Canadian Killed In Robbery At Gunpoint

george

In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

The woman should have come out with a shotgun and blown his head into pulp. Handbags do little against a firearm.

A very backwards country is Thailand in this regard.

I agree with yankee-expat. The United States founders recognized that only a vigilant armed citizenry is an effective deterrent against armed criminals. Police are good only for taping off the crime scene AFTER the deed is done. If criminals are well aware that their intended victim is most likely armed, they will not risk a confrontation. However, in a country where the government has foolishly made it illegal to own self-defense weapons, criminals know going in that they are most likely going to find defense-less victims. Thus emboldened, they take the chance.

While the wife in this case was unlikely to have a shot gun at the ready, she may very well have had her own .357 Magnum. And if each of the other guests had their firearms, the thief would have found himself surrounded and outgunned. Not a bad formula for peace, I believe! Thailand is not alone in it's position regarding gun ownership. I believe this is more out of fear that an armed citizenry has the capacity to rise up against their masters than any other reason.

Thats why a they are increasingly going after falangs. They know the Thais are much more likely to have a gun in the home.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canadian killed in robbery

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian man was shot dead and three compatriots injured in a robbery last night in their condominium off Sukhumvit Soi 18.

The lone robber climbed into the room on 10th floor of City Smart Condominium while the four Canadians, including victim Mark Jay Keffer, 42, and a number of foreign guests were celebrating Christmas.

The robber, apparently a Thai man, asked them to hand over their valuables at gunpoint.

He started shooting when a woman guest, a relative of room owner Norzachray Nordin, a Bruneian, hit him with her handbag. Keffer and all three injured people were later sent to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Thong Lor police station duty inspector Pol Maj Saravuth Dejsri said he suspected the robber, who had easy access to the room from a communal area, could have been tipped off about the party by people working or residing at the condo.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

In America anyone can own a gun as long as they are not a criminal. Aliens who establish residency by just living in a State can go out and buy a gun and anyone can buy a shotgun. Too bad we in the USA allow law abiding people to own a firearm but not here.

The woman should have come out with a shotgun and blown his head into pulp. Handbags do little against a firearm.

I guess police can catch this guy by finding out what room he came from.

Too bad somebody didn't give him a push out from the balcony during the escape.

I already have had two burgulary's in my house, both times I was out traveling!

Suspect that secutity guards give thieves tip who is not home in the village.

Nice to see your initial conclusions Maigret (give him a push out from the balcony during the escape) :D

Why in God's name would the guy leave by the balcony when he could walk out the door ? :o

Edited by john b good

I agree with yankee-expat. The United States founders recognized that only a vigilant armed citizenry is an effective deterrent against armed criminals. Police are good only for taping off the crime scene AFTER the deed is done. If criminals are well aware that their intended victim is most likely armed, they will not risk a confrontation. However, in a country where the government has foolishly made it illegal to own self-defense weapons, criminals know going in that they are most likely going to find defense-less victims. Thus emboldened, they take the chance.

While the wife in this case was unlikely to have a shot gun at the ready, she may very well have had her own .357 Magnum. And if each of the other guests had their firearms, the thief would have found himself surrounded and outgunned. Not a bad formula for peace, I believe! Thailand is not alone in it's position regarding gun ownership. I believe this is more out of fear that an armed citizenry has the capacity to rise up against their masters than any other reason.

Iraq, they had guns, they had a dictator.

Japan has few guns and is really safe.

Do you really want to be at a party with a bunch of drunk people and have guns about? One stupid argument can lead to tragedy.

(oh and I am for the right to bear arms, I just think some of the extremists arguements are plain dumb)

By your standards, pretty much all countries in (western) Europe are very backwards.

I thought the US had one of the highest rates of deaths by firearms in the world, counting both accidents and murders. I sure don't want that in Thailand.

Too late. Thailand is already way ahead in that catagory.

Nation Master - Murders by firearm per capita

I think that most of the murders by handguns in the USA are in states that DO NOT allow the average citizen to carry a handgun. The higher the degree of gun control the higher the rate of murder by handgun. Look up the number of murders by race both doing the killing and being killed in the USA. It isn't the whites running around shooting the whites.

