like the uk no guns for anybody /im not saying that we dont have gun crime but we at least dont encurridge them ? guns kill and thats a fact ? condolencies to the family

..In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

A very backwards country is Thailand in this regard...

No disrespect to your opinion Yankee-expat, but based on your comment you no doubt think the UK is a backwards Country as well, as it has always been illegal to privately own firearms AND for quite a few years not even gun clubs are allowed to own many calibres of guns. The vast majority of UK citizens are happy with this situation, and are ONLY "not so sure" when it comes to the debate about arming our Police.

Forgive me for totally disagreeing with your opinion. In the US thieves come with guns and are willing to use them BECAUSE they know the occupiers may well have guns themselves (the danger level of a gun exchange is raised). We in the UK feel that in many cases thieves will not come with guns, and IF they do they will refrain and be very reluctant to use them as they know the occupiers are HIGHLY likely not to be armed. At the end of the day property is only material but human life precious.

Forgive me also, for feeling a "no gun" option is best (it takes the guns out of drunken users, angry users and in some cases non proficient users). Police are very well trained in the US on when to recognize a threat and need for gun use. Citizens rarely are trained to anything like that level, and are more likely to panic and misread a situation.

I appreciate many will agree with your views and I accept there is no definitive answer, BUT I wished to put a valid different point of view. It is NOT by accident that the UK has continuously elected not to allow guns to be legal, and I am sure Thailand has decided the same for similar reasons (as have many other countries) I am sure being backwards is not 0.001% of the reason. I also do not feel that is Thailand backwards.

I would also mention that not everybody wishes to resort to extreme violence or blow somebody's head off for a robbery. We will never know, but I suspect had the person not attacked the robber then nobody would have been hurt physically.

Please do not get me wrong yankee-expat I have no love for criminals, as its not only the stuff they steal but the emotional damage and feeling of insecurity they leave their victims with for many years (maybe a lifetime).

Kind regards

Dave

--The Nation 2006-12-26

Sorry for the family, truly tragic story

America spends every year on war fare 18,000$ for every hour since the birth of Jesus, (18,000% * 24 * 365 * 2007) yet the people living in america manage to kill more people every year than their well funded army.

Also america has the largest amount of gun crime prisoners in the world.

Once again a tragic story

should be like the uk no guns for anybody /im not saying that we dont have gun crime but we at least dont encurridge them ? guns kill and thats a fact ? condolencies to the family

Guns don't kill people! People kill people.

I'm from the US and like most people with any kind of intelligence, we are embarrassed by our gun policies. But sadly, money rules in the States and the gun lobby is extremely powerful. Outside of them, only the hillbillies and cowboys really support our gun policies. Now I'm not saying that the US should eliminate guns. There's a lot of open space in the States especially in the midwest and west. Rifles are an important part of life for many farmers and hunters. However, allowing handguns in cities and suburban areas is just plain stupid. Most Americans that I know are ashamed of our current government, the gun companies, tobacco companies, and oil companies but try not to indict us all for their crap... as tempting as it may be.

And to all Europeans and to all countries in the United Nations, please accept my apoligies for my government snubbing its nose at the one organization that was designed to bring cohesion to the world.

Oh yeah, and since I'm doing so much apologizing, I should apologize to all Arab nations for not working harder to find peaceful methods of resolution as apposed to pointing guns at you. However, going back to the gun companies and oil companies... I'm sure they were pushing hard for a war in the middle east. Both organizations are recording record profits from it.

Dakota