Of course there is a lot more whites than blacks. If you put 5 white marbles in a can and 2 black ones, shake the can and pick one out by random you are more likely to get a white one (duh). Are there a higher percentage of black criminals than whites? Yes. There are a number of reasons for this BUT just saying that blacks kill more whites than whites kill blacks doesn't prove much.

I think he was pointing out that most gun murders are perpetrated by blacks on blacks. That actually does say a great deal.

Dweeb

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian man was shot dead and three compatriots injured in a robbery last night in their condominium off Sukhumvit Soi 18.

The lone robber climbed into the room on 10th floor of City Smart Condominium while the four Canadians, including victim Mark Jay Keffer, 42, and a number of foreign guests were celebrating Christmas.

The robber, apparently a Thai man, asked them to hand over their valuables at gunpoint.

He started shooting when a woman guest, a relative of room owner Norzachray Nordin, a Bruneian, hit him with her handbag. Keffer and all three injured people were later sent to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Thong Lor police station duty inspector Pol Maj Saravuth Dejsri said he suspected the robber, who had easy access to the room from a communal area, could have been tipped off about the party by people working or residing at the condo.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

Are you completey braindead???

Why are most of the posts throwing mud at Americans? This is about a tragic event at a private party in BKK. Real life is quite different than movies. I'm sure everyone at the party has seen movies where the movie star hero thwarts the best efforts of a half dozen tough guys weilding automatic weapons - all with a few well place karate kicks and a couple of vaults over the furniture. I must admit, if I'd been in attendance, I'd be one of those hare-brained wanna-be heroes who might try to tussle with the thief. It takes all types, but if thieves are aware that there are some loose cannons out there (oddballs who might break a chair or a bottle over their skull, etc) they might strike less often. ...just a thought.

I'm from the US and like most people with any kind of intelligence, we are embarrassed by our gun policies. But sadly, money rules in the States and the gun lobby is extremely powerful. Outside of them, only the hillbillies and cowboys really support our gun policies. Now I'm not saying that the US should eliminate guns. There's a lot of open space in the States especially in the midwest and west. Rifles are an important part of life for many farmers and hunters. However, allowing handguns in cities and suburban areas is just plain stupid. Most Americans that I know are ashamed of our current government, the gun companies, tobacco companies, and oil companies but try not to indict us all for their crap... as tempting as it may be.

And to all Europeans and to all countries in the United Nations, please accept my apoligies for my government snubbing its nose at the one organization that was designed to bring cohesion to the world.

Oh yeah, and since I'm doing so much apologizing, I should apologize to all Arab nations for not working harder to find peaceful methods of resolution as apposed to pointing guns at you. However, going back to the gun companies and oil companies... I'm sure they were pushing hard for a war in the middle east. Both organizations are recording record profits from it.

Dakota

Dakota, please don't speak for me. I am an American & I am not embaressed about our gun policies, nor am I a hillbilly or a cowboy. Also note that we are not the only nation in the world that manufactures cigarettes, we just make the "best" cigarettes that the rest of the world wants. And why should I be ashamed of US oil companies? I suppose you ALWAYS walk or ride a bike wherever you go? How did you get to Thailand? Did you take an airplane? Geez, don't they use fuel that is refined from crude oil? Wicked oil companies...shame on them for making a profit for their stock holders & providing you the life style you want.

As far as the UN, we all know what a wonderful, corruption & crime free organization that is. Seems like I remember a news story not to long ago about UN soldiers raping civillians in another "peace action." Oh yeah, the "oil for food" debacle, Kofi Annan's son making millions off of UN contracts as well as his multi million dollar apartment...the list goes on and my fingers are tired...

Again, please don't speak for me. I am as ashamed of you as you are of me.

Edited by TLloyd

I'm from the US and like most people with any kind of intelligence, we are embarrassed by our gun policies. But sadly, money rules in the States and the gun lobby is extremely powerful. Outside of them, only the hillbillies and cowboys really support our gun policies. Now I'm not saying that the US should eliminate guns. There's a lot of open space in the States especially in the midwest and west. Rifles are an important part of life for many farmers and hunters. However, allowing handguns in cities and suburban areas is just plain stupid. Most Americans that I know are ashamed of our current government, the gun companies, tobacco companies, and oil companies but try not to indict us all for their crap... as tempting as it may be.

And to all Europeans and to all countries in the United Nations, please accept my apoligies for my government snubbing its nose at the one organization that was designed to bring cohesion to the world.

Oh yeah, and since I'm doing so much apologizing, I should apologize to all Arab nations for not working harder to find peaceful methods of resolution as apposed to pointing guns at you. However, going back to the gun companies and oil companies... I'm sure they were pushing hard for a war in the middle east. Both organizations are recording record profits from it.

Dakota

Dakota, please don't speak for me. I am an American & I am not embaressed about our gun policies, nor am I a hillbilly or a cowboy. Also note that we are not the only nation in the world that manufactures cigarettes, we just make the "best" cigarettes that the rest of the world wants. And why should I be ashamed of US oil companies? I suppose you ALWAYS walk or ride a bike wherever you go? How did you get to Thailand? Did you take an airplane? Geez, don't they use fuel that is refined from crude oil? Wicked oil companies...shame on them for making a profit for their stock holders & providing you the life style you want.

As far as the UN, we all know what a wonderful, corruption & crime free organization that is. Seems like I remember a news story not to long ago about UN soldiers raping civillians in another "peace action." Oh yeah, the "oil for food" debacle, Kofi Annan's son making millions off of UN contracts as well as his multi million dollar apartment...the list goes on and my fingers are tired...

Again, please don't speak for me. I am as ashamed of you as you are of me.

He did not speak for you, he spoke for americans "with any kind of intelligence"

well I think the States are the backward country here we all know you hanging on to a straw from the colonial days about your so called God given right of having a gun explain to me why more americans die from gunshots then anything else

and i f god would give you folks that right ... well says a lot about God

get a life or go home Mr Heston your opinion is so "american" always better in the old US of A well then what the hel_l you doing in Thailand ?? last thing Thailand needs is a bunnch of cowboys with guns supposetly protecting themseves

--The Nation 2006-12-26

--The Nation 2006-12-26

This statisctic looks a bit strange to me. Could you explain how to read the figures? For instance if we look Thai murder rates, it appears that total murders are less than murders carried out by using firearms.

Murders: 5,140

Murders (per capita): 0.0800798 per 1,000 people

Murders with firearms: 20,032

Murders with firearms (per capita): 0.312093 per 1,000 people

Rapes: 4,020

Total crimes: 565,108

Then again, if you look US rates, it appears that firearm murders are included to the total number of cases. Are these figures including covernment actions, (Army, Police, Paramilitary, though usually they are not counted as criminal acts) This may inlcude, for instance actions agains drug dealers, certain anti government incidents in the southern region, and along Burmese border. In my opinion, it is quite difficult get unanimous and clear idea about rate of violent crimes by just looking for this statistics, even the information may be accurate,, but they are not specified. Perhaps you got better idea?

I agree, it's hard to read too much into these figures, and the site has little in the way of notes or explanations. Some figures appear to be taken from the CIA Fact Book, but as for the source of the others, who knows?

The really scary thing is not the number of murders, scary though it may be - it is the number of murders the boys in brown actually mange to solve, which is way less than most other countries. I had some stats before, but can't find them now - can anyone help?

Why are most of the posts throwing mud at Americans? This is about a tragic event at a private party in BKK. Real life is quite different than movies. I'm sure everyone at the party has seen movies where the movie star hero thwarts the best efforts of a half dozen tough guys weilding automatic weapons - all with a few well place karate kicks and a couple of vaults over the furniture. I must admit, if I'd been in attendance, I'd be one of those hare-brained wanna-be heroes who might try to tussle with the thief. It takes all types, but if thieves are aware that there are some loose cannons out there (oddballs who might break a chair or a bottle over their skull, etc) they might strike less often. ...just a thought.

well posted brahmburgers. I am not sure why some posters feel the need to throw in US murder rates/gun control policies etc etc when neither the perpetrator, nor the victims were American, nor were they in the US. What goes on in the US has absolutely no relevance to the story whatsoever.

The fact of the matter is the burglar was prepared to shoot, regardless of what the woman with the purse did. And please note, the burglar was Thai, the victim Canadian and the lady with the handbag from Brunei.

The fact of the matter is the burglar was prepared to shoot, regardless of what the woman with the purse did. And please note, the burglar was Thai, the victim Canadian and the lady with the handbag from Brunei.

well said.

this is about the murder during a robbery , not about gun control in america.

it begs the question of who is recruiting , how is the recruiting done , and who trains security guards at condominiums in this country.

city smart condo is a prestige block , recently opened , in the heart of bangkok.

security should have been watertight.

a newsbar at the bottom of the tv screen just said that the condo was owned by a friend of the sultan of brunei , if i read it correctly....

..... maybe that will kickstart a proper investigation into how and why the security guards at this condo failed its tenants with tragic results. another example of how shambolic amateurism , cheapskate business practice and a lack of standards passes for professionalism just about everywhere you look in this country.

I agree with yankee-expat. The United States founders recognized that only a vigilant armed citizenry is an effective deterrent against armed criminals.

That is simply incorrect. The founders wrote in the second Amendment to the US Constitution:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The right to bear arms was given by the founders in context of a well regulated militia whose purpose was political freedom and had nothing to do with thoughts towards deterring criminals. Nothing more maddening or dangerous than an uneducated gun nut. :o

well posted brahmburgers. I am not sure why some posters feel the need to throw in US murder rates/gun control policies etc etc when neither the perpetrator, nor the victims were American, nor were they in the US. What goes on in the US has absolutely no relevance to the story whatsoever.

here I must agree with SBK. I don't miss a chance to "peek on americans" (although at any others too, if there is something funny or odd) - but here, realy - victims are canadian and bruneis, country where it's happen - Thailand, and gunner is Thai too. what it has to do with americans?

SBK, I get a feeling that very soon TV "godfathers" will create one more separate political Forum as it's been done once already few years back, huh? because somehow it looks like most of threads inevitably tend to deviate into foreign politics, totally non related neither to OP/its subject or main orientation of TV - discussions about Thailand.

let's see what'll happen....

...I am not sure why some posters feel the need to throw in US murder rates/gun control policies etc etc when neither the perpetrator, nor the victims were American, nor were they in the US. What goes on in the US has absolutely no relevance to the story whatsoever...

Hypocrisy at it's best...everybody with a brain could imagine which direction this thread will take after the drivel from junkie-expat... all these Super- Moderators failed big time keeping this sad news on topic! :o

--The Nation 2006-12-26

This was the first post to link America to this thread. So?

And yes, I am sure a place would be very safe when everyone is carrying a gun on the street. No doubt I feel very insecure here in HK that I don't have a gun! :o

"""""""""(oh and I am for the right to bear arms, I just think some of the extremists arguements are plain dumb)""""""""

I thought the right to bear arms was because they wanted to wear short sleeves!

My condolences to the family and especially to the girl who hit the coward with her handbag. She must feel absolutely terrible.

Edited by Canadianvisitor

pretty much all countries in (western) Europe are very backwards.

Pssshaw!!! Actually quite "progressive" in a downhill fashion and if the USA continues on with its "politically-correct" trend, will follow them straight down the tube.

Iraq, they had guns, they had a dictator.

Saddam and the Sunni Bathhist had the guns...not "they" the majority Shiite citizens, all they had was a constant beating.

Japan has few guns and is really safe.

Very safe and culturally disposed to follow rules,regulations,and social morays to the enth degree. If told to maintain an arsenal of nukes in their living quarters they would do so without question and they would do so safely

do you also support the death penalty

Not as a deterrent, but strictly as a solution. Dead trash commit no crimes.

and George Bush?

No, but for entirely different reasons than I'm sure you would give. I prefer fact and reason to that "Bush lied, people died" drivel

I have better things to do than argue with someone from Stickville USA

Apparently not....then again, the fellow may be a complete metro-sexual from a large metropolitan area for all you know.

ofcourse, giving every citizen a gun is the PERFECT way to stop people from shooting each other.

It certainly worked well in Kennesaw,GA

Kennesaw has the nickname of "Gun Town, USA" due to a city ordinance passed in 1982 [sec 34-1a] that requires every head of household to maintain a firearm with ammunition. An 89% drop in the residential burglary rate soon followed enactment of the ordinance.

No, guns are bad,

Guns are neither good nor bad...they are inanimate objects.

if there were no guns on the streets then this prick couldn't have shot them.

Correct. They would have been stabbed, beaten with a moto-bike chain, set on fire, doused with corrosive acid, etc,etc,etc.

The solution is not more guns as the US government would want you to think.

Most evidently you know little of what the US govt. wants people to think. The constantly growing, ever intrusive US govt.,largely would like to repeal the 2nd Amendment creating a populace of over-taxed, brain-dead,unarmed sheep dependent on the US govt. from cradle to grave.....sounds somewhat like western europe, yes/no?

Also america has the largest amount of gun crime prisoners in the world.

73% of who are illegal aliens. Approx. 80% of that number Mexican nationals

LOL!!! All that looney-liberal guilt must be a heavy burden. Please don't involve others with you psychological problems

Why are most of the posts throwing mud at Americans?

Because it's fashionable :o !

A common theme seen in surfing international forums is a bizarre obsession with the USA...primarily among the Euros. Post a story about some poor soul being victimized on Sukhumvit and it will gather modest interest. Mention that it occurred near a McDonalds and half the posts will ultimately be anti USA rants having nothing to do with the subject matter in the OP. On one hand, it's juvenile and uninformed. On the other hand, these folks are taking out their vitriol on their keyboards rather than the real world so that's a plus.

--The Nation 2006-12-26

:o Ah yes our gun carrying flag waving, in your face Neighbours to the South (The Right to Bare Arms)

Or as their NRA says; an armed society is a polite society? Maybe that's why someone is injured by a gun in the USA every 3 minutes! ( Quote from Rod & Gun Magazine) God bless America (eh!)

In Canada no one carries a fire arms only law officials. I believe Thailand has harsh gun laws too, however like any country a criminal mind can always find a gun. I'm saddened at the buildings total lack of security. The poor wife must be mortified at everything, she will never look at Christmas or Thailand the same. The Thai Government still needs to protect it's visitor better.

My heart goes out to families. A another sad day for Thailand

--The Nation 2006-12-26

The reason this is even news is because someone was shot. If you arm everyone do you think you would read about more shootings or less? Cambodia might be more your style yankee.

Handbags do little against a firearm.

The reason this is even news is because someone was shot. If you arm everyone do you think you would read about more shootings or less? Cambodia might be more your style yankee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First--I do not own a gun.

Second--facts are always good in any talk.

America has the lowest murder rates in the rual areas of the nation where gun ownership is the highest. So it is true that the gun is not the problem here but violent jerkoffs are. I would prefer they could not get guns but they would just use other weapons then.

Let me ask you all this.

Do you think the guy comes in with a sword of some kind that he cannot kill?

I seem to remember that much of the mass killing in an African nation in the past was done without guns.

Now back on topic.

Thailand has a very very dangerous crowd out there in the streets. They do not care who they kill. Thai people and foreign are all victims of these jerks. Land of smiles? I think it is long ago dead.

I do not see many smiles out on the street or in the traffic. Do you?

About this crime.

Any debate about gun control here is stupid since it is very unlikely that anyone, even in a nation like America, would have been carrying a gun to a party of this sort.

About people who dislike America? You hate your own nation too most of you. You hate everything. You just are not happy campers.

Thailand?

Live in a very secured place if you can afford to do so.

Thai people do.

They have good security.

Thailand has done a great job in the past in showing the nation to be a peaceful non-violent nation in the media around the world. This is just not so is it.

Look at the statistics people.

ALL Thai people know better.

You should as well.

Stay safe.

[quote name='pete_r' date='2006-12-26 13:23:05' post='1048911'

I thought the US had one of the highest rates of deaths by firearms in the world, counting both accidents and murders. I sure don't want that in Thailand.

I think Iraq and Sudan have those honors at the moment...

Anyway, its not guns that kill people, it is people that kill people. Canada ha TWICE the gnus per capita than the US and a much lower gun crime rate. Switzerland has the highest gun ownership rate in the world and a low crime rate. It isn't the availability of guns that drives crime. Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns... Never owned a gun myself, but a dispassionate look at the facts produces ome pretty darned clear conclusions

Excuse me please, cowboy: what do you think an armed violator would do if he's faced to a gun? Wait to be shot? Regards to Carlton Heston :o

...I am not sure why some posters feel the need to throw in US murder rates/gun control policies etc etc when neither the perpetrator, nor the victims were American, nor were they in the US. What goes on in the US has absolutely no relevance to the story whatsoever...

Hypocrisy at it's best...everybody with a brain could imagine which direction this thread will take after the drivel from junkie-expat... all these Super- Moderators failed big time keeping this sad news on topic! :D

Completely agree!! I'm sure that most of the moderators love a good America-bashing like all the others do! :o

Excuse me please, cowboy: what do you think an armed violator would do if he's faced to a gun? Wait to be shot? Regards to Carlton Heston :o

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you are missing the point.

The bad guy here was just hit with a woman's handbag and he shot.

So ANY attempt to stop the bad guy here or anywhere else of course ups the chance of a violent respnse by the bad guys.

So do you say that we tell all the bad guys in the world that we all surrender? Go ahead and rob us all at will and do not have any fear at all that you will never face any problems at all in robbing us all.

Does this not strike us all as a massive mistake. It would for sure lead to more people stealing from us. It would ultimately lead to a breakdown in a nation. How about if he wants to rape you wife? That OK too?

You have no gun and are a pacifist so why should he worry.

How about if he wants your kids as well?

Pacifism in any one given case might seem ok here but on the whole it is a loser for all of us.

Yes--and Canada has a much higher gun ownership rate than does America and Canada has a very low murder rate.

It is not the guns people.

A bad guy loves unarmed homes.

Can you blame him?

hmm, I think the point is that in the US we can buy a guy without much trouble and make it "legal".

I had a 9mm just inside the door, so when I came home I could check... is it there? is it loaded still?

If the answer to both of those were yes then I had a better chance at not becoming a victim in my own house.

In Thailand and America there are people that will rob you. In America I felt safer about what I could do.

Here I'm not all that sure. I know that I'd better fight for my life in a fight, but if someone's pointing a gun

at me - can I shoot them with my girlfriend's registered gun? A friends? My landlords? Can I beat them

with a handbag and then, after they drop the gun, shoot them with it? Cut their throat with a knife?

I'm not sure. I've heard stories about people that DID apply deadly force to someone that did it to them first - and they ended up with jail sentences. Am I remembering that correctly? Anybody know what we can and can't do legally - or where it might be on the web?

I'd like to link to that from my site too...

In Thailand it's harder for foreigners, though I heard NOT impossible to get a gun registered in their own name. Is that true?

Vern

Thaipulse site, Long-strand-DNA Blog

Having spent almost all my adult life carrying weapons (in the Army and then as a policeman), I can tell you that there is no hard and fast rule about the use of deadly force. In the United States, you have to prove that you were in fear of your life if you use a weapon to take someone else's life. Thailand's laws are a little more nebulous, but pretty much follow the same principals. The bottom line is the old adage "It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."

By the way, for all of you who seem comforted by the proximity of deadly weapons, I can tell you from experience that carrying a weapon all the time is not a joyful feeling and the responsibility weighs heavy on the soul